2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

So does every guy on here that says exactly what his fish weighed actually weigh his fish? For those of you that are guessing what do you base it on, length? For example the fish we caught today was 32 inches long and 21 inches around and neither of us could guess as to how much that should weigh. Any thoughts?

So does every guy on here that says exactly what his fish weighed actually weigh his fish? For those of you that are guessing what do you base it on, length? For example the fish we caught today was 32 inches long and 21 inches around and neither of us could guess as to how much that should weigh. Any thoughts?

21 x 21 = 441 x 32 =14112 divided by 750 makes it 18.8 lbs

I do not. I personally tend to understate the weights of my fish. I'm usually not over...if I am...it's by perhaps a pound.

A do have a scale and only weigh dead fish on occasion when I'm with newbies.

Most people tend to overstate the weight of their fish and I have seen many call 15-18's 20 pounders and 24-25 pounders 30 plus etc. And once they get to be a legit 35 they are called 45's. The worst are the guys in the Fraser Valley calling a deformed flabby 30 a 45 and a 40 a 50 and so on.

If it doesn't have a 27 to 27.5" girth....and usually 28" girth it won't go 40 lbs. girth is the largest determinant of a fishes weight.

So far I have yet to see a pic of a legit 22 pounder of Mouth of the Fraser in the last couple of weeks.

Many over estimate the weight of their fish by 20%. Weighing fish with your eyeballs is a skill....and many do not have it.

Fished the west van shore this pm. One hatch coho on a purple hootchie in 35' on the rigger. Kids tried jigging and casting spoons for pinks but no luck. On the way back, hit a nice chinook that was barely legal and went back in the water. 75' on the rigger with a Skinny G. Lots of bait balls and a gew were also boiling on the surface.

The coho was on the small side like the Cap spring run breed. We typically caught this size fish in late June - early July on previous years. I still think that the summer runs are a few weeks late and the summer chinook, pink and cohos will show up in numbers later this month.

Last edited:
We always weigh in our fish if we bring it on board to go in the cooler. After weighing your fish for years you get a good eye to just estimate them. Always a fun little game to see who guessed the closest actual weight with the wife and I

It's the standard formula all lodges and guides use. Girth squared times length divided by 750......800 up north where the fish are fatter

Derbies such as the Vancouver Chinook Classic catch and release derby use the commonly used, divide by 800 (girth x girth x length, divided by 800) and I agree with that particular calculation. From my experience comparing, that /800 calculation is amazingly accurate up to over tyee class. In my comparisons, dividing by 750 on the other hand gives you an exaggerated, heavier number ......so I should probably start using it ;)

Top one looks like a peahead, a strain of red chinook that returns to the Fraser. Bottom one looks like your run of the mill chinook.

Could be..... If RC checks the belly wall - peahead has thicker belly wall. (A taste test would also give away if one of those reds was a peahead! ....sooo sweet!)

Out last evening around the west van labs, lost 2 pinks again! tried the flats for coho but got only weeds. bites at 7 pm. 30' and 35'

Started at 7:30
Hole in the wall - nada
Lions Bay - nada
Furry Creek - lots of people on the beach - nada
South Boyer - weeds
Pt Atkinson - nada
Pink apartment - saw one net out, a few jumping and some bait - otherwise nada

Got a large pink about half a mile west of the Pink Apartments this afternoon. 35ft on the rigger with a small pink/white hootchie. Saw lots of other boats but no nets flying. Talked to two guys in a jet sled who had released an undersized chinook. Thinking about trying the T10 tomorrow...

Picked up an 18 lbs pea head, lost one bigger just over 20 literally was in the net and jumped out. Lost another mid teener at the net. A little out of practice and netting to quickly lol. Had 2 or 3other hits. Chovies did most of the damage but 2 hits on hootchies. Down south at 30 to 50 feet on the riggers. Nice to catch a salmon again

Back