No guides,
Do ya miss me bud??? LOL
To those that choose to drive at high speed between the shore and boats tacking close to shore, why? You have a motor just drive outside, its super bad etiquette to rip up the inside, and disruptive to anyone who might be fishing shallow and tight to the kelp.
WE know what boats do it and Ive have personally had a chat with them. it doesnt seem to matter to them...You know I always give you plenty of room and may have helped you a few times LOL LOL

As for a fishing report went to try 1 last shot for springs off possesion / bluffs not a sniff so that was it BAIT went over board and cleaned out my cooler, so went looking for the HOES got into about 20 or so today and got the 6 hatchery some are getting big I can tell ya seemed the mint tulip hoochie was best and the AP spoon of course... deeper 50 to 100 feet
only a few days left...

Update, for those of you who like to prognosticate the natal river from whence the fish came. It was an orange fleshed darkening football, nicely spotted. I say local fish of Nitinat stock. Wild.

Out Tuesday, 7:30-1:30. Flat calm with no wind. Straight out from sooke started fishing west in about 250-350ft, spoon at 30 ft , white hoochie at 70. Both caught lots of fish, a few more on hoochie. Mostly all wild coho. 9:30 setup for Hali off the bluffs. Nothing for us. There were 3 other boats anchored up nearby, if any of you are out there, care to provide a report??
Fabulous day on the water!!

Update, for those of you who like to prognosticate the natal river from whence the fish came. It was an orange fleshed darkening football, nicely spotted. I say local fish of Nitinat stock. Wild.
Did you stick your finger in its butt and smell??? thats how some guys can tell what river its from!!! LOL LOL

Did you stick your finger in its butt and smell??? thats how some guys can tell what river its from!!! LOL LOL
This is not a fishing report or even fish related but some identify DUCKS in a similar manner. Forgive me for posting it here.

A Newfie went hunting one day in Ontario and bagged three ducks. He put them in the bed of his pickup truck and was about to drive home when he was confronted by an ornery game warden, who didn't like Newfies.
The game warden ordered the Newfie to show his hunting license, and the Newfie pulled out a valid Ontario hunting license.
The game warden looked at the license, then reached over and picked up one of the ducks, sniffed its butt, and said, 'This duck ain't from Ontario . This is a Quebec duck. You got a Quebec huntin' license, boy?'
The Newfie reached into his wallet and produced a Quebec hunting license. The game warden looked at it, then reached over and grabbed the second duck, sniffed its butt, and said , 'This ain't no Quebec duck. This duck's from Manitoba . You got a Manitoba license?'
The Newfie reached into his wallet and produced a Manitoba hunting license.
The warden then reached over and picked up the third duck, sniffed its butt and said, 'This ain't no Ontario duck. This here duck's from Nova Scotia . You got a Nova Scotia huntin' license?'
Again the Newfie reached into his wallet and brought out a Nova Scotia hunting license. The game warden was extremely frustrated at this point, and he yelled at the Newfie 'Just where the hell are you from?'
The Newfie turned around, bent over, dropped his pants, and said, 'You tell me.....you're the expert.!!'

This is not a fishing report or even fish related but some identify DUCKS in a similar manner. Forgive me for posting it here.

A Newfie went hunting one day in Ontario and bagged three ducks. He put them in the bed of his pickup truck and was about to drive home when he was confronted by an ornery game warden, who didn't like Newfies.
The game warden ordered the Newfie to show his hunting license, and the Newfie pulled out a valid Ontario hunting license.
The game warden looked at the license, then reached over and picked up one of the ducks, sniffed its butt, and said, 'This duck ain't from Ontario . This is a Quebec duck. You got a Quebec huntin' license, boy?'
The Newfie reached into his wallet and produced a Quebec hunting license. The game warden looked at it, then reached over and grabbed the second duck, sniffed its butt, and said , 'This ain't no Quebec duck. This duck's from Manitoba . You got a Manitoba license?'
The Newfie reached into his wallet and produced a Manitoba hunting license.
The warden then reached over and picked up the third duck, sniffed its butt and said, 'This ain't no Ontario duck. This here duck's from Nova Scotia . You got a Nova Scotia huntin' license?'
Again the Newfie reached into his wallet and brought out a Nova Scotia hunting license. The game warden was extremely frustrated at this point, and he yelled at the Newfie 'Just where the hell are you from?'
The Newfie turned around, bent over, dropped his pants, and said, 'You tell me.....you're the expert.!!'
I don’t know where all these salmon come from but I know a few Newfies and a few game wardens and even a few ducks and after this I think I will be content NOT knowing anything more. Thank you for the laughs and the fish reports!

