2021 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Ya id never fished they're but got 1 first tac and never looked back it's just the rock directly across from bamfield harbor with light beacon that everyone flies by on the way to Sanford or swale. Mo

But don't ever try for winter springs there...

Is 123-1 inshore open for fishing? feels like I have spent hours trying to figure it out? https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s23-eng.html

Swapping Captains on Saturday mid day, so if you think I'm the A-hole cutting you off today-Saturday morning, it isn't me. Saturday afternoon to Monday Morning I'm the distracted A-hole, with a 4 year old poking me in the eye with a rod, who is cutting you off.

Is 123-1 inshore open for fishing? feels like I have spent hours trying to figure it out? https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s23-eng.html

Swapping Captains on Saturday mid day, so if you think I'm the A-hole cutting you off today-Saturday morning, it isn't me. Saturday afternoon to Monday Morning I'm the distracted A-hole, with a 4 year old poking me in the eye with a rod, who is cutting you off.
123-1 non retention of Chinook, 2 Coho Hatchery only

Where in the H can you tell this, it was what I was thinking but my buddy thought it was closed.
It’s not easy that’s for sure and to be honest I am just going off of my interpretation of the regs. If I was you and you want to be 100% for sure I would phone DFO and confirm don’t take some guys off the interweb said so lol.

First time we made the run from China Creek to Barkley we were in a 14 foot tin boat with a 15hp Honda and a 7.5hp kicker. We were on the ramp at 4:00 AM when they dropped the chain. It took us 1 hour 15 minutes to Chup Pt and in those days we fished Pill Pt, DIplock and Swale. Almost always smooth in the AM, but we knew we needed to be on our way back by noon. Cutting across Nahmint was always the killer as with wind, 4 ft wind waves are more than a reality. Can be scarry at best and a pretty ugly ride. The fishing in Barkley always made it worth it though. That boat did dozens of runs to Barkley in the almost 15 years we fished it there. Lot's of fish blood in that boat. Your boat, a piece of cake. I'd fish Swale, Mears Bluff/Effingham, Cree, Kirby Pt off Diana. Really you can find fish everywhere. Actually, you are right in the peak of Sockeye in the Inlet. You can drop your downriggers as soon as you leave the harbour at China Creek. Go accross the channel and fish Dunsmuir to the Slide, through the Narrows, Macktush, Franklin Wall, Hook Bay, and 10 Mile Pt. There will be plenty of boats to follow. Send your wife to talk to people coming back to camp from the marina and you should get the 'skinny' on whats going on. You will want to have 2.5" pink and black, MP15 pink hootchies, and leaders with 2 rigid tie 1/0 black steel hooks tied as close together as possible for Sockeye in the Inlet. Leaders are 24" to 27" depending on your trolling speed. Experiment until you find what works for you. Herring Aide Coho Killers and Skinny G's, 4.5" Purple Haze Aurora, Pink, and Army Truck Hootchies, Blue/Chrome, Green/Chrome 4" Coyote spoons and maybe a 6" 602 Tomic for Coho and Springs in Barkley. 42" leaders for hootchies there. Our favorites in Barkley the last couple of years has been 4 Herring Aide Coho Killers on 64" 40# leaders stacked 60', 70', 80', 90' on the back side of Effingham off Mears Bluff. Just troll 1.9 or so SOG between the 94' and 165' contour lines. Money. Our last year before Covid kept us home we had an honest 40 Spring morning on a slack tide. We couldn't get both sides down without a fish on. We really like the 94' contour line wrapping around Swale Rock as well. Again 60' to 90'. Our biggest Coho (18#+) have come from Swale. Anchovies in Purple Haze or UV Green Rhys Davis heads work really well too. Our favorite flasher is the 160 HotSpot Clear UV Chameleon. We love that thing.
We fished and camped (on the lawn!) at China Creek for 30+ years until the Seiners and Gill Netters made it not fun for us anymore. Your family, especially your kids will love the park. It's safe and beautiful. It's sad thinking about not going anymore. We go to Ukie now to catch our Columbia River Springs before they get home. Much mellower experience for us 'old folks'. Enjoy and catch a lot of fish!
jc Tuna Maru

'
I truly appreciate everyone's insight. So many valuable information and can't thank you everyone enough for taking the time providing me such amazing info. I can't wait to go camping and fishing with the family in what sounds like an awesome place,

Heading out late tomorrow afternoon early evening to launch out of cluetesi. Probably going to run to China creek and maybe anchor up in the little bay just past there and try sockeye in the morning. Will run out to the sound Friday and spend a night or 2. Hopefully the inside spots are holding as looks like it may get a bit windy outside. Pretty excited to get out. Will have my wife and kids should be pretty fun our little toddler girl is excited

