2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

It wasn't in the middle of the bay but it sure was en route from West Van to the RVYC and my god what a bunch of winners going through there. I think it's just 20 degree syndrome to be honest. I've always loved winter boating for that reason. Far less idiots on the water.

You should see bedwell bay this weekend, 6 to 8 boat flotillas, its going off up there cause everyone knows covid dies at sea haha

You should see bedwell bay this weekend, 6 to 8 boat flotillas, its going off up there cause everyone knows covid dies at sea haha
Oh I miss those days. What I remember of them at least.

Today I couldn't fish with my dad. My sons school had an outbreak, had to protect the ol man. So my lovely wife joined me, under strict conditions. 5 hours only..... We started at 10, howesound was lumpy and my wife checked the forecast behind my back. Said Gail force. It was windy and she felt uncomfortable. Got into consistent action at the shack before we left but only one under and a few shakers. We went to RC. One side coho killer and the other side an ap spoon needle fish. The longest gap without action was fifteen minutes. My son reeled in a nice keeper hatchery that we couldn't keep. Then the islander woman's reel went crazy. I couldn't let my wife or son have it, I thought we got sealed. I set the drag on the woman's reel to the max and the fish kept pulling line. It's a very helpless feeling. Just hang on to it and watch it dump line. I eventually won the fight. It was a massive (max 15lb) Chinook. We left and got back to the dock in 5 hours including ripping up to the highway shack. 20210418_140033.jpg

Today I couldn't fish with my dad. My sons school had an outbreak, had to protect the ol man. So my lovely wife joined me, under strict conditions. 5 hours only..... We started at 10, howesound was lumpy and my wife checked the forecast behind my back. Said Gail force. It was windy and she felt uncomfortable. Got into consistent action at the shack before we left but only one under and a few shakers. We went to RC. One side coho killer and the other side an ap spoon needle fish. The longest gap without action was fifteen minutes. My son reeled in a nice keeper hatchery that we couldn't keep. Then the islander woman's reel went crazy. I couldn't let my wife or son have it, I thought we got sealed. I set the drag on the woman's reel to the max and the fish kept pulling line. It's a very helpless feeling. Just hang on to it and watch it dump line. I eventually won the fight. It was a massive (max 15lb) Chinook. We left and got back to the dock in 5 hours including ripping up to the highway shack. View attachment 64454
This is my sons fish today

Attachments

• IMG_2619001.jpg
    IMG_2619001.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 228
The second photo. The bigger fish was a hatchery. My sons grade three class is doing the hatchery program. It was very cool. The first wild was caught at the shack. In c r territory.
Nice. It should all be catch and keep territory. Imagine trying to keep kids interested in hatchery programs in ten years when they no longer know what a salmon looks like.

Stupidity is the real pandemic in world today, I stay on shore weekends to avoid the winners
I was watching several paddle boarders out in the middle of English bay yesterday - no life jackets and water still at 11 degrees Celsius. Stupidity has taken over. They do not even realize they are auditioning for the 2021 Darwin Awards.

Did some prawning off Gambier today. Not great numbers but huge size. Anchored in center bay for some barbecue and a gear tying session. Beautiful day out there.
I was wondering about something though. My wife thinks I'm overreacting (typical... me overreacting and her being right). I set 4 sets of gear in a tight grouping in a location that was kind of out there. As far as I know, not a busy spot. I set at 1PM and was back at 4PM to get them. Sure as **** some asshat set his gear dead center of all my gear. Like he took out a f***ing compas and protractor and mapped it out. He would have had a difficult time avoiding my traps to set his. Is this normal? While I was pulling my gear he came and pulled his and we damn near collided while drifting. Ugh! I need to fish.
On a positive note! My Ace crapped out for a third time a couple months back. That's not the positive part. The guys at Ace finally just sent me a brand new model. No questions asked, no receipt and I bought it used. The new model is faster and just feels tougher. Great customer service.
People setting gear on top of others is the worst etiquette of all. How completely ignorant are these people. BTW you may find you need to upgrade your wire gauge and fuses for the new Ace. I did.

People setting gear on top of others is the worst etiquette of all. How completely ignorant are these people. BTW you may find you need to upgrade your wire gauge and fuses for the new Ace. I did.
Thanks for that. It didn't seem to struggle but that could have been on account of the lame haul :confused:

Was out Sunday for the maiden voyage of my new-to-me 23ft Trophy with the family. Boat ran great and got some crab. The usual show of inexperienced folks was certainly happening including the poor guy in the photo with the new Benateau on the sand bar in front of Spanish banks. Hope it wasn't someone from this forum.

Attachments

• IMG-20210420-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20210420-WA0000.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 283
Was out Sunday for the maiden voyage of my new-to-me 23ft Trophy with the family. Boat ran great and got some crab. The usual show of inexperienced folks was certainly happening including the poor guy in the photo with the new Benateau on the sand bar in front of Spanish banks. Hope it wasn't someone from this forum.
looks like he's just social distancing . Good for him lol

Send that one in to the Qualified Captain hahaha

oh brutal ive seen a few boats stranded there

Went out today after work. About 4 pm. It was rough in the Harbour and my brother in law isn't the most comfortable on a boat. So we fished the Indian arm for 4 hours over a couple spots, tracked a little bait but got nothing.. had diner and some beers. Great evening. Has anyone ever caught anything up the arm other then the pinks during the run.

Went out today after work. About 4 pm. It was rough in the Harbour and my brother in law isn't the most comfortable on a boat. So we fished the Indian arm for 4 hours over a couple spots, tracked a little bait but got nothing.. had diner and some beers. Great evening. Has anyone ever caught anything up the arm other then the pinks during the run.

You gotta be careful about where you fish but I've seen nice springs bonked in the small open area near the power station.

You gotta be careful about where you fish but I've seen nice springs bonked in the small open area near the power station.
In what year did you see this!?? I heard they used to have a decent hatchery up there back in the day and fishing used to be great

Back