2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Hey guys. New here : )
Anyhow, went out yesterday and fished Defense & Porteau. Not a touch-
was fishing chovies / spoons. Good thing though, ended up with 150 Prawns.
On a side note: Find attached map to summarize the recent Fisheries Notice (for areas 28 and 29)
(thanks Andrew)
An update from DFO is expected in the coming weeks.
Looks to me like areas 17-11 & 17-12 west of thrasher are open to chinook : )
Better gas-up..

Attachments

• 2021Fishing depiction FN 00345.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 127
On a side note: Find attached map to summarize the recent Fisheries Notice (for areas 28 and 29)
(thanks Andrew)
Better gas-up..
Sorry to burst your bubble but you’ll see in the link “areas 13-17 chinook non retention”

Update from today with a hint of bragging if allowed: 10 fish to boat. . 3 really small ones, 5 ranging from 45 - 60 and two legals. Awesome day. DFO boat came twice to check on us. Everything went back to water safely. Nevertheless amazing day. We were fishing around the Bell Buoy. 150-200 depth and got most fish between 65-85. Small 3” spoons and one Deadly D...ck spoon. That one got 5. Unbelievable day.
And then the gravy: Those did come hom (just 8 of course since we were two)

Attachments

• 65E093C4-26D5-4284-8B94-78EA46BA4F48.jpeg
    65E093C4-26D5-4284-8B94-78EA46BA4F48.jpeg
    462.6 KB · Views: 174
Sorry to burst your bubble but you’ll see in the link “areas 13-17 chinook non retention”
Oh !
let’s go with April fools
Doh !
I think I replied to the right guy now
just learning this website.
oops !

(thanks Andrew)
Better gas-up..
150 prawn.... awesome catch.

hey @adanac I was at the Bell Bouy yesterday, at 150-250 depth fishing at various depths (70-110) It was very active. Just so you may want to move inwards if there is no action.
Yup between the hump and QA can be just as hot if there's no action at either. If you're not hitting 100 shakers they're not there. Mind you I've always wondered if being on shakers meant the big guys were somewhere else. Hmn.

not a sniff at the hump so far, been out here since dark
I'm pretty sure the current regs say "No Fishing For Chinook" in 29-3 where the Hump is situated - and if that is true then what are you going to say to the DFO officers if they come a calling?? Same applies to the QA and the Bell Buoy and the Harbour.
Or am I reading the regs wrong?

I'm pretty sure the current regs say "No Fishing For Chinook" in 29-3 where the Hump is situated - and if that is true then what are you going to say to the DFO officers if they come a calling?? Same applies to the QA and the Bell Buoy and the Harbour.
You r right

I was trying to make this point earlier as this is what the guides were preaching last season when this crap started. In their eyes it's not legal to do catch and release. BUT! Someone was on here yesterday saying they got stopped by DFO on the water and they didn't seem to care. So I'd go with that? My personal opinion on it is that I don't want to kill a bunch of fish all day playing with them for fun unless I could take one home. But that's just me. To each their own.

Yes. They wanted to make sure we were aware is C&R only. Of course after they checked licenses and hooks.
Sorry to say the DFO got it wrong, and I think we need to assume that when they figure out they got it wrong they will be handing out fines - so my advice to y'all is only fish in an area that is Chinook Non-Retention (catch and release) and you will be safe, fishing in a "No fishing for Chinook" area when we all know there is nothing else out there but Chinook could get expensive (and yes I do know there is Pollock on the Hump).

sorry DUGALD , but i will continue to catch and release , as it is my right . if you want to let your boat collect dust for the next 5 months be my guest!
Exactly. If a member has already got the clarification from the horse’s mouth on the water that is okay to catch and release then why are we looking for something that is not there to prohibit us from fishing? I happens to like pollack and will be trolling for them at the hump when weather is cooperating.

Back