2021 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Is it worth salmon fishing at the end of the month? Got a new boat and I gotta try it out. Kinda going stir crazy. Was thinking of heading out for a week. Prawning I’m thinking should be good. I notice the ling fishing is currently closed. Any idea when it opens?
Normally Ling cod open April 1. There are feeder springs around In Esperanza inlet, Places like Garden point can be pretty good for them. They seem to like small spoons. You can try Ferrer point or any of the other near shore spots, there will be the odd bigger chinook. You can go out and fish the offshore areas hoping to intercept some Columbia River springs up until April 1 when it will likely be shut down as it has been in the past few years.

Prawning in Nootka and Esperanza in general isn't great, they get hit very hard by commercials every year, but this is before their opening so should be some around.

If You are looking for accommodation Port Eliza Lodge is open for room rentals only. You can bring your own food and use the Kitchen or BBQs to cook.

Getting things ready for the season, and a bit of early season fishing in the Esperanza area. Plenty of feeder springs around the Garden point Area and halibut a couple of miles offshore. We are open for Bring your own boat and food as of May 1, we will rent you a room, and you can use our BBQ or Kitchen to cook! We expect to be open for Salmon retention again all season in area 25. received_443138570278295.jpegreceived_185206363204687.jpeg

Attachments

• received_777605643187816.jpeg
    received_777605643187816.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Wondering how the new docks are looking at cougar creek? Did they do any work to the moorage on the breakwater? Any info would be awesome, won’t be up until June.

Getting things ready for the season, and a bit of early season fishing in the Esperanza area. Plenty of feeder springs around the Garden point Area and halibut a couple of miles offshore. We are open for Bring your own boat and food as of May 1, we will rent you a room, and you can use our BBQ or Kitchen to cook! We expect to be open for Salmon retention again all season in area 25. View attachment 63618View attachment 63617
very nice, you guys have gas at the lodge?

Getting things ready for the season, and a bit of early season fishing in the Esperanza area. Plenty of feeder springs around the Garden point Area and halibut a couple of miles offshore. We are open for Bring your own boat and food as of May 1, we will rent you a room, and you can use our BBQ or Kitchen to cook! We expect to be open for Salmon retention again all season in area 25. View attachment 63618View attachment 63617
looks like even a rookie can catch fish

Wondering how the new docks are looking at cougar creek? Did they do any work to the moorage on the breakwater? Any info would be awesome, won’t be up until June.
IMG_1533.jpg
Signs posted at the Nesook turn off. This was taken yesterday.

May 3 and I'm not hearing much about Nootka/Esp yet. Anybody up there got a sense of how the FN are going to manage the boat launch in Gold River this year? Hoping we don't see a repeat of last season when we were all on pins and needles till June 30th or thereabouts with whether they were going to open the ramp. It all turned out ok but I could do without that stress this year. Hoping for a great season up there.

May 3 and I'm not hearing much about Nootka/Esp yet. Anybody up there got a sense of how the FN are going to manage the boat launch in Gold River this year? Hoping we don't see a repeat of last season when we were all on pins and needles till June 30th or thereabouts with whether they were going to open the ramp. It all turned out ok but I could do without that stress this year. Hoping for a great season up there.
Sure hope not. Launching in GR June 29th for Critter!

I dont know why there would be any issues?..
The locals all got their shots if they wanted them

Possibly planning a trip to Nootka over the May long weekend. Any idea what the weather is like out there this time of year? Would be heading to the outside for bottom fish so high winds might be limiting.

Back