2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

First time getting the lines wet since the closure. Started at gower point this morning. Got an undersize right away and just landed this beauty
Congratulations Repeat Offender. Beauty of a fish. That is great news that you found a keeper in that area. Super helpful info, so thanks. Always good to see some payoff for people scouting out less fished areas!

Looking to head out Saturday for a few hours with the family, relatively new to salmon fishing, been spending last few years on the fly rod in rivers and lakes. I have some spoons, hootchies and bait. Is south Bowen still the best bet and what depths are we trolling at? Any advice would be great, I’m currently at thunderbird and would like to stay on this side of the pond

Looking to head out Saturday for a few hours with the family, relatively new to salmon fishing, been spending last few years on the fly rod in rivers and lakes. I have some spoons, hootchies and bait. Is south Bowen still the best bet and what depths are we trolling at? Any advice would be great, I’m currently at thunderbird and would like to stay on this side of the pond
lots of pinks off bowen right now 50-90 feet down anchovies and small pink hootchies been working great for them tie hootchie leaders 24 inches long also maybe try trolling a 32 inch long leader with a white hootchie 20-50 feet down might be lucky and get a hatchery coho

Nah you can tell by their snout. Also a lot of spots on the tail. The key with pinks is the short snout.
Interesting, I've never seen one before with irregular spots on the upper body. Usually halo spots or none at all.
  • Pink salmon are the smallest of the Pacific salmon found in North America, weighing between 3.5 and 5 pounds, with an average length of 20 to 25 inches.
  • Pink salmon can be distinguished from other Pacific salmon by the large dark oval spots on their back and entire tail fin as well as their general coloring and form.
  • In the sea, pink salmon are steel blue to blue-green on the back, silver on the sides, and white on the belly.

Last edited:
Thinking of going out tomorrow. Do you guys think south bowen or the hump will be very choppy? Taking some folks with me who don't have their sea legs and don't want them to have a crappy experience barfing over the side of the boat.

Interesting, I've never seen one before with irregular spots on the upper body. Usually halo spots or none at all.
  • Pink salmon are the smallest of the Pacific salmon found in North America, weighing between 3.5 and 5 pounds, with an average length of 20 to 25 inches.
  • Pink salmon can be distinguished from other Pacific salmon by the large dark oval spots on their back and entire tail fin as well as their general coloring and form.
  • In the sea, pink salmon are steel blue to blue-green on the back, silver on the sides, and white on the belly.
They can easily be confused with coho. They have a v tail as well larger coho with have a straight tail at the end. So I look at the snout usually its short at the nose.

Thinking of going out tomorrow. Do you guys think south bowen or the hump will be very choppy? Taking some folks with me who don't have their sea legs and don't want them to have a crappy experience barfing over the side of the boat.

No answer to your question, but I every time I see one of your posts and your avatar, I think of Lupo the Butcher.
Lupo_the_Butcher.jpg

You should be fine in a tinny tomorrow.. NW wind seems to be mostly sticking to the west side of the strait. Pretty calm looking day!

Wouldn't a NW build up chop on the East side of straight rather than east?
I find when the wind behaves like this we don’t see much wave action in the bay.

Looks like 1pm onward it drops to under 10knots across all areas. Picks up again in the early evening.

I usually refer to the weather buoys on the gov site as well and look at the wave height. If it’s under .3 I find it very comfortable.

3B706A10-4BF2-4EDA-8DF8-1EAB0FA5FB8C.png

I find when the wind behaves like this we don’t see much wave action in the bay.

Looks like 1pm onward it drops to under 10knots across all areas. Picks up again in the early evening.

I usually refer to the weather buoys on the gov site as well and look at the wave height. If it’s under .3 I find it very comfortable.

View attachment 68709
Thanks.... as for reports, my buddy was out yesterday and there were schools of pinks in 50-60ft in a number of areas from Cowen and heading in the direction towards RC. They were hitting on everything. Anyone out today? Any action at RC?

View attachment 68709
I say go for it till you decide to turn tail ;)

They can easily be confused with coho. They have a v tail as well larger coho with have a straight tail at the end. So I look at the snout usually its short at the nose.

first of all that fish in the pic is a spring not a pink and if you think pinks can be easily confused with coho you shouldn’t be fishing. I can’t believe some of the **** im reading on here sometimes.

identifying fish species by their “snout” lol.

first of all that fish in the pic is a spring not a pink and if you think pinks can be easily confused with coho you shouldn’t be fishing. I can’t believe some of the **** im reading on here sometimes.

identifying fish species by their “snout” lol.
No need to be disrespectful did we see a picture of the gums? no. Is the tail square not really. am I am going to take a chance of killing a wild coho when I think its a pink. No. And yes it is quite easy to get confused. Ive caught 13lbs cohos that look like a spring spots on the tail and all through the back. If people arent informed they could retain the wrong fish. Coho usually get a hook in the mouth pinks have shorter "snouts". You should be more sporting because I am here to share what Ive seen. I dont need to be told its called an opinion. Im not going to be the guy killing the wrong species.

No need to be disrespectful did we see a picture of the gums? no. Is the tail square not really. am I am going to take a chance of killing a wild coho when I think its a pink. No. And yes it is quite easy to get confused. Ive caught 13lbs cohos that look like a spring spots on the tail and all through the back. If people arent informed they could retain the wrong fish. Coho usually get a hook in the mouth pinks have shorter "snouts". You should be more sporting because I am here to share what Ive seen. I dont need to be told its called an opinion. Im not going to be the guy killing the wrong species.
The one thing I’ll agree with u on is coho and springs can be tough to differentiate sometimes. Absolutely. Either way good for u for not killing something your not sure about. Now it can have a peaceful swim into some native nets.

Back