Went out today lost one nice sized spring but the the rod went off and it was on after an amazing fight I landed a nice fat 90 cm spring and when released he took off fast and furious. We brought home 2 small springs and 8 pinks.

Attachments

• IMG_20210807_131706.jpg
    IMG_20210807_131706.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_20210807_131619.jpg
    IMG_20210807_131619.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 152
Quick solo fish this morning before a busy day with the fa

I was the first boat at Beechey this morning and got a picture perfect pass in tight …. BAM fish on! Never landed it but that was ok as it was over the slot size without question. Regrouped and made another pass and same thing never saw this one but it had some shoulders. Next 45 min was small stuff. Then I got a perfect 80cm fish that’s processed and in the freezer before 9 am.

Quick solo fish this morning before a busy day with the fa

I was the first boat at Beechey this morning and got a picture perfect pass in tight …. BAM fish on! Never landed it but that was ok as it was over the slot size without question. Regrouped and made another pass and same thing never saw this one but it had some shoulders. Next 45 min was small stuff. Then I got a perfect 80cm fish that’s processed and in the freezer before 9 am.
great story reminds me of the good old days (early eighties) at Trial Island at first light two fish in the babies bath and often too early to go to work

Fished on Saturday morning from 5 am - Noon Aldridge, Trap Shack and a few passes around secretary. We used medium herring in a teaser head and a Cop car lure. Half dozen small shakers on the lure and no action at all on the Herring, It was a busy spot to fish but what a great morning flat calm and minimal fog as the sun started to rise. A few good fish were netted off Bechey Head and the Trap around 7:30, I was expecting the bite to come on around tide change at 10 but it seems all the action was early on in the morning.

Out 3 hours with my dad for the tide change, bam fish on right away! Small spring, let go. Next pass double header of undersize springs. Wind picked up so trolled in to the bay, BAM! Pin popper! After one hell of a fight we netted it and into boat, quick measure @ 91cm (heart breaking) snapped a quick pic and released safely- watched swim back down into the depths.

Attachments

• 23FB2FFF-79F3-4505-943F-9069F6E08736.jpeg
    23FB2FFF-79F3-4505-943F-9069F6E08736.jpeg
    377 KB · Views: 167
Out 3 hours with my dad for the tide change, bam fish on right away! Small spring, let go. Next pass double header of undersize springs. Wind picked up so trolled in to the bay, BAM! Pin popper! After one hell of a fight we netted it and into boat, quick measure @ 91cm (heart breaking) snapped a quick pic and released safely- watched swim back down into the depths.
Great fish and nice work

Crazy morning today and finally no wind or fog. Started near the Head around 8am and had our first spring within minutes. Then we released 3 nice sockeye around 8lbs. Trolled down towards the shack and is was tough keeping lines in the water. Ended up with our 3 springs and 9 pinks. I drove and let the girls do the work.IMG_20210809_113051332.jpg

Well after the howling winds and mountainous seas of last week (ok I exaggerate! :)) we got out again 6 days after our last unsuccessful trip.

Much better than last time but a disaster was still thrown into the mix, as follows.

We headed to Muir and had little herrings down about 7:15am. We successfully negotiated the gauntlet of crab traps at the Otter point end of the troll and at 8:00am I turned from setting up one side to see the rod on the land side pounding away. He had hooked himself and after giving a pretty good fight we netted a 13lb hatchery chinook. Carried on down to the Sheringham end of the troll, boated a couple of pinks on the way and made a turn.

Then I saw the classic slow pull of a snag on one rod. I looked round and off the rear port side at least 35 metres away was a crab float! Panic ensued but too late! We ended up losing both sets of gear, at least 100 feet of line on each reel and a cannon ball. :(I still don’t understand how on earth we snagged the crab gear. It was still the ebb and we came from the downstream end and to one side. Utterly weird and infuriating as that lot was probably 100 bucks worth. Those crab guys have a good side line going!