Sooke sucked today even with no wind,big swell,washing machine water off the head,no hatchery fish to be had.Crabs made up for it.

Must have been in the wrong area Ray. Was out Wed and today and played about 20 each day. Shallow was best early on Wed and then 70 ft worked mid morning. Today 70-80 ft was best all morning. Biggest we released would have been 11-12, most are 6-7 pounds. Yesterday spoons by far outshined bait and today spoons sucked and bait was on fire...a hootchie I put out instead of a spoon did do well. Trying to ration bait to last through to the end of coho runs. Had a couple decent winter springs on Wed in addition to a couple clipped coho. Some days clipped are hard to come by and it gets frustrating when you get to a dozen and nothing you can keep. Even had a sockeye today that was a lively as a stick. It swam away but looked lost lol

Frustrating to say the least releasing the quality bigger fish and potentially harming them to keep the smaller inferior fish.Not my thing.We didn't get any hatchery,didn't use bait.
It seems soooo simple but here we are years later and these DFO dumbasses still can’t figure it out

Got nothing to do with being sensible.

it’s all about the massive re allocation from us and commercial to fn. Those orders come from up above, ie the guy trying for a majority government by buying everybody off with our money
Aces is right on this. Until angler groups get serious about getting politically active we and Washington State are doomed to be paying a huge provincial, state, and federal government bureaucracy to use our tax $ and fees for licenses etc against the express interests of the sport fishing community. Letter writing, protests, organizing against the Fisheries council members who consistently vote to put us last on the priority list—this is what must be done to change the decision making to favor the fish and us. Otherwise we will not be able to fish for and catch fish in one of the most productive fisheries in the world. It’s going to get worse unless we get on the leadership and push hard for our cause and our rights.

Fishing Thursday was excellent for us and the other boats in our area. We fished 7-noon and ended up with 15 double headers, released 10+ fish at the boat and most of them in the 10lb range, plus lots of long line releases and hook snap offs. We using up some of our bait and went through 30 pieces in the first 2.5 hours then went to plastics which had the same results. Fish were mainly at 70-50 ft and most fish caught while trolling into the tide flow.
In the end we landed 3 winter springs and the biggest 12lb and 5 clipped Coho and the biggest 11lb.
Best Coho fishing day this year. Sure lots of big un clipped Coho out there yesterday and now just hope they stay around until Oct 1st.

In late 2019 I donated a 5 hour fishing trip on my boat (with me, of course) as part of a fundraiser for the Victoria Art Gallery. With Covid hitting hard in early 2020 the people who purchased the trip were unable to use it. Fast forward to this past Thursday.......weather was perfect, and 3 of us (Niko and his Mom, plus me) set out to see if we could catch a fish or two using the donated certificate. What made it special was Niko, whose mother gave him the trip for his birthday present, had never been salmon fishing before. Just as I was thinking he wasn't going to catch a fish (other than undersize shakers), the rod went off and he caught a beautiful 8 pound clipped male coho. Nothing better than to get someone their first salmon. It usually hooks them for life.

Attachments

• IMG_2346.jpeg
    IMG_2346.jpeg
    219.7 KB · Views: 149
Lots of nice Coho around today..released a couple 12 pounds and kept 5 up to 10 pounds. Also scratched up a decent winter spring and finished off with a 20 pound spring as I started bringing lines in to leave. It was a long morning for a female client today...its going to be a long morning when you are green before I even get the kicker started. She stuck it out even though she fed fish all morning numerous times..but didn't complain. She said it was her 3rd attempt at fishing the ocean and same result each time...she took gravol an hour before this morning. She said I tried and done trying. When I said goodbye to her husband on the dock I said well there is a bright side.....you don't have to worry about getting Covid on a cruise...lol 60-80 ft best today and all bait and lures were working.

Out front of Sooke this morning. Weather couldn't make up it's mind but seas were ok. Between 0800 - 1100 fishing was fast and furious at times. Multiple doubles and many lost fish. I could have used some company. 12 coho to the boat, only one hatchery. One big wild northern I'd guess low teens, the rest 5-8lbs. Two Springs, kept one, a mature fish but only 5lbs ( a Jack?). Best depth for me was 75', pink spatter hootchie or 'Outfitter' Skinny G. Fishing died off late morning. Good Humpback show.

Added note next day: Don't waste a chinook tag on a dark fish, flavorless and soft.

Last edited:
Back