sooke today. started at Possession and Secretary from 7:00 for couple hours without a sniff. Moved offshore ato 400' and trolled with ebb all the way to Otter. Mostly bait stealers and undersized but picked up 7lb hatch coho. Arrived at Otter at same time as whales around 11:30. Lost one just as whales were passing by then not a sniff til 2:00. Lumpy ride back to Sooke harbour with flood tide and SE wind.

sooke today. started at Possession and Secretary from 7:00 for couple hours without a sniff. Moved offshore ato 400' and trolled with ebb all the way to Otter. Mostly bait stealers and undersized but picked up 7lb hatch coho. Arrived at Otter at same time as whales around 11:30. Lost one just as whales were passing by then not a sniff til 2:00. Lumpy ride back to Sooke harbour with flood tide and SE wind.

Fished the tide change today at Church using anchovies, nothing to show for our are efforts but bait and fish were showing in abundance. Fished from 10 till 2 with 2 whale shows happening right as we ended our outing. A five or six pack of Killer Whales coming though Church Rock and a couple of Humpies a little farther out. Picked up 5 nice dungies in Pedder Bay to finish the day.

Out today off Beechey Head and Trap then way out. 8:00-12:00. 3 Coho, 2 hatchery/1 wild. 1 Grilse. That's it. Quiet day on the water but lovely day.

Got a 12# off otter today Peetz hookum spoon
Threw back 6 wild hos
Bait and spoon were both performing equally well!
Lost a good one long line released!

Tones of good hits. Great day on the water!

Fished Otter 6-2 today. 1 teener on bait right in the middle of the pod of whales and whale watching boats off the point. Friends son was filming the orcas beside the boat at the time and got it all on video. If I could mute it I'd post it 2 nice wild coho released as well.

A friend from Ottawa was visting who works at the DFO so I took her out to sooke for the long weekend.

Sunday she caught her first fish, a small 4/5lb spring which we kept for the BBQ, lost a couple bigger fish and then returned 2 wild coho.

Monday morning I got a 4/5lb spring which went back and no other hits as all the whales showed up! With that, we decided to head back. A beautiful weekend on the water though - though it was RAMMED with boats.

That's too bad that spoons not producing for you fishhook. Perhaps faster? Most people's chovy speed is too slow for that spoon...imo. I like when they just start to do an occasional roll but mostly swimming/wobbling. This 21lb and a 15 fell for that very spoon this morning for me in vic. No flasher on the line. That video is slowed down 8X....but actually trolling 2.8-3kn.

View attachment 35217
Thanks for confirming that my spoon is doing the expected action. I troll slower so about 2kn (=3.6 km/h). So would you say the effective speed range for this spoon is about 2.8-3kn? Maybe trolling faster is all I need to do to be successful with this spoon.
I also use a flasher. What leader length would you recommend in this case?

I use the 4" AP herring spoon with a 56" leader trolling 2.1 mph. It outfished bait 2 to 1.

I know I'll get hassled on this question...
treble hooks always make some people get there knickers in a twist.

Running a spoon I found I was getting lots of undersized fish.

Would running a larger treble hook be a possibility of limiting some hook ups of these little guys.

I use the 4" AP herring spoon with a 56" leader trolling 2.1 mph. It outfished bait 2 to 1.
Wow, that is impressive. Thanks for sharing these numbers. That's awesome. Just to clarify about speed as some might use mph and kn interchangeable: Do you mean 2.1 mph = 3.4 km/h or 2.1 kn = 3.9 km/h?

I know I'll get hassled on this question...
treble hooks always make some people get there knickers in a twist.

Running a spoon I found I was getting lots of undersized fish.

Would running a larger treble hook be a possibility of limiting some hook ups of these little guys.

Unlikely.... try changing depths or size of spoon before switching out hooks. Very few people use treble hooks on spoons when fishing for salmon.

2.1 mph = 3.4 km/h

I typically fish in 50 or 60 or 70' of water with 12# balls and run the spoon side 10' above that depth on the rigger and try to keep the downrigger line at 45 degrees.

Last edited:
Took a friend out Sept 1st and she caught her first 'pacific' salmon, which turned out to be an escaped Atlantic trout. 100' downrigger depth over 350' bottom off Secretary.

Hali fished from about 12 30 till 3 30 near Victoria. Just a few dog fish there. Then up to Otter around 4 30 pm ish. Bout 30 min in I landed a smaller spring about 8 lbs on a pink flashfly that I released. Bout 20 min after that I lost a spring in the mid teens on the same flash fly. About 10 min after that I got a spring in the mid20170905_181223.jpg teens on a spoon that I killed then about 30 min later I got another one around 10 lbs on an anchovy that I released. And a Pink released just before dark also on the anchovy. Lot of action for me all within about an hour and a half window mostly. 20170905_173348.jpg

Another attempt day, fished 10:30-5:00 tried Aldridge point, Beechey, Trap Shack, Secretary Island, Church Rock, Whirl Bay and not a single bite. Tried running chartreuse lemon lime with a bloody nose teaser on a 6' leader, and a Gibbs outfitter flasher and outfitter skinny g (36" leader), glo green hootchie (32" leader), AP herring (40" leader), blue nickle skinny g (36" leader) and nothing. Would be nice to get at least one spring this year jeez

Another attempt day, fished 10:30-5:00 tried Aldridge point, Beechey, Trap Shack, Secretary Island, Church Rock, Whirl Bay and not a single bite. Tried running chartreuse lemon lime with a bloody nose teaser on a 6' leader, and a Gibbs outfitter flasher and outfitter skinny g (36" leader), glo green hootchie (32" leader), AP herring (40" leader), blue nickle skinny g (36" leader) and nothing. Would be nice to get at least one spring this year jeez
Try a bloody nose head and a red glow hotspot hopefully a big whitey grabs it

Nothing around otter for me today - went out deep looking for pinks late afternoon - ended up with two small clipped chinook out in deep water on a coho killer.

Back