Out from 9 to 11. Two strikes on an army truck in 90' right off possession. That was it. Nothing on a pink squirt or anchovie. Try again tomorrow.

Fished out of Pedder Bay for an hour and a half starting at 9:15 or so and only had one shaker. Moved over to Beachy Head for another hour or so and managed a couple more shakers before missing one good hit followed by landing 10 lber just after lunch. Called it a day after that.....20170724_141303.jpg Everything on spoons at 70'...

Yes fishing has been a bit slow but its July and it ALWAYS happens been managing 1 or 2 but far from "on fire" my 25 cents is still up for grabs
Today was trolling down the tact passing a fellow boat following the rules of the ocean right rod to shore letting this boat pass me on my port side, look over to see who it was to say hi !!!!!!!! AND THEN thats when I SAW it the elusive and rarely seen "ENGLISHMAN" !!!!!!!!!! and he was doing the shallow tact in tight. Must say i was so proud of him getting in tight and dirty LOL then realized it was his wife driving.....LOL LOL you keep doing that my friend you will get the results your looking for keep it up, good to see you....

Anyways back to fishing good luck out there

Wolf

Fished out of Pedder Bay for an hour and a half starting at 9:15 or so and only had one shaker. Moved over to Beachy Head for another hour or so and managed a couple more shakers before missing one good hit followed by landing 10 lber just after lunch. Called it a day after that.....View attachment 34496 Everything on spoons at 70'...
Loose a bit of meat there bud?

Yes fishing has been a bit slow but its July and it ALWAYS happens been managing 1 or 2 but far from "on fire" my 25 cents is still up for grabs
Today was trolling down the tact passing a fellow boat following the rules of the ocean right rod to shore letting this boat pass me on my port side, look over to see who it was to say hi !!!!!!!! AND THEN thats when I SAW it the elusive and rarely seen "ENGLISHMAN" !!!!!!!!!! and he was doing the shallow tact in tight. Must say i was so proud of him getting in tight and dirty LOL then realized it was his wife driving.....LOL LOL you keep doing that my friend you will get the results your looking for keep it up, good to see you....

Anyways back to fishing good luck out there

Wolf
Thanks Wolf. Very amusing. LOL:D Yes, my wife always drives as I am too old to do everything myself!! Hard enough handling two rods and watching depth as it is.
Yep we have fished in tight for the last three seasons with limited success. Yesterday was a bust as I already posted. Anyway I was glad to see you there as it meant I was not doing everything wrong. LOL;) However, I was surprised because I have not seen you on the water for a long time either, and I thought you and the other top guides always disappeared "out west" to some distant promised land!!

Trust me im out there you passed me a few times you didnt notice... .....im not a skinny man LOL LOL

Now as for that salmon you left almost a whole meal on that head kinda a waste.... for the amount we spend to get such great food

Fished Aldridge to Secretary from 7-2. Caught a 18# off the point at Trap Shack, 79 down, green glo anchovy. Lots of other strikes and shakers. No pinks.

Got a bit of a whale show on the outside. Dead calm....reminds me why I moved from the prairies.

Trust me im out there you passed me a few times you didnt notice... .....im not a skinny man LOL LOL

Now as for that salmon you left almost a whole meal on that head kinda a waste.... for the amount we spend to get such great food
Wolf, that was not me that posted that beheaded fish. Take a look at the posts.
I am very thankful for what we have here; more so than most, since a boy from the concrete jungle of SE London U.K. sees things here through very clear eyes, believe me!!

Trolled with the tide from Alderidge to secretary this morning and saw one or two nets out. Not a lot of action for all the boats I passed; so I moved off the Sooke harbour looking for pinks in 300 - 400'. Couldn't get a bite until I dropped down to 130' on the rigger.. picked up 3 pinks in less than an hour.

Out west today, caught a sockeye, had to throw it back, caught a nice big wild coho, had to throw that one back to..... That's it, oh and a pink that I lost at the boat.

No wasnt blaming you bud just commenting on it

A bit surprising there are so few pinks around so far...but shouldn't complain my bait supply is lasting better than most pink years so far. Hooked up into 3 springs today but only landed one and it wasn't one you would mount on a wall. Lots of weed in the water today...big rafts of floating eel grass early on that moved on with the ebb and then almost continuous sub surface lettuce that fouled the flasher and baits. I had the gear up and down cleaning more than any other day ths year by far. Beauty day though!

Rest assured, nothing goes to waste. What heads and collars don't make it into seafood chowder, will end up in crab traps.

I'm disheartened that people need to look for something negative to say when a guy tries to share information that he thinks might be beneficial to those that may be struggling out there or just less fortunate.

Last edited:
Better luck today! Change of tactics. Straight out front at the deep side of the drop off , but the fish were shallow. Two springs. 40' and 60'one on army truck and another one white. Another four good strikes, similar depth. Excuse the ragged fillets. My fillet table is currently a barnacle covered rock on the beach!IMG_3170.JPG

Not to hack on you there E but posts on fishing are awesome ,but have to say when you post a pic of such a beautiful fish be it only 10 lbs why waste any of it unusable stuff like fins and heads are great for a crab pot but seeing that picture "shows" not so great.
I see it all the time on fish cleaning tables wasted fish its VERY disheartening to see. ill tell anyone on here if you see me at dock and want your fish fileted or whatever ill be their to show you or help you to try and get the most out of what you have caught just come say hi. Ill have a beer with ya while we do it. over 25 years as a chef and more years guiding.
Now as for fishing yes been slow. lots of whales yesterday out there and not a lot of pink action like Rollie said kinda weird.
hopefully turns for better for the consultants derby...

It really is funny that Friday was a fish every 15 minutes (mostly little nuisance pinks) and on Monday I couldn't catch a cold in 5 hours of dragging gear.

Fished from 6:30-12:30 between Secretary and Beechy. Way too rough to go west. Tried everything. Spoons, hootchies, anchovies. Me and my buddy each hooked one after a couple of hours but lost them right away.

Just as we were turning around at Beechy to troll back and pack it in, my buddy boated a beauty, high teens, maybe 20. Anchovy.

Lots of hours for only one, but always great to be out there.

Lots of other boats out there for a Wednesday, and we didn't see any other fish caught.

Back