I got a salmon head recovery letter yesterday for some heads I sent in in mid September. I had 2 springs I got from the trap that where Robertson creek fish ( 2017 brood ) and then 2 other springs I got off the waterfront that where sooke net pen fish ( 2017 brood)

It’s nice to see some of the fruits of the labour that the sooke net pen project has done !! I also thought it a tad off that Robertson creek fish where off East sooke in early September but maybe they came down the inside ? Or maybe they had plans of staying in the salt for another year or more ? I guess other members have reported similar catches of to Robertson creek fish in the same area over the years. I was just curious if they could have been from any other net pen or release project ? I think the fish that esq anglers where using for their project where Nitnat fish ?

Got out on Tuesday off the waterfront. Started at Sax point with not much showing upon the finder. Headed to Clover point and got a nice fat 63 cm hatch off the flagpole. Continued to clover and on the way back towards Esq got another bigger hatch again off flagpole. Both hit the Gibbs golden nugget in 100 ft of water. Did some loops in that area but no other bites. Was a bit choppy out so rolled it up around 2pm. Crab pots were empty. I guess that’s a wrap on last years licence with still a few spots unfilled in both Chinooks and Halibut.

Camping at Weirs Beach and spotted a few boats anchored up, anything biting? Considered whipping back into town to grab the boat but figured I’ve fed the dog fish enough!
Was out for Hali the last two weekends. One successful one not, but didn’t catch a single dogfish.

20 plus boats off William Head to Constance this morning in perfect early tide and weather conditions from 6;30 to 10.
No halibut from the three boats I talked to. Only 4 dogs for me....ugh
Now post all those hali the other guys caught and maybe I will try again soon.
Only 2 hali in 6 trips for me this season.
Also saw 4 or so today trolling Constance. Are Springs open right now for retention?

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a salmon head recovery letter yesterday for some heads I sent in in mid September. I had 2 springs I got from the trap that where Robertson creek fish ( 2017 brood ) and then 2 other springs I got off the waterfront that where sooke net pen fish ( 2017 brood)

It’s nice to see some of the fruits of the labour that the sooke net pen project has done !! I also thought it a tad off that Robertson creek fish where off East sooke in early September but maybe they came down the inside ? Or maybe they had plans of staying in the salt for another year or more ? I guess other members have reported similar catches of to Robertson creek fish in the same area over the years. I was just curious if they could have been from any other net pen or release project ? I think the fish that esq anglers where using for their project where Nitnat fish ?
Nope DFO SHUT us down 4 yrs ago after 27 yrs of doing net pens / harbour releases so the last 100,000 were put into Sooke river , has we were all set to do do a net pen at Ogden Pt with no cost to them as normal but had to now wire code / clip etc at a cost of $40,000 dollars which we don’t have , wouldn’t pay for food either , so that’s why no Nitinat stock in lower island waters any more , sad that was always a good August fishery

I gave the halibut a solid try this morning, until the ebb blew me off the pick at about 11am. West end of the mud hole, 2 dogfish, 0 halibut. Cleaning table looked pretty dry.

We had 3 boats out Saturday morning early until 11am for halibut. None of us found any joy. Decent crabs for the short soak off Saxe, 1/2 were light and the others were heavier. Got my head recovery info back as well ..out of 4 ...2 had no tags and one was Sooke net pen and the other was from Wash side of JDF

We had 3 boats out Saturday morning early until 11am for halibut. None of us found any joy. Decent crabs for the short soak off Saxe, 1/2 were light and the others were heavier. Got my head recovery info back as well ..out of 4 ...2 had no tags and one was Sooke net pen and the other was from Wash side of JDF
Interesting! When and where did you catch the Sooke Net Pen spring? I had a hit too and it was from Vic waterfront in early Aug which I thought was surprisingly early for a Sooke/Nitinat salmon there.

Fished Saturday in beautiful weather.
what’s the limit for dog fish? They were easy to catch. And big. After about a dozen dogs we hooked a real nice Hali but lost it beside boat due to a harpoon malfunction. Would have been close to max size.
Tried again Sunday in some pretty ****** weather. Few dogs and we packed it in early when tide started to oppose the wind and it was going to get worse.

The net pen fish was caught in front of Gordon's Beach on Sept 1st and the other was from the Hoko River taken on Sept 5th at Otter.

Nice morning today out with the crowd. Hit a bunch of dogs and then one rod cranked over and felt like an oversized Hali. After brining it up 200ft it headed back to the bottom. Turned out to be a skate. I popped out the circle hook and let him go.

Attachments

• IMG_20210405_101910278.jpg
    IMG_20210405_101910278.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 142
Back