On Friday, I counted 25 boats off of Secretary Island in the deep water. We fueled up at Sunny Shores at noon on Friday and there was a guy cleaning 3&4 lb clipped Coho and he said he was one of the boats in the pack off Secretary. He also said there was lots of action but all small Coho.

I'm seeing a few boats out fishing coho now after giving up on springs. But as said there are still enough springs around to keep most on the beach trying for a big Harrison white or Sooke fish. There are more coho on the beach once the flood kicks in. Still early and no rain yet to bring them in. Middle of the month will tell the story. Better if they are late then we get more of a chance of a biggy after Oct 1st.

Wow, a lot of patience shown by you and your client Profisher. 6am start and then wait till noon for the bite. And there was me thinking you Pros knew exactly where to be and when at any time of the season or day!! LOL :) ;) Well done anyway. I am afraid I do not have that kind of patience and would have given up long before 6 hours had elapsed........
Roland it helps to pass the time waiting when you are being paid to wait!!!! lol

Roland it helps to pass the time waiting when you are being paid to wait!!!! lol
Ha! I was deckhanding on a commercial troller up at Langara in the late ‘80’s when there was a day or two pause between runs. Our skipper came out of the wheelhouse and looked at our bored long faces and remarked “I don’t know what you guys are glum about,” and he gestured to one of the Langara lodge boats going by, “Those guys paid $1000 today to catch no fish!”

Did the afternoon shift from 11-4 out in the East. Out tacking back from Aldridge to Head through tide change. Was Pretty dead. Was so nice to finally be back out again regardless. ;)

I got a few wild coho that I let go. Nothing big maybe 6lbs or so.

Out for 8 hours today and started off quickly with 2 springs on the first pass then nothing until noon. Ended up with 5 springs to 16 pounds and released a couple wild coho. 2 more hatchery chinook heads to turn in for 19 for the season so far.

Otter has been great lately except yesterday was the first day was hard to find one. Finally noon and first bite, first fish, 12 lber.

Otter was not very productive yesterday. I trooched around from about 7 am to 3 ish as I wanted a fish for a family event. Super slow all morning. Got a coho at the point after the flood started. Wonder how today went....

Last edited:
Slow today at Otter...from 6:30 to abut 1pm. Lost 1 spring, released 2 wild coho and a sockeye. Kept a feeder Chinook. Didn't try off the beach for more Coho..stuck it out for a spring. May have to rethink that for Fridays trips.

Did a solo run this morning through Whirl Bay up past Church and the Bedfords. Boat ride till the flood started and then brought 2 feeder Chinook to hand in short order. Kept a 55CM bleeder and put the other one back. 54' on the rigger. Yellow and green Koho Killer. Gold/Silver weave flasher.
Due south of Church in 450' of water.

Late post from last Saturday. Was in the derby but no springs that day for us. Fished hard up and down otter, mostly with bait. A couple pinks and wild coho, that’s it. It was a gorgeous day. Took these shots.C15B1A85-7C3C-4F52-9C2C-59199BC290BF.jpeg

Out on Tuesday, decided to head out off the harbour mouth and fish the ebb down to otter for coho, then fish before and after slack at otter for springs. Well that didn’t work quite the way I planned. As soon as I dropped my first line, boom, 13lb white spring. Back down it goes, before the other line out, boom about 8 lb wild coho released. Kept fishing the ebb to otter landed 2 more 6-8 lbs springs released and another wild coho. Hoping to save my second spring for something bigger at otter. 3 hrs later after fishing up/down otter, no more springs. Still a great day! All fish on spoons, 30-40 ft.F40C0F8E-4F27-4062-A57D-0AA5DC63A5C5.jpeg

Interesting that most reports are still from Otter area. In past years many would be fishing Possession and Harbour mouth for springs. I planned to do that last weekend but it was too foggy. I hate fishing Possession and Harbour in the fog so my boat took me to Otter/Muir. Should be springs out front now.

Fished out from of Sooke from 8 till noon today. Beautiful flat calm, with some fog. Kept a hatchery coho around 7lbs, released 3 wilds the same size. Crazy Orca show out in the straights around 11am. Must have been 10+ Orcas and their young ones heading South. The young ones were breaching every couple of minutes.
We live in a beautiful place!

Fishing solo off the Head this AM down deep, 85-125. Managed 2 springs and 2 coho on spoons in short order. The coho were poorly clipped but clipped nevertheless.Done by 8:30. It was nice to have no wind and no fog.
C2FF7D7E-9055-4ED9-8BEA-6540C9289601.jpeg

Fished out of Sooke this morning. Spent an hour looking for Springs but spent all my bait on small lings.

Just east of Otter point was loaded with bait and birds. Coho were feeding on the surface. Wished I had my fly rod. Couldn't get them on the riggers, the feeding fish were too shallow. Put the DRs away and dug out a couple of old slip weights. Worked like a hot dam. Best set up was 8oz, silver/red flasher and a pink, splatter back hootchie. 10 coho to the boat, only the first and last were clipped, both about 8lbs. Bellies packed full with krill. It all died down when the flood started moving around 1100.

Back