2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

fair enough, wound up a bit tight right now , myself and at least 4 other boats i know of had altercations with that pompous asshole “ mongoose stryker “ out there today , came up on full plane as i was on a troll 15 feet off my port to try and read me the riot act . he got told to **** his hat
He rolled up on us too. We kindly thanked him for his important info and when we didn't pull up our gear instantly he had a little hissy fit. It was quite comical. What kind of guy spends a holiday going boat to boat harassing people?

fair enough, wound up a bit tight right now , myself and at least 4 other boats i know of had altercations with that pompous asshole “ mongoose stryker “ out there today , came up on full plane as i was on a troll 15 feet off my port to try and read me the riot act . he got told to **** his hat

I’m sorry if you miss interpreted my intentions. My concern as I stated when I approached you was that I wasn’t sure you were informed on the new regulation change and didn’t want you to have any problems with DFO. If my approach to you was offensive in anyway....I apologize...my intentions were merely to help you out.

I’m sorry if you miss interpreted my intentions. My concern as I stated when I approached you was that I wasn’t sure you were informed on the new regulation change and didn’t want you to have any problems with DFO. If my approach to you was offensive in anyway....I apologize...my intentions were merely to help you out.
Welcome to the forum? :confused:

I was trying to make this point earlier as this is what the guides were preaching last season when this crap started. In their eyes it's not legal to do catch and release. BUT! Someone was on here yesterday saying they got stopped by DFO on the water and they didn't seem to care. So I'd go with that? My personal opinion on it is that I don't want to kill a bunch of fish all day playing with them for fun unless I could take one home. But that's just me. To each their own.
Hi... Yes, on April 1st I got approached by DFO, twice. They checked our licenses, hooks... the usual. We were clear we were fishing for salmon, and they confirmed it was catch and release. Now, this was at 10:30 am the day regs came into effect. Don't want to say that today or tomorrow they will be ok with it. We were in 28-7, by the bell. Now, at the time, i thought that it was truly catch & release.. My bad there.
Second time they approached (around 3:30 pm) they remembered us and they left.

Fished HITW today from 10-3. Only 2 of us out in the nasty weather this morning us and mongoose ( yes now made famous in this group). Went fishing for pollock but unfortunately kept hooking into Chinook. 15 unders of various size weights and 3 beautiful overs. All were released safely! But what I found interesting is 75% of the fish hooked including 2/3 overs where hatch!!!!! So the question begs why bother clipping (which I am assuming is for our benefit to catch and keep) if you are not allowed to keep them. Even more beneficial is knowing where they came from if kept and reported which would be a huge benefit in tracing.
So to those hatcheries that do clipping programs (even at 10%) just thought I'd let you know they may be in this area.

Fished HITW today from 10-3. Only 2 of us out in the nasty weather this morning us and mongoose ( yes now made famous in this group). Went fishing for pollock but unfortunately kept hooking into Chinook. 15 unders of various size weights and 3 beautiful overs. All were released safely! But what I found interesting is 75% of the fish hooked including 2/3 overs where hatch!!!!! So the question begs why bother clipping (which I am assuming is for our benefit to catch and keep) if you are not allowed to keep them. Even more beneficial is knowing where they came from if kept and reported which would be a huge benefit in tracing.
So to those hatcheries that do clipping programs (even at 10%) just thought I'd let you know they may be in this area.
excuse my ignorance... where's HITW? North of horshoe bay?

Sounds like a good day but now I’m really confused... based on the picture the “red hatched” area appears to show HITW as closed to chinook fishing so mongoose is upset that people are fishing the hump but is fishing HITW when the image appears to show they’re both closed? Maybe coho fishing which looks to be open in that are. Not trying to call anyone out just trying to wrap my head around this silliness fisheries has left us with.

As for the hatch fish I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess they’re Yankees heading south hopefully they quarantine accordingly.
E344FB5D-C7D4-4DD1-8D51-66F4E6E6514D.jpeg

ive fished the area for a few years now march to june you will find lots of hatchery fish and only a handful which are wild

As of right now If you google "area 28 fishing regulations" like any responsible person would before heading out you'll find there is nothing closed to fishing. No retention of course but nowhere does it say anything that you can't go out for a troll.

In any case - to the newer members, please realize that our misguided counterparts that think David Suzuki is a god and that his **** don't stink read these forums so please don't be dumb and post things that they will happily use against us.

That’s part of the reason the Avid Angler program was started. To get more data and document what runs are out there thru dna sampling

Trying to sort out why the map and regs are a bit different and not sure if this helps. It looks like the map from JT above was done from the "Fishing notice - FNO345" that some of us may have seen in our email on March 29th. When you go to the DFO web site it says, Check here for recreational fishing limits, openings and closures in BC. and you get the regs that are the most current (updated April 1st) and where you are supposed to check before you fish. This web page has no link or reference to fishing notices.
If everyone speaks out and sends an email to bernadette.jordan@parl.gc.ca or calls, maybe we can get some change and a chance at least for some hatchery retention (based on facts) before we all go crazy trying to figure out DFO instructions....

What I don't understand about the map is that 29- 6 to 17 is "no fishing for salmon" of any species....period. Easy to understand that language.

Wouldn't that mean "no chinook fishing" in 29-3 & 4 is open to fishing for all other salmon? Seem pretty plain to me, but I have been known to be a bit dense at times.

Last edited:
What I don't understand about the map is that 29- 6 to 17 is "no fishing for salmon" of any species....period. Easy to understand that language.

Wouldn't that mean "no chinook fishing" in 29-3 & 4 is open to fishing for all other salmon? Seem pretty plain to me, but I have been known to be a bit dense at times.
I think the regs narrow those areas down to just retention for chum and pink right now, nothing else.

I’m sorry if you miss interpreted my intentions. My concern as I stated when I approached you was that I wasn’t sure you were informed on the new regulation change and didn’t want you to have any problems with DFO. If my approach to you was offensive in anyway....I apologize...my intentions were merely to help you out

Mongoose: Fair enough but shouting "why don't believe me!!!!" and "You must not fish here much!!!" after you rolled up full plane is kind of an aggressive approach to sharing information with fellow boaters. I don't give a **** what other anglers do out there as long as they stay away from my boat and my gear. Apology accepted if thats what that was.

If Fishing BC wanted to do something constructive with their App rather than the fish ID we all know is a joke why wouldn’t they make it interactive with the regs like I Hunter or the I Fish apps are. Simply open the app and it locates you and gives you the regs for your location. Mind you if it’s as accurate as their fish id maybe it’s better they don’t.

Clear as mud I suppose... looks like I’ll be fishing thrasher north for awhile. Wonder if they will subsidize the extra fuel costs for my fishing therapy?

Having fished in this area a lot over the last number of years I would say the majority of the fish I encounter especially for the next couple months are hatchery marked seems pretty bogus but we need to support each other as a community, get those letters in and fight back best we can.
821F2308-C792-4071-86B5-F81AD54D14C6.png
04800158-1C15-41ED-A746-B2250997C77C.png
78300F65-CEFC-410D-A292-98702BE2CD3B.jpeg

Mongoose: Fair enough but shouting "why don't believe me!!!!" and "You must not fish here much!!!" after you rolled up full plane is kind of an aggressive approach to sharing information with fellow boaters. I don't give a **** what other anglers do out there as long as they stay away from my boat and my gear. Apology accepted if thats what that was.
Give me a call on my phone....I have some info that might help you out over the next few weeks.

Back