Lots of nice Coho around today..released a couple 12 pounds and kept 5 up to 10 pounds. Also scratched up a decent winter spring and finished off with a 20 pound spring as I started bringing lines in to leave. It was a long morning for a female client today...its going to be a long morning when you are green before I even get the kicker started. She stuck it out even though she fed fish all morning numerous times..but didn't complain. She said it was her 3rd attempt at fishing the ocean and same result each time...she took gravol an hour before this morning. She said I tried and done trying. When I said goodbye to her husband on the dock I said well there is a bright side.....you don't have to worry about getting Covid on a cruise...lol 60-80 ft best today and all bait and lures were working.
I never got seasick until I was over 50, and finally realized how bad it can be.
I tried everything, most failed. Best thing for me was wrist bands and ginger tablets.
No booze the night before, and no coffee in the morning.
I’m sure you’ve tried everything as well, but I thought I’d add my 2 cents after reading your post.
Stosh

Lots of nice Coho around today..released a couple 12 pounds and kept 5 up to 10 pounds. Also scratched up a decent winter spring and finished off with a 20 pound spring as I started bringing lines in to leave. It was a long morning for a female client today...its going to be a long morning when you are green before I even get the kicker started. She stuck it out even though she fed fish all morning numerous times..but didn't complain. She said it was her 3rd attempt at fishing the ocean and same result each time...she took gravol an hour before this morning. She said I tried and done trying. When I said goodbye to her husband on the dock I said well there is a bright side.....you don't have to worry about getting Covid oa cruise...lol 60-80 ft best today and all bait and lures were working.
Would you ever offer a client meclaizine should they be prone to seasickness or if it’s gonna be ugly out, or is that just up to them?

For seasickness if you have tried everything you must try the transderm V patch as I have known many people who tried everything and once they used it they were very happy not to get sick. You get it at the drug store behind the counter and the night before put it behind the ear and it is good for three days.

I never got seasick until I was over 50, and finally realized how bad it can be.
I tried everything, most failed. Best thing for me was wrist bands and ginger tablets.
No booze the night before, and no coffee in the morning.
I’m sure you’ve tried everything as well, but I thought I’d add my 2 cents after reading your post.
Stosh
I recommend meclazine from behind the pharmacy counter

For seasickness if you have tried everything you must try the transderm V patch as I have known many people who tried everything and once they used it they were very happy not to get sick. You get it at the drug store behind the counter and the night before put it behind the ear and it is good for three days.
Tried the patch, but had an allergic reaction - felt seasick on land.
Stosh

I used to get sick in wind chop, then I worked on an ambulance and had to take something. Bonine has been a godsend. No alcohol two days before, a whole pill the night before and a half or whole in the morning, another whole the that night and I am good for days. Patch was too much for me.

gravol always been my go to - never been sick on it even in 8-10' swells and 2' chop (as in only way to fish was by sitting on the cooler!) - only time I ever threw up was the one time I forgot the gravol and tried Dramamine. Didn't cut it! Never tried the patch since the possible side effects creep me out too much!

Last edited:
I used to get sick in wind chop, then I worked on an ambulance and had to take something. Bonine has been a godsend. No alcohol two days before, a whole pill the night before and a half or whole in the morning, another whole the that night and I am good for days. Patch was too much for me.
Also known as meclazine. The best product I found during my 35 year guiding career on wcvi

A fishing report better than my last one.Fishing did not suck today,weather was great,and lots of action.Biggest change I made was bringing bait,6-7" herring worked very well getting most of the hatchery we kept.Biggest fish were wild and caught on spoons.Multiple double headers made for a fun day, thanks to a friend for bringing me along.

A fishing report better than my last one.Fishing did not suck today,weather was great,and lots of action.Biggest change I made was bringing bait,6-7" herring worked very well getting most of the hatchery we kept.Biggest fish were wild and caught on spoons.Multiple double headers made for a fun day, thanks to a friend for bringing me along.
Yup. Trick to catching them hatchery fish is to clip your anchovies. Little known secret.

Out of Cheanuh today. 7:30am to 1pm and only a couple of very small shakers. From 1pm to 3:30pm we had at least 20 coho to the boat plus we lost 4 or 5 more. (5 doubles) Kept 3 clipped coho, 4, 6 and 7lbs. Several of the unclipped were in the 10lb range. All on coho killers or wee G. 100 to 120ft on the DR in 320m-350ft out from the head. A busy couple of hours.

