2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

What depths you doing crab at I found in the Howe area I have dropped to 150 and get nice ones and 70 has been the shallowest.
I’ve been shallow - my crab gear only has 50’ of line as my old spot was nice and shallow (and very productive).

since I moved the boat into Howe sound I suppose I better take your advice!

Spent a few hours yesterday fishing the contours northwest from Gower Point / Chaster Creek area, between 80-300', basically to do *some* fishing in an area with catch and release allowed, and there was nothing to catch or release. No bait. No fish. No fun.

Thankfully I'd dropped the crab traps at Spanish Banks on the way out and they proved fruitful. Best pull was at 70'.

In summary: the rules suck and following the rules sucks.

IMG_3709.jpg

I’ve been shallow - my crab gear only has 50’ of line as my old spot was nice and shallow (and very productive).

since I moved the boat into Howe sound I suppose I better take your advice!
I've always had decent to good luck at those depths in Howe sound and in the harbour 40-70 .

Crabbing and prawning is better than nothing. Hopefully we get some good news re: salmon soon. You suck butt DFO if you’re reading this.

thanks to the members giving up their crabbing success tips.
Don’t forget cod season opens up this weekend too :)

Crabbing and prawning is better than nothing. Hopefully we get some good news re: salmon soon. You suck butt DFO if you’re reading this.

thanks to the members giving up their crabbing success tips.
Don’t forget cod season opens up this weekend too :)
No it doesn't. Shut up Stizz. You don't know what you're taking about. Crazy Stizz...

This is not a true fishing report but,

I stopped by MacDonald beach launch to just do a quick in and out off the trailer to fix a bunk. The tide was low but still going out, too low on either side to float my boat. I ended up measuring depth at the end of the dock, about 18"
While I was looking over the situation some City of Richmond come over and asks if I bought the $27 launch fee. I told him no because the boat can't be launched.
Well he proceeds to take pictures of my boat and licence plates
Seeing as he appears to be someone of influence I asked him about the conditions of the ramps and waterway.
As most know now getting in and out of the cove is perilous due to silt build up
So I ask him about dredging and he tells me they do it all the time.
I ask what maintenance as the one dock is closed off and there are logs all over the place and tires on the good dock are so old they are turning into powder and about the giant pot holes at the entrance.
Well that got him upset so he pointed to the concrete slabs and said they ALL were changed and nobody saw because they are done at night at low tide.
I don't know how long those slabs last but there was only one half that looked changed on the whole dock, but there were several placed around grassy areas.
Then he tells me about how they are getting ripped off all the time and if they had 80% of the park full then they would do more maintenance.

Ya I am old and grumpy but I really hate it when someone tries to blow smoke up my as$,

At any rate I didn't use up their over used launch and I think the three people who did may get a ticket for abusing the public dock.

The gentleman drove away in his little white car.

Do they ever dredge MacDonald launch?

It is becoming my idea that they want to eliminate the boat launch and go full doggy park.

Last edited:
This is not a true fishing report but,

I stopped by MacDonald beach launch to just do a quick in and out off the trailer to fix a bunk. The tide was low but still going out, too low on either side to float my boat. I ended up measuring depth at the end of the dock, about 18"
While I was looking over the situation some City of Richmond come over and asks if I bought the $27 launch fee. I told him no because the boat can't be launched.
Well he proceeds to take pictures of my boat and licence plates
Seeing as he appears to be someone of influence I asked him about the conditions of the ramps and waterway.
As most know now getting in and out of the cove is perilous due to silt build up
So I ask him about dredging and he tells me they do it all the time.
I ask what maintenance as the one dock is closed off and there are logs all over the place and tires on the good dock are so old they are turning into powder and about the giant pot holes at the entrance.
Well that got him upset so he pointed to the concrete slabs and said they ALL were changed and nobody saw because they are done at night at low tide.
I don't know how long those slabs last but there was only one half that looked changed on the whole dock, but there were several placed around grassy areas.
Then he tells me about how they are getting ripped off all the time and if they had 80% of the park full then they would do more maintenance.

Ya I am old and grumpy but I really hate it when someone tries to blow smoke up my as$,

At any rate I didn't use up their over used launch and I think the three people who did may get a ticket for abusing the public dock.

The gentleman drove away in his little white car.

Do they ever dredge MacDonald launch?

It is becoming my idea that they want to eliminate the boat launch and go full doggy park.
Gets my back up anytime I hear something/ anything about that Launch. Stepped out of my trunk on a launch and abruptly stepped in a half missing concrete slab. Should have broken my leg. Phoned the municipality and amazingly a supervisor and team showed up to see what all the fuss was about. Liabilities I presume. I was furious and a short time later the slab was repaired on the next low tide. They had me going so we discussed the dredging issue and they deflected the responsibility to the River Port Authority and as such was not their responsibility. A good thing while they were there they removed a derelict ski doo they was blocking the useless north launch pad. Go figure.

Gets my back up anytime I hear something/ anything about that Launch. Stepped out of my trunk on a launch and abruptly stepped in a half missing concrete slab. Should have broken my leg. Phoned the municipality and amazingly a supervisor and team showed up to see what all the fuss was about. Liabilities I presume. I was furious and a short time later the slab was repaired on the next low tide. They had me going so we discussed the dredging issue and they deflected the responsibility to the River Port Authority and as such was not their responsibility. A good thing while they were there they removed a derelict ski doo they was blocking the useless north launch pad. Go figure.
That must have been the only one that didn't look all that wore. Half a slab, that would be quite heavy I wonder how that would happen. And yes I thought they doubled the launch fees.

That must have been the only one that didn't look all that wore. Half a slab, that would be quite heavy I wonder how that would happen. And yes I thought they doubled the launch fees.
Who knows other than the fact it was a couple of years back. The rebar was still there but all twisted. Maybe undermined or a log wedged between the slats and leverage and tide did the rest. If I remember 2 years ago they fees were $12.

Last edited:
Back