Out front of harbour mouth Sooke 150 to 300 ft, 10 coho, 9 wild Coho, 1 hatchery. Two of the wilds were large 10 and 15 lbs. The 15 lb put up a great fight. Thought it was a spring at first. 0 springs today.

Wow that’s a big ho!
15 lbs is not that big for a Sooke wild Coho but is certainly a very nice fish, especially for recent years. Over the years we have caught a few in the 18lb range in Oct that we were able to keep and one in the fourth week of Sept that was around 20 that we had to release. I recall that Profisher has caught the odd one in the lower 20's. Usually the hatchery marked fish tend to be smaller but this year we caught a clipped ho that was 11lbs on the scale, which is the largest Sooke hatchery Coho for us to date. When we caught it and saw it at a distance we were thinking dam, that is too big, it will be a wild we are going to have to release but were thrilled when it was clipped.

How was it weighed? I have caught larger ones a 17lb a few years back there but that was on scale. You can get them that big but it's more rare nowadays.

Other one was about or over 20 and was released. We measured that one... I got that one this time of year but that was when runs were way stronger. Like 10 years back. Complete needle in haystack.

Not saying your wrong kind of hard to estimate that exact when your releasing.

Generally this time of year they are about 8 to 10 lbs. October they tend to get larger.

Last edited:
Launched from Esquilmalt around 8:30, a little lumpy out front, but we made the decision to give it a whirl and try to make it to Sooke. We got about 2 miles from Victoria, and it turned into glass, for a fairly smooth ride out.

stoped just in front of the trap and started fishing, headed out towards Secretary in 300-400’. Fairly productive considering, but not the best size. Released 3 (just over) springs, caught 3-4 wild coho that were average size. On the way back to the trap, in between Secretary and the trap, we managed a 64 cm hatchery spring 150’ on the rigger with a white hootchy. Ended up releasing about a 7-8lb wild at the trap. Caught on bait @ 55’ on the rigger. White hoochie was more productive today 75%. Third rod had a spoon , herring aid, on top 20-35’, nothing! Fished from 45’-150’

ride back was decent, dropped the head at the Esquilmalt launch.

Attachments

• BED40744-5EF5-468C-A1BB-E3D7AC99139A.jpeg
    BED40744-5EF5-468C-A1BB-E3D7AC99139A.jpeg
    226 KB · Views: 57
I carry a scale in the tackle box. It weighs a 15 lb dead on 15 lbs. Always fun to guess the weight then weigh it to see how close your guess is.

No one should be weighing fish they are releasing. Those coho if your not retaining shouldn't go into a boat, and stay in the water. Weighing one your retaining totally get it.

BTW Thanks to everyone that are putting heads in.
Fish that were released without being held out of the water had a 12 percent mortality. Fish held out of the water for 30 seconds had a 38 percent mortality rate; more than one in three fish died. Fish out of the water for a full minute saw a 72 percent death rate.

There is big coho out in Sooke. The last few years has been really good. 4 years ago got a 22 lber right inside secretary Island on Oct 1 opening day. Last year was crazy in sept for Hos many in 12 -17 lb range. I don't bring fish in the boat that I release. I only use single hook fishing hos. This fish was definitely 15lbs. It was huge with a really big hooked nose already. They are definitely there, just need to find them.

Fish that were released without being held out of the water had a 12 percent mortality. Fish held out of the water for 30 seconds had a 38 percent mortality rate; more than one in three fish died. Fish out of the water for a full minute saw a 72 percent death rate.
Can you posts links to your study on a separate page?

Well I can tell you the bigger springs have moved on thats for sure I got a nice mid 20 other day and yesterday had a good one one only to be taken by a seal at possession, then went looking for coho ,EVERYONE was searching for coho , its very slow right now from 2 weeks ago the rain and recent orcas defiantly haven't helped. Hate to say but the lack of coho is concerning to me so much im pulling the boat after this week , im in hunting mode now LOL want to thank all the guys on water for saying HI and the positive comments back from you all.
Until next year remember TIP UP !!!!
Good luck wolf

Took my youngest out today as it’s her last day off before kindergarten officially starts.

Straight out from Aldridge in 500’ of water and we managed to get 15 Coho to the boat however all but two had an extra fin on the back.

Not as many fish as last year but man the wilds are nice fish this year. We had two over 10lbs that put up great fights.

80-100 feet on the rigger all on spoons for us. White hoochi however seem to be the ticket for the guys on the radio.

Fishing out in the middle of no mans land is a perfect place to teach the kids how to drive

Attachments

• 4318D7C7-7EDC-4B09-B433-EFF56F9841DA.jpeg
    4318D7C7-7EDC-4B09-B433-EFF56F9841DA.jpeg
    245.2 KB · Views: 102
Possibly the last kayak fishing of the season, woke up dark and early, checked the weather and reports, despite Roy's report which almost had me roll over and snooze, the glassy conditions motivated me. Got on the water at the g spot around 7: 30. Perfect kayak fishing conditions, gentle flood on glassy water. No guides, few boats. I trooched my way down current, made my first turn, and got the softest of hits, two tugs. Started reeling in and thought small ling? Reeled in until I got a good look and found a late season, lazy beauty on the line. Got a hold of the line, hand over hand down the leader to bring the fish close. Tried to land it but got a face full of spray as the fish woke up and finally ran, quickly back on the rod, tired the fish out and after a bit of a fight and patience by me, landed this fat 84 cm chinook. Great way to finaly my season. Usual 28 pulls, green on green anchovy.
Gotta say thanks to all those who give reports.

To those that choose to drive at high speed between the shore and boats tacking close to shore, why? You have a motor just drive outside, its super bad etiquette to rip up the inside, and disruptive to anyone who might be fishing shallow and tight to the kelp.

Attachments

• 20210913_112335.jpg
    20210913_112335.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 170
  • 20210913_112224.jpg
    20210913_112224.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Possibly the last kayak fishing of the season, woke up dark and early, checked the weather and reports, despite Roy's report which almost had me roll over and snooze, the glassy conditions motivated me. Got on the water at the g spot around 7: 30. Perfect kayak fishing conditions, gentle flood on glassy water. No guides, few boats. I trooched my way down current, made my first turn, and got the softest of hits, two tugs. Started reeling in and thought small ling? Reeled in until I got a good look and found a late season, lazy beauty on the line. Got a hold of the line, hand over hand down the leader to bring the fish close. Tried to land it but got a face full of spray as the fish woke up and finally ran, quickly back on the rod, tired the fish out and after a bit of a fight and patience by me, landed this fat 84 cm chinook. Great way to finaly my season. Usual 28 pulls, green on green anchovy.

To those that choose to drive at high speed between the shore and boats tacking close to shore, why? You have a motor just drive outside, its super bad etiquette to rip up the inside, and disruptive to anyone who might be fishing shallow and tight to the kelp.
Very nice Z! Kayak fishers rock!

Back