2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

25lbs under 80cm! We caught 12 fish at Entrance last week and the 79-80cm fish weighed about 13-15lbs at best.
I'm sure admin is gonna put this stuff to an end here on the reports page pretty soon :) Yes a maxed out fat pig 80 is 16 max if it has a bunch of bait in it's gut. Lot's of fishermen weigh their fish with their eyes, not a calibrated scale :) Always lot's of discussion on this stuff on the forum when this slot size is in place. Might be time for another 80 cm 20lb derby again. Maybe with a bigger $ prize amount :p Sorry it's hard not to comment on this topic as it always pops up over and over again. I honestly really tried to ignore it this time. Don't want to discourage good reports though, keep em' coming!

So here we go again, 2 actual fishing report with useful information - thanks- really @- and 8 people criticizing the accuracy or details surrounding the report like a bunch of nitpicking housewives!....I though we go fishing to get away from that ? C'mon guys , cut it out - we don't really care how smart you are or well you know your regs and measurements and crap, we want to read useful reports. Please stop? And guys please don't let the critics make you stop reporting, they cant help trying to be right all the time , they were just not beaten enough as children or something. Keep them coming please. . . Our report: We picked up some nice larger pinks yesterday off Roger Curtis, at 97 feet, trolling whole small herring in Pro-troll rigs , 2.4 mph on the GPS/ sounder, and loaded up on prawn 5 gallon pail 3/4 full. Looks like [prawn are recovering after commercial opening - might be time to consider setting again, our test was good.. . Was good day not great, no keeper Coho but still a good day! Going to pan fry the pinks fillets in slices, in fish crisp and have fish sticks & eggs for breakfast and serve same to grandkids shortly. Pic of prawns tails in mild brine so don't freezer burn, and fillets on ice attached. Pinks are still salmon and tasty if cook them right!
Follow up important report! Well I will be damned, the Macdonald's eaten fussy little buggers love the Pink Salmon fish crisp and eggs benedict I made just minutes ago, 2 of them asked for seconds! I was gob-smacked, now any parent or grandparent knows this is an important report! they are eating healthy local caught pink and and healthy non-processed food - and like it! OMG! Evidence attached for the critics, LOL

Attachments

• fish crisp and eggs.jpg
    fish crisp and eggs.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 128
  • pink crisp and benny.jpg
    pink crisp and benny.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 125
Follow up important report! Well I will be damned, the Macdonald's eaten fussy little buggers love the Pink Salmon fish crisp and eggs benedict I made just minutes ago, 2 of them asked for seconds! I was gob-smacked, now any parent or grandparent knows this is an important report! they are eating healthy local caught pink and and healthy non-processed food - and like it! OMG! Evidence attached for the critics, LOL
Well done

Any tips for fishing a strong ebb in local waters here in Vancouver?

Tips: Turns are a bugger, almost guaranteed to tangle gear if running more than 2 lines and stacking.. One trick is try and find calm eddy nearby for your turns if you are stacking. Suggestion in stronger current is to NOT stack, find the sweet depth and run only 2 rods, shorten up the distance to your flashers and less likely to tangle. Another thing is speed; when running with current go faster, , running against go slower, cross-current = normal. Stop using GPS for optimal trolling speed tracking when running with/against current, and pay attention to rigger cable angle instead. Mouth of Fraser /Sandheads area is a classic example of this, just north of South Arm mouth is an eddy where currents are not so bad, fishing easier. South near the large navigational buoys is a high current area, often better fishing but presence of many other boats make sudden turns a requirement - so take lots of spare gear! A final trick is to find a good trolling path and speed , where you are picking up fish, and just pull up after each pass and run back to start, more work but gives you a chance to check bait and gear for tangles. And good luck!

Last edited:
I’ve been having a lot of action around UBC, Q62, however once I get 1 fish, seals show up and give me a fight every time. I have lost some nice fish thanks to those stupid seals.

Going to start heading out for deeper water where those seals won’t bother me!

I’ve been having a lot of action around UBC, Q62, however once I get 1 fish, seals show up and give me a fight every time. I have lost some nice fish thanks to those stupid seals.

Going to start heading out for deeper water where those seals won’t bother me!
What u catching?

Hi all, am looking for any recent reports for Burrard Inlet...

Am planning to take my kids out for their first ever taste of salmon fishing this weekend (they love freshwater fishing)...Need to do my best to keep them engaged with action or it will be a very short trip and a challenge to get them back on the water. I realize the pinks are slowly rolling in now, so looking for the best chances of having them reel in a pink of hatchery coho (something they can fight themselves and take home...not interested in chinooks...yet).

I haven't ocean trolled salmon for a loooong time (recently moved back from california...plenty of tuna/mahi). Set up an inshore boat (18' Lund Impact)...mostly a lake boat, but will take it on sheltered waters or when the weather is calm. Planning to mostly stay in the outer harbour between Pt. Atkinson and Ambelside, but will venture wherever I can safely go to get fish.

Any tips on best times/ares/depths/lures to find pinks right now?
(Have 1 downrigger with an assortment of flashers, hoochies, spoons, so have a decent arsenal).

Just want to make sure my kids get a love for fishing so any current updates are greatly appreciated...

Thanks
I have not been out yet, but in close out front of Cates Park is your best bet. They will be on the move though so keep your eyes peeled.

Tried to head to Gabriola yesterday but turned around as "the sea was angry that day my friends".
Started at Gower, lost 1. Went to the hump, lost 1 counted 25 boats saw nets out twice. Fished the inside of bowen, nothing. Fished Point Atkinson to Pink Apartments, lost 1. Finished fishing south bowen again, lost 1.
Tried 35 - 165 on the DR
Used a variety of hootchies and a few spoons.
Nice weather, good times with friends but no blood on the deck.
Water temp 69-71 degrees.

Does anyone know if DFO still plans to open area 28 for Chinook September 1st? is it possible to open earlier?
Just trying to plan some time off and take some buddies out. Wondering based on current weather if Chinook will show up later and not head up river as soon

Does anyone know if DFO still plans to open area 28 for Chinook September 1st? is it possible to open earlier?
Just trying to plan some time off and take some buddies out. Wondering based on current weather if Chinook will show up later and not head up river as soon
Typically september is the best time anyway. First week of october is good caught fish in the second week. Found this site to get weather updates bored just sitting around.

https://falsecreekfuels.com/false-creek-fuels-live-cam/

Last year it was hot for three days after it opened and then turned right off. August was way better than September the previous two years as well.
Last year the nuisance orcas ruined the show three days in. I bet if they didn't come it would have been better. 2019 the whole month of September was awesome. I'm counting on some fish come September.

Last year the nuisance orcas ruined the show three days in. I bet if they didn't come it would have been better. 2019 the whole month of September was awesome. I'm counting on some fish come September.
I agree it was great. But man I've never had fishing like the first two weeks in August in 2019 and 2020. It was 24 lber show all day. Freight trains.

Back