Beautiful day on the water today. A few shakers, kept one small clipped coho, and put back a nice spring after a quick pic.

Also got to do my first tow with the hewescraft as a guy lost power out by Aldridge.

Happy Fathers day to everyone.

Out this morning for hali for the first 4 hrs of the day up at JR. Dogfish were thick and no flatties. Planned to fish Otter for the 2nd half of the trip for salmon. We landed 2 spring about 10-12 pounds and lost a couple more out in the rip off Otter. While sitting in the current we noticed a couple kids casting from the rocks get a couple fish. So we tucked in close and ran shallow along in front of the point. Hit 2 more that didn't stay on and then followed soon after by a triple, released all three at the boat. All about the same size as the first 2 we released. Anchovies and a Kripple K spoon out for Coho caught them. Beauty day and a good number of boats out for Father's Day.

Out at Beecher Bay today from 10-3. 7-8 coho all wild and two springs, ones small hatchery and a nice low teens within retention area but wild no pics to share as got them right back. Coho were mostly shallow at 24-29 on DR couple at 50 in 250-350 FOW. Green grand slam with chunk of anchovie did most of damage including big spring. Bit sloppy out there in my tinner but managed to stay in boat. Next time will use my hatchery coho lures.

Out at Beecher Bay today from 10-3. 7-8 coho all wild and two springs, ones small hatchery and a nice low teens within retention area but wild no pics to share as got them right back. Coho were mostly shallow at 24-29 on DR couple at 50 in 250-350 FOW. Green grand slam with chunk of anchovie did most of damage including big spring. Bit sloppy out there in my tinner but managed to stay in boat. Next time will use my hatchery coho lures.
herring or needlefish size on the grand Slam bucktail?

Beauty night bite on the water tonight, out around trap shack and Beechy Head, from 6-9:30. We were hoping for coho, caught one hatch. Got into three good size spring, would say probably 2 high teens and one low twenties. All caught on the same coho killer and released in the water (one spit the hook when went to release). Several other boats around, definitely the most enjoyable trip thus far this year.

Beautiful morning on the water!

A few coho to the boat but all wild . Wife got a teenage spring to the boat. Fun to watch as I could tell on the take it was a decent spring and it would have to be released so I let the rookie do it her thing with no coaching.

My turn shortly after for a decent spring and it broke the hook off my skinny-g. Second time in less than a year for a new spoon to break a hook. Ditching all the factory hooks now

All the action was off Beechey Head

Back out tomorrow!

Beautiful morning on the water!

A few coho to the boat but all wild . Wife got a teenage spring to the boat. Fun to watch as I could tell on the take it was a decent spring and it would have to be released so I let the rookie do it her thing with no coaching.

My turn shortly after for a decent spring and it broke the hook off my skinny-g. Second time in less than a year for a new spoon to break a hook. Ditching all the factory hooks now

All the action was off Beechey Head

Back out tomorrow!
I recommend 4/0 mustad open sidewash hooks

Got out for the first time for a troll since getting a boat and first time in 20 years off East Sooke. Fri evening, Sat am, and Sunday mid-day over the weekend. Went out looking for Coho. Fri sunset and Sat am were constant action for 30-50cm Coho. Even bucktail on the surface was producing well. Put it out on a lighter weight fly rod. Made the little guys fun to play. I'd say we found 1/3 hatchery fish. Mid-day session way slower. Only found a few. Fishing out in ~500ft water and got fish at 100ft and up. Had a different flashers and spoons going, seemed like anything green out-performed.

I had a group of 15 guys out yesterday morning on 4 boats. We all fished out front of Secretary Island in 175-400 ft of water looking for coho and pinks. We ended up keeping 23 fish and about 18 crab for the morning. Fish were a mix of coho and pinks. We also released many wild coho and a couple of mature springs. For me 35 to 70 ft worked with small kripple k spoons and pink hootchies working well.

We fished off Secretary Island and beechy head sat and Sunday looking for coho, pinks or a c&r spring... several coho to the boat and kept 2 hatch over 50cm but it was pretty slow. Trolled the entire shore from Becher bay to Pedder Bay with no action until a nice wild 10lb spring bit the spoon just outside Pedder Bay. Released her without taking her head out of the water. Overall fun day on the water, nice to feel a spring again but had to battle some thick fog and brisk winds outside Becher. Lots of guys fishing salmon in Becher Bay and outside Pedder but only a couple boats anchored for Hali in the mud flats (whereas I counted 50 boats anchored in the same area last Friday)

Fished in the fog on Sunday mostly near secretary from 7:30 to 12:30 and got my two hatch coho by 9 then tried for pinks. No pinks but released 4-5 more coho, a couple were hatch. Most of the action was at 47-51’ on DR in 150-200 FOW. Everything on either pink or green grand slam or pink hootchie with bit of anchovie attached. Tried an hour or so for lingers but could get greenling and smaller rockfish. Coho sushi forthcoming

Out this morning for a few hours, easy limit of hatchery coho of Beechey Head. One was decent sized the rest still on the smaller side. 31-90 feet and anywhere between that was working. Released a few hatchery springs a well. Only us and one other boat playing in the fog.

We it looks like : Effective 00:01 hours August 1 to 23:59 hours August 31: One (1) Chinook per day with a maximum size limit of 80 cm on marked and unmarked Chinook.... Effective 00:01 hours September 1 to 23:59 hours December 31: Two (2) Chinook per day, no maximum size limit.
In the Sooke area 20-5 because the rest of it is closed 20-4 & 20-3 are closed to salmon fishing to support Southern Resident Killer Whale Recovery from August 1 until October 31, 2021.
Oh Well ..... Lots of pinks & coho this year.

Out today for 4 hours for the start of the flood off the island. Lots of Coho out off the reef and most were hatchery for us today. We kept 8 coho and 1 pink. 45 to 60 feet worked best and kripple k spoons and pink hootchies worked well.

We it looks like : Effective 00:01 hours August 1 to 23:59 hours August 31: One (1) Chinook per day with a maximum size limit of 80 cm on marked and unmarked Chinook.... Effective 00:01 hours September 1 to 23:59 hours December 31: Two (2) Chinook per day, no maximum size limit.
In the Sooke area 20-5 because the rest of it is closed 20-4 & 20-3 are closed to salmon fishing to support Southern Resident Killer Whale Recovery from August 1 until October 31, 2021.
Oh Well ..... Lots of pinks & coho this year.
Not sure where you got your information

Attachments

• CE9CE7B9-2ED2-451A-96FE-F0739A5EE138.png
    CE9CE7B9-2ED2-451A-96FE-F0739A5EE138.png
    376.4 KB · Views: 120
Back