2021 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Fished Cree first light on Saturday for the first trip in my new 190 Double Eagle. We had a good morning bite and were close to limits on Springs by 7:30am. All smaller fish with the biggest around 10lbs.

First real fishing trip of the year for the me and the family. Had our boat and and a couple on there boat run out Thursday night after trailering over from Qualicum and the mainland. Plan was to launch off Thursday after dinner early evening and make it out to anchor in the inlet at Underwood, well it was right rough and didn’t lay down in evening like hoped for, should have pulled into the marina tried on radio but no answer. Was a pretty rough night on the hook with not much sleep but managed to get the early sockeye bite in calm waters. Picked up 5 nice ones and lost a few running kone zones off each ball and 4 rods. Decided on taking a rest and brunch in the calm water before running out to the sound, this resulted in more wind lol but actually calmed just past namint. Was beauty in the sound and made a run out to Cree, right past glassy water and sunshine at swale. Cree was a little rough and over cast . Tried for salmon for a bit but wasn’t to productive on my boat for any keeper sized, our friends picked up a nice one running light house spoons.
We spent Friday and Saturday on the hook in the nettle island area and fished Gibraltar swale area and over to sandford, Fleming on Sunday. Was nice evenings and misty mornings, fishing was super busy with shakers and some smaller keepers mixed in. Coho are around in some good numbers and size. My friends had a good screemer they lost off swale. Sunday was most productive running sandford down to robbers for my boat pretty non stop action. Double glo black flasher with a 3.5 lighthouse glo spoon was best for me. Wasn’t crazy hot for bigger fish but was fun and productive. Also keep in mind I’m rolling with a 2 year old 9 year old and a tired wife so we’re taking it easy, I’m not switching the gear up to much lol. Overall an awesome first trip of the season

Attachments

• AECAEC07-7928-40DF-B97F-8D678947CD21.jpeg
    AECAEC07-7928-40DF-B97F-8D678947CD21.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 217
  • 918A4190-24B1-4419-A4AD-47ED6DD8381A.jpeg
    918A4190-24B1-4419-A4AD-47ED6DD8381A.jpeg
    123.6 KB · Views: 196
  • 6CF56042-B2DA-4208-8E92-C2C2EE62C49B.jpeg
    6CF56042-B2DA-4208-8E92-C2C2EE62C49B.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 219
  • F47CD628-04B0-4C2C-A4D6-8D2602DC4A7B.png
    F47CD628-04B0-4C2C-A4D6-8D2602DC4A7B.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 229
First real fishing trip of the year for the me and the family. Had our boat and and a couple on there boat run out Thursday night after trailering over from Qualicum and the mainland. Plan was to launch off Thursday after dinner early evening and make it out to anchor in the inlet at Underwood, well it was right rough and didn’t lay down in evening like hoped for, should have pulled into the marina tried on radio but no answer. Was a pretty rough night on the hook with not much sleep but managed to get the early sockeye bite in calm waters. Picked up 5 nice ones and lost a few running kone zones off each ball and 4 rods. Decided on taking a rest and brunch in the calm water before running out to the sound, this resulted in more wind lol but actually calmed just past namint. Was beauty in the sound and made a run out to Cree, right past glassy water and sunshine at swale. Cree was a little rough and over cast . Tried for salmon for a bit but wasn’t to productive on my boat for any keeper sized, our friends picked up a nice one running light house spoons.
We spent Friday and Saturday on the hook in the nettle island area and fished Gibraltar swale area and over to sandford, Fleming on Sunday. Was nice evenings and misty mornings, fishing was super busy with shakers and some smaller keepers mixed in. Coho are around in some good numbers and size. My friends had a good screemer they lost off swale. Sunday was most productive running sandford down to robbers for my boat pretty non stop action. Double glo black flasher with a 3.5 lighthouse glo spoon was best for me. Wasn’t crazy hot for bigger fish but was fun and productive. Also keep in mind I’m rolling with a 2 year old 9 year old and a tired wife so we’re taking it easy, I’m not switching the gear up to much lol. Overall an awesome first trip of the season
Nice report , enjoyed the read , were not to Bamfield till mid August , the wait and the pain is getting unbearable . keep up the good reports guys ! we will be trailering in , any thing to report on the road upgrades ?

