2021 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

small trebles work the best ( like #4 ) , one point through the nose and one point through the skin behind the dorsal, they are mixed in with our herring we get sometimes and i find they actually handle being on the leader better than herring , they are also delicious gutted and grilled with parsley, good olive oil, lemon, calabrian chilli , garlic . or fried whole dipped in remoulade
Really eh? More like a smelt than a Herring in flavor? Smelts are my favorite eating fish hands down. Herring not so much.

Really eh? More like a smelt than a Herring in flavor? Smelts are my favorite eating fish hands down. Herring not so much.

to be honest i’ve never had fried smelt , and only eat herring pickled . they have a pleasant mild fishy flavour if that makes any sense , i mean fishy in a good way!

to be honest i’ve never had fried smelt , and only eat herring pickled . they have a pleasant mild fishy flavour if that makes any sense , i mean fishy in a good way!
Yes, it does. Smelts taste like mild flavored crispy salmon belly.

Went out this evening for catch and release to dial in before the opening July 4. Found lots of bait at quarry bay, released two, one being an 83 cm Chinook that tried to spool all my line!

Attachments

• 0EAFA879-8E6F-4E21-802F-9A4636A89C19.jpeg
    0EAFA879-8E6F-4E21-802F-9A4636A89C19.jpeg
    371.4 KB · Views: 93
What a pig!!
Right? I was once told that the Columbia river springs are shorter and fatter compared to Fraser Chinnok. This one was fat! I would have weighed him but as I was releasing him I didn’t want to use the scale or man handle him. Got me excited to go back though!

Pod of orcas went into and then out of the Harbour yesterday. Headed south. Anyone fishing Bjerrie shoals.? If so any signs of coho?? Feed??

Back