After I calmed down I rigged again and we trolled against the ebb, back towards the Otter end of the troll. On the way we had some curious hits which turned out to be sockeye. We released three in all. Then two more pinks, then at the same spot as the first chinook we had another decent hit which turned into a nice bar-b-q sized 9lb fish. Pulled out of the 90’ contour then and turned out to round up our last two pinks and headed home.

Really great to have a flat calm day, finally, but how I hate those crab traps!! :mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:
Well after the howling winds and mountainous seas of last week (ok I exaggerate! :)) we got out again 6 days after our last unsuccessful trip.

Much better than last time but a disaster was still thrown into the mix, as follows.

We headed to Muir and had little herrings down about 7:15am. We successfully negotiated the gauntlet of crab traps at the Otter point end of the troll and at 8:00am I turned from setting up one side to see the rod on the land side pounding away. He had hooked himself and after giving a pretty good fight we netted a 13lb hatchery chinook. Carried on down to the Sheringham end of the troll, boated a couple of pinks on the way and made a turn.

Then I saw the classic slow pull of a snag on one rod. I looked round and off the rear port side at least 35 metres away was a crab float! Panic ensued but too late! We ended up losing both sets of gear, at least 100 feet of line on each reel and a cannon ball. :(I still don’t understand how on earth we snagged the crab gear. It was still the ebb and we came from the downstream end and to one side. Utterly weird and infuriating as that lot was probably 100 bucks worth. Those crab guys have a good side line going!

After I calmed down I rigged again and we trolled against the ebb, back towards the Otter end of the troll. On the way we had some curious hits which turned out to be sockeye. We released three in all. Then two more pinks, then at the same spot as the first chinook we had another decent hit which turned into a nice bar-b-q sized 9lb fish. Pulled out of the 90’ contour then and head out to round up our last two pinks and headed home.

Really great to have a flat calm day, finally, but how I hate those crab traps!! :mad::mad::mad:
Tons of crab traps this year. Too many poorly marked.
Last tack on Sunday heading back towards Otter I stayed well clear of where I marked the sunken trap I caught last weekend and lost my gear to. While I was clearing a pink from one line I suddenly see the same damn trap float 3 ft under water again. I hit the rigger button but too late. Caught in it again. Has to cut my rigger line again and lost another ball. I understand it is popular crab spot and they are trying to make a living but it has been a popular fishing spot for longer and the crabbers should have the curtesy to use proper length of line and floats that will stay above water.
I don’t think I’ve lost a ball in a few years and now I’ve lost 2 in 2 trips. Bastards!

Left Pedder bay at 930 this morning for trap shack area. Started out a around 300ft water.. fishing at 39 and 63. I couldn't keep the pinks off! I'd say 20 in an hour. After an hour, I trolled in towards trap shack to get away from pinks and hopefully find some springs. Fished in 116ft of water and trolled 39ft and 57ft. Spring after spring.... I thought I was going to get a break but no... first two were well oversize, following two were closer to the 50cm mark and the next were 74 and 80. Anything green seems to be working but the majority came in on no bananas combo.

I had 2 long time clients on board this morning and we headed out at 6am. By 6:20 I had the first rod in and a few minutes later the 2nd rod was down. 45 and 55 ft. I had the 3rd line floating on top and was about to plug it into the downrigger when the 45 ft line went off and Craig in disbelief came out of the cabin to take the rod. As I headed to the rod with the floating gear the centre rod bangs off the rigger. Double and we end up getting both, 80 and 75 cm. In 5 mins they are limited. We troll around to get me one, releasing one well over 80cm and one about 7-8 pounds, loose one and then end up with another 80cm in the boat. We headed out and east and picked up 6 pinks by the time we were off the bluffs and headed in early. Flat calm, lots of bait around and fish obviously...beauty and easy for me day. After all the wind this week it was a well deserved easy day.