Nice report , enjoyed the read , were not to Bamfield till mid August , the wait and the pain is getting unbearable . keep up the good reports guys ! we will be trailering in , any thing to report on the road upgrades ?
not much really going on, a few culverts and bridges being re-done. a good thing is they been spraying the road in different sections with i think (calcium chloride?), really firms up the road with no dust or potholes in those sections. (until it rains)
TRAILERING IN??????? ugh.. dont do it man.

not much really going on, a few culverts and bridges being re-done. a good thing is they been spraying the road in different sections with i think (calcium chloride?), really firms up the road with no dust or potholes in those sections. (until it rains)
TRAILERING IN??????? ugh.. dont do it man.
Like trophy wife says. Don’t do it , unless you take 3 hrs to drive the gravel and even then something May break.

Like trophy wife says. Don’t do it , unless you take 3 hrs to drive the gravel and even then something May break.
Truck , Camper , and 20' boat , your right 3hr - 3 1/2hr drive , been doing it for over AT LEAST 20 years now , slow and steady ! i have also run the channel and you get to Bamfield about a hour to hour and a half faster than the truck can drive in , running the channel i have had engine troubles on the boat and with no safety boat and no communication with your partners at least i know by trailering in we will make it , But very slowly ! Seems i spend more time watching the road behind me so i can move over and let vehicles by , and your also correct on the dust and the rain .Over the years i have found rods and reels , perfectly good tire rims , hubcaps , boat trailer rollers , trailer fenders , oh yes i know the road well ! all part of the adventure i guess . 1108 power poles there all numbered ! so it's easy to know how far along you are . But i thank you all for your concerns they are valid for sure .

Fished Monday to Wednesday and had solid action on springs from 17-25 lbs. 1 coho. Hit a couple of Hali working for springs which was a bonus as she was a little rough still off shore. Laid down enough on Wednesday to whack some white meat.
Had a great time as usual. Anchovies and green needlefish were the ticket for us almost exclusively.

Fished Monday to Wednesday and had solid action on springs from 17-25 lbs. 1 coho. Hit a couple of Hali working for springs which was a bonus as she was a little rough still off sho. Laid down enough on Wednesday to whack some white meat.
Had a great time as usual. Anchovies and green needlefish were the ticket for us almost exclusively.
We’re you working the surf line for the springs. I’m heading back over on Friday.

Out in the sound monday to weds, mostly relaxing and working on some cabin improvements. Had our 7 yr old grandaughter with us and she really wanted to try and catch her first salmon. So on a slack flood we went to Swale and she got her wish, non stop action, seldom had 2 rods in the water. She (me) released 9 shakers and she was tired and had 2 sore arms ( mooching reels) , got knuckle busted twice, i assisted her only by stabilizing the rods for her and she asked if she could keep her limit to bring home to mommy and daddy to eat. She asked again the following day with similar results and marked her license with 4 salmon and told everyone we saw and is hooked for good now.

Attachments

• 20210713_161100.jpg
    20210713_161100.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 228
  • 20210713_095524.jpg
    20210713_095524.jpg
    424.5 KB · Views: 227
Out in the sound monday to weds, mostly relaxing and working on some cabin improvements. Had our 7 yr old grandaughter with us and she really wanted to try and catch her first salmon. So on a slack flood we went to Swale and she got her wish, non stop action, seldom had 2 rods in the water. She (me) released 9 shakers and she was tired and had 2 sore arms ( mooching reels) , got knuckle busted twice, i assisted her only by stabilizing the rods for her and she asked if she could keep her limit to bring home to mommy and daddy to eat. She asked again the following day with similar results and marked her license with 4 salmon and told everyone we saw and is hooked for good now.
That’s what it’s about right there. Trophy pic of the summer.

Nice day to be sitting on anchor off shore. We have two under hali on board. Just finished breakfast wraps heated up on the barbecue. Almost nap time.
First thing that came to my mind came up as all stars on here it wouldn’t type it lol.

Sounds great John,, just a few more days and I’ll be there as well.

Had a few buddy's out the big bank today looks like they had an awesome day with some decent Chinook and a killer whale show. Anyone have an update on some closer in spots. Will be heading down tomorrow for 3 days. Offshore forecast looks good wouldn’t mind trying the chair or the hockey stick.

Fished Pill and Swale and got four decent springs (smallish) lots of jacks and all hatchery clipped.

Back