Out of Cheanuh today. 7:30am to 1pm and only a couple of very small shakers. From 1pm to 3:30pm we had at least 20 coho to the boat plus we lost 4 or 5 more. (5 doubles) Kept 3 clipped coho, 4, 6 and 7lbs. Several of the unclipped were in the 10lb range. All on coho killers or wee G. 100 to 120ft on the DR in 320m-350ft out from the head. A busy couple of hours.
Sounds great, but will it hold up to October 1st?

The Coho hold in Sooke till Mid to late October and is one of the few places that hold coho for months.. The Cowichan has a late run of coho and Sooke really has a world class coho fishery. Second to none !!

After 3 weeks off the water, we set out for some hatchery coho today. I thought with all the rain last week they would be mostly gone, but it was a nice sunny morning so we gave it a try.

I think I was mostly right, but in the end we did OKish, because of some huge luck in the hatchery/unclipped ratios.

Lines into 200’ of water at 8 ish and headed out to 450’ of water, where everyone else seemed to be. Nothing happened for two hours so we came back into shallower water. Right in 150’ of water, as I was about to turn, got a decent hit on the hootchie/dodger combo but he did not stick. Stayed looping around between 150’ and 250’ and got a couple more hits that again did not stick. Finally got a hit on the vintage McKnight spoon and boated a 4lb hatchery fish. Bites went off after that so headed out deeper again around 11:00am. By then a fairly decent ESE wind had come up and it got very bumpy. Switched the McKnight out for an even older “Krippled K”, which has always been our best lure for coho. Right away got a good hit, and he felt decent but it all went slack. Sadly, upon reeling in and inspecting I found the split ring had pulled clean off the spoon. R.I.P. Krippled K, the last of his kind in my box. Put the McKnight back and got another hit and this was again decent. Finally got this into the boat and was surprised to see this was also hatchery and this one was a much better 9lb. Fished on for a while after that with nothing before getting another hit on the hootchie/dodger combo which incredibly was another hatch but only 4lb this time. So very slow day but 3 for 3 hatch to that point was amazing.

As we were coming in I did get another hit on the McKnight but that fish was unclipped so back he went. I was beginning to think there was only hatchery fish out there and not many at that. Called it at 1:00pm after that. Fished 65-75’ feet most of the time, and overall it was very slow, but we were lucky with the hatch fish ratio.

Launched at Cheanuh today at 9:00 and headed straight out to 400 ft water. One line at 110' on the rigger with a green and white glow flasher towing a purple haze coho killer. Wasn't too long before the Coho found the lure. 4 nice wilds, probably 8 to 10lbs. turned around and headed back toward Becher when we got into 570' water however as others mentioned, the wind had piped up and the current (beginning of the flood) started quite a lot of chop, not to mention the kelp balls. A little later hooked still larger wild, maybe 12 lbs. Later on we got into little grilse which probably interfered with more Coho. Finally found a smaller hatchery marked Coho, the only keeper of the day. The chop got our canonballs swinging and tangled which lead to a change in tackle: blueberry muffin and another green and glow flasher. Stayed fishing deeper for much of the day.
September 21, 2021 02.jpg

Launched at Cheanuh today at 9:00 and headed straight out to 400 ft water. One line at 110' on the rigger with a green and white glow flasher towing a purple haze coho killer. Wasn't too long before the Coho found the lure. 4 nice wilds, probably 8 to 10lbs. turned around and headed back toward Becher when we got into 570' water however as others mentioned, the wind had piped up and the current (beginning of the flood) started quite a lot of chop, not to mention the kelp balls. A little later hooked still larger wild, maybe 12 lbs. Later on we got into little grilse which probably interfered with more Coho. Finally found a smaller hatchery marked Coho, the only keeper of the day. The chop got our canonballs swinging and tangled which lead to a change in tackle: blueberry muffin and another green and glow flasher. Stayed fishing deeper for much of the day.
View attachment 70832
Thanks for the great day lots of conversations and excitement

Out from Cheanuh today at 8:00. Spent 8hrs in the washing machine getting beat up by nasty tide, SE wind and dodging kelp balls. 0 for 10 on coho, all wild had to let go, but some good sized ones that hit hard. No preference as bait and variety of spoons all equal and all depths 30-70.

Back