Last edited:
Took a friend out for his first salmon trip of this year. Lines down by 7:30. I had a couple of shakers within minutes and then two sockeye. Around 9am my friend landed a 12lb spring and shortly after I got a 9lb one. From 10-12 we released 2 springs at 5 or 6 lbs and 3 around 12-14lbs. Also had a nice one in the high teens wrap itself around the down rigger line at the boat and snap the leader. Kept 5 pinks and released and lost several more. Skinny G or green and white coho killer, 55-70ft on the DR in 120-150ft out from the trap. My friend was a happy camper at the end of the day. Great day on the water with lots of boats out and saw lots of hook-ups.

I had 2 long time clients on board this morning and we headed out at 6am. By 6:20 I had the first rod in and a few minutes later the 2nd rod was down. 45 and 55 ft. I had the 3rd line floating on top and was about to plug it into the downrigger when the 45 ft line went off and Craig in disbelief came out of the cabin to take the rod. As I headed to the rod with the floating gear the centre rod bangs off the rigger. Double and we end up getting both, 80 and 75 cm. In 5 mins they are limited. We troll around to get me one, releasing one well over 80cm and one about 7-8 pounds, loose one and then end up with another 80cm in the boat. We headed out and east and picked up 6 pinks by the time we were off the bluffs and headed in early. Flat calm, lots of bait around and fish obviously...beauty and easy for me day. After all the wind this week it was a well deserved easy day.
Profisher I need to connect with you, could you email me at duncr2002@yahoo.ca. thanks

This whole last week is some of the best fishing I have ever seen in a long time LOTS and I meant lots of fish. when you see 5 or 6 guys on at a time with fish you know its good.
today fish were shallow again and the AP spoon is absolutely crushing it im getting 75 % on the spoons and im down to fishing 1 bait, seems its doesnt matter where I heard good from beechy,trap,island otter muir etc so go anywhere.

Only thing I can say negatively is give guys room a bit dont try and take shallow tact on the way down get into the circuit there is more then enough room right rod to shore applies no need to hump each others leg its a big ocean!!!!!

This whole last week is some of the best fishing I have ever seen in a long time LOTS and I meant lots of fish. when you see 5 or 6 guys on at a time with fish you know its good.
today fish were shallow again and the AP spoon is absolutely crushing it im getting 75 % on the spoons and im down to fishing 1 bait, seems its doesnt matter where I heard good from beechy,trap,island otter muir etc so go anywhere.

Only thing I can say negatively is give guys room a bit dont try and take shallow tact on the way down get into the circuit there is more then enough room right rod to shore applies no need to hump each others leg its a big ocean!!!!!
When you talk about shallow what depths are we talking?

I was out this morning for two hours before work and ashamed to admit it but was skunked. Saw lots of fish being caught but not a sniff for me. As far as I know I didn’t do anything different than the multiple times I have been out last week and had great fishing.

I know that’s fishing but it was a bit disheartening :(

Roy it’s only cause you’re showing a lot more leg than you used to with that new motor!
T2

Quick limits on springs again this morning with 45 and 55ft producing fish. All on Skinny G's again today as there are so many small feeder springs around I could easily go through 5 trays of bait if I ran it on all 3 rods ...and have the gear in my boat more than in the water. So long as the spoons keep pulling fish at a rate I feel is keeping up with what I see going on around me...the bait will stay in the freezer for another day. We got our limit on pinks as well but not right away...we got into sockeye first..7 of them. One pushing 9 pounds and the rest 6-7 pounds. Hopefully there are a few more around than they were expecting this summer.

When you talk about shallow what depths are we talking?
i was hitting fish today at 28 to 45 feet and the AP spoon was it in the micro and the small herring sizes, i dont think it matters cleaning fish ive seen small 2 inch herring or a large 6 inch one in the guts

Roy it’s only cause you’re showing a lot more leg than you used to with that new motor!

LOL LOL
maybe so

So these are all the same size within a lb of each but shows when a guy my size holds a fish and a 90 lb women holds the same fish!!!!
1628683059219.png

Back