2021 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Possibly planning a trip to Nootka over the May long weekend. Any idea what the weather is like out there this time of year? Would be heading to the outside for bottom fish so high winds might be limiting.
Too far ahead to tell-hit one of the wave forcasters such as windyty a week from now. This time of year 50/50

Good bite on springs on the weekend at burdwood lots around 5-10lbs Biggest spring was around 28lbs. All fish where caught on white turds!

Thanks for the info, that's great to hear. We will be out at Critter several times this summer, starting with their "Halibut Hustle" in the middle of June. Looking forward to being back out there soon, maybe even for a daytrip from CR.....

I don't have access to the coordinates right now, here is a picture of them highlighted in yellow. If you are looking for a spot to explore Esperanza our lodge is an ideal spot, located in Port Eliza inlet, right near the mouth of Esperanza inlet, a short distance to the fishing grounds (highlighted in red in the image) . We do bring your own boat (BYOB) packages as well as fully guided.

View attachment 62500
Out of curiosity what are you using for this chart? My Navionics on both my boat and my tablet don't show the details like gravel, rock or sand. My old paper charts do but this is nice. Thanks

Fishing for Salmon in Esperanza has been hit and miss, it is a bit early still. Therpe are feeders in the inlet at Garden point area, a few bigger fish outside at inner black area. Bottom fishing has been good for halibut at structure 1 to 4 miles out. The camera operator kind of cut my head off!

Attachments

• 20210426_174926.jpg
    20210426_174926.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 117
Its a site called i-boating free charts

Here is the pins you were asking about

View attachment 65697

Are the X's closer to shore Li
Its a site called i-boating free charts

Here is the pins you were asking about

View attachment 65697
Thanks for the image. Just using the I boat charts. At first glance they seem pretty good. thanks again.

Would it be worth bringng my prawn traps up this summer if I come fishing for a week or two? I've fished the area for years, but never thought about prawning....

Great trip to Nootka over the long weekend staying at Moutcha Bay. Managed to get offshore for bottom fish on Saturday and Sunday. Lots of white meat for the freezer. A few boats fishing Maquinna/Friendly Cove but didn't hear of much salmon action. Still quiet at Moutcha for fishing guests but lots of campers.

Attachments

• IMG_20210522_150249.jpg
    IMG_20210522_150249.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_20210521_205031.jpg
    IMG_20210521_205031.jpg
    447.9 KB · Views: 269
I don't have access to the coordinates right now, here is a picture of them highlighted in yellow. If you are looking for a spot to explore Esperanza our lodge is an ideal spot, located in Port Eliza inlet, right near the mouth of Esperanza inlet, a short distance to the fishing grounds (highlighted in red in the image) . We do bring your own boat (BYOB) packages as well as fully guided.

View attachment 62500
The yellow to the right is the ‘T’. The Guitar is simply the shallowest ridge of Esperanza Reef, aka 6 mile-ish reef.

Just wondering about the ramp situation in Gold River. Is it open to the public or are there any Covid restrictions in place?

Thanks

Back