Heading out late tomorrow afternoon early evening to launch out of cluetesi. Probably going to run to China creek and maybe anchor up in the little bay just past there and try sockeye in the morning. Will run out to the sound Friday and spend a night or 2. Hopefully the inside spots are holding as looks like it may get a bit windy outside. Pretty excited to get out. Will have my wife and kids should be pretty fun our little toddler girl is excited
You won't have to go outside to find fish. There are lots of springs holding in the usual inshore spots. Not many big ones but lots of fun for kids. Try Chup, Pill, Diplock at 70-100' and decide from there if you want to go further
Have fun

Where in the H can you tell this, it was what I was thinking but my buddy thought it was closed.
If you have the FishingBC app you can find it under the area 123 regs. It's the second listing in the regulations section.

I just got back from a three day trip. We hit the first tide change at Fleming on the way out. We had steady Coho action and one small spring for an hour and a half. When things slowed down my buddy said there was a hali spot near Austin, so we bombed over there. Nothing, so we decided to try for some more Salmon. Fished there to Cree for an hour and a half, we picked up one five-ish lb spring, but it was pretty slow, so we decided we should go check in at Mills Landing, where we were staying. The next morning we headed out to Seven Mile for Halibut. We spent most of the day out there checking different spots, with no luck, we were using Berkley Grubs and usually have success with them. On the way in we tried the one mile mark for salmon, and had a huge hit that didn't stick. We started our tack started near the lighthouse at Cape Beal and it took us down by the Broken Group. I wanted to fish closer in by the lighthouse, so we decided to fire up the main and make a quick run over. But when I turned the key I got a water in fuel alarm. I could see no water in my Racor, but I carry a spare, so we changed it out and dumped out the fuel filter on the motor, but the alarm didn't clear, so we decided to head closer to Bamfield where there were more people around in case the motor just quit. I called the Dealership, and the technician felt I was unlikely to do serious damage to my motor running back to PA the next day, so we just fished close to Bamfield for the rest of the trip so I didn't use the main more than I needed to. On the way in we fished Diana and Helby islands. We started to pick up fish from Self Point to Wizard. Fishing this spot we managed to fill our three dance cards with Coho and Springs all in the five to seven lb range.

Last edited:
Same here, going solo after work today, will fish around kirby this evening then off shore tomorrow morning, good luck might see you out there

It was a bumpy ride out to Pocahontas then flattened out somewhat after that when i made the run.
kirby was producing LOTS of small legal "sockeye sized" springs in the 2.5hrs i was there, double headers fishing alone with the breeze made things interesting lol.
Bait jumping all around and showing on sounder, could have bonked 2 in about 10mins! Waited but the larger springs we're not there for me tonight.
I love that spot.
Wait and see now what the morning brings with sea conditions for a chance to poke around off shore

It was a bumpy ride out to Pocahontas then flattened out somewhat after that when i made the run.
kirby was producing LOTS of small legal "sockeye sized" springs in the 2.5hrs i was there, double headers fishing alone with the breeze made things interesting lol.
Bait jumping all around and showing on sounder, could have bonked 2 in about 10mins! Waited but the larger springs we're not there for me tonight.
I love that spot.
Wait and see now what the morning brings with sea conditions for a chance to poke around off shore
Kirby can be so awesome at times...when the kelp is thick off the point and you rub right along the edge...$$$

A little to sporting for me alone off shore this am, stuck around edward king, got 2 nice lings on ap sandlance spoons dragging bottom, 1 thats partly being deep fried as i type, broke down and bonked 2 smaller springs, 5-7lbs, nice ride in
Will wait till August now to go back to Bamfield,

Well it seems it's getting better in side for springs and coho. Fished the back side of Fleming today for4 hours, we brought 3 springs around 11 lbs and 6 coho back to the dock. There was a good number of clipped coho around today . We released so many small fish ( just crazy on how many small fish there is). No stop action. Skinny g herring aid spoon at 48 feet seem to be the ticket.

Fishing Effingham for one teenager Saturday afternoon and then finished on the wall with four small spring, getting hits until 10pm. In the morning tried the wall then went to Flemming and managed to limit out. Highlight of the trip was my son asking to put out the big rod with a slip weight and large chovie and it going off with the largest spring of the trip. Lure below had to have 50 fish hit it over less than 24 hours.6D6E1FEF-6768-45A8-B07E-21BCA05565B4.jpeg
024A6DF9-8F14-44B1-A660-A17585DEABAB.jpeg

Back