2021 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Hello, need to get out fishing but not sure what rules are. I just read this on DFO page and from what I can tell we can keep one Chinook a day. Correct? So what are the rules for other salmon right now?

Area 16 (portions of Sechelt and Jervis Inlets):

Effective immediately until 23:59 hours July 14, 2021, one (1) Chinook per day marked or unmarked, with maximum 80 cm size limit on unmarked Chinook. There is no maximum size limit on hatchery marked Chinook. The minimum size in Area 16 is 62 cm.

Use this or just go to egmont and get on with it lols
Please correct me if I’m wrong but has this now been downgraded to retention in 16-6, 16-9, and 16-12 only? Was in Egmont this afternoon trying 16-9 with no luck, reports of better outside the mouth into 16-13 but I think that’s closed now??

Please correct me if I’m wrong but has this now been downgraded to retention in 16-6, 16-9, and 16-12 only? Was in Egmont this afternoon trying 16-9 with no luck, reports of better outside the mouth into 16-13 but I think that’s closed now??

Unless it happened today, the map I posted is correct. You have to dig into he restrictions to see the most detail that was updated for the special measures.

Thanks for the area map, very helpful.
So from what I have gathered in Area 16 (not including sub area of Jervis) Chinook is still non retention until July 15th
You are allowed Chum(4), Hatchery Coho (2) Wild Coho (0), Pink (4) and Sockeye (0). Also there is a limit of 4 for overall catch.

Excellent couple of hours yesterday afternoon at Epsom, released four teener springs in an hour spell, all feisty fighters. Back trolling and jigging with shimano butterfly setup, found thick balls of anchovies directly off the nav marker, 200-400 m offshore in variable depths.

Excellent couple of hours yesterday afternoon at Epsom, released four teener springs in an hour spell, all feisty fighters. Back trolling and jigging with shimano butterfly setup, found thick balls of anchovies directly off the nav marker, 200-400 m offshore in variable depths.
curious what size butterfly jigs are you trying?

130 gram was good in the fairly fast flood tide/10 knot breeze conditions. Needed kicker to back troll at times but was workable solo.

Hi Sly-karma.
It is a great way to fish but were you able to keep your lines vertical with the tide and wind pushing you? Was there a colour that seemed to be more effective??
Thanks

Yes just working the kicker in and out of gear. I found it easier to point the boat downwind and use reverse to counter the drift.

The only Shimano jigs I could get were Black Anchovy. Those were working well today and yesterday, because there's lots of anchovies around. Sometimes it's really obvious on the sonar screen - big orange bait ball with fish arches below. Twice today I pretty much knew I would hook up, and was not proven wrong.

Yes just working the kicker in and out of gear. I found it easier to point the boat downwind and use reverse to counter the drift.

The only Shimano jigs I could get were Black Anchovy. Those were working well today and yesterday, because there's lots of anchovies around. Sometimes it's really obvious on the sonar screen - big orange bait ball with fish arches below. Twice today I pretty much knew I would hook up, and was not proven wrong.
I jigged up some of those little guys. Didn't have hooks small enough to try and rig them up to mooch with. Anyone ever try that with 4" chovies?

Thank you Sly_karma. I have a number of butterfly jigs and have found the black anchovy to be good most of the time. I am in a smaller boat and usually fish off Bjerre Shoals but I admire you for fishing solo, with a tide and wind. Only jigging for me!! Done enough trolling!! THANKS AGAIN!!
Thanks a

I jigged up some of those little guys. Didn't have hooks small enough to try and rig them up to mooch with. Anyone ever try that with 4" chovies?
Yeah I jigged up a couple of chovies too, same thought crossed my mind. But left it just as fast since I was having plenty success on the jig.

Another thing I like about jigging is how quick it is to get gear in the water. Cruise around slowly looking for bait, throw it in reverse for a moment to stop the boat and get back over the ball, then bombs away in seconds.

I do have a little aerator setup on board, but hooking up a livie takes more time. Will get some herring from Mercers one day this week and do a mooching session though. Probably save that for 'opening day' next week when it will be a complete gong show at Epsom. I'll need all the serenity I can get that day.

I jigged up some of those little guys. Didn't have hooks small enough to try and rig them up to mooch with. Anyone ever try that with 4" chovies

small trebles work the best ( like #4 ) , one point through the nose and one point through the skin behind the dorsal, they are mixed in with our herring we get sometimes and i find they actually handle being on the leader better than herring , they are also delicious gutted and grilled with parsley, good olive oil, lemon, calabrian chilli , garlic . or fried whole dipped in remoulade

Back