2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

not much happened this morning at the QA. went out for a couple hours n' fished low tide... couple boats, didn't see any action.. some wind push..

Open water has been somewhat sporadic recently for Chinook. Structure or somewhat close to shore (within a mile or two) seems to produce better when we get into the dog days of summer.... the large tide swings probably send fish looking for some
Baitfish in backeddies not to mention that No a Chinooks are lazy when they are hungry with big tides....similarly elsewhere it puts the big fish into the Kelp. Cowan to Gower seems to be where most of the boats are grinding a fish or two out....too bad there's not more Kelp around to hold baitfish....

Went out for a few hours this afternoon and trolled the bell and into the harbour. No fish for me but did catch a crab trap. Was bouncing the ball in 60ft of water when my right rigger line started extending occasionally pulling out. Thought a stick had lodged on line as their were no bouys or anything in area. Slowed boat and brought rigger up and there was rope around ball. Hooked rope to cleat andCleared all my lines and pulled up rope. At the end was trap that didn't look like it had been down long. Obviously the float wasn't tied on correctly and the trap was resting on the sea floor. If anyone on here has lost a trap or had 1 'stolen' send me pm with description and I'll get it back to you.
Did get to have a wicked dinner with my pops at Milltown tho

Fished Cowan to Worlcombe Island today. Managed to get a feisty little 9 lber to the net before it spit the hook and was gone. Irish Creme @ 83'.
Only saw one other net out around Tunstal in the am.

reports of a hog this evening 28lb jigged up
from a certain rock which was pounded all day by boats. including myself with nothing to show
but well done .
and weather wind reports are again once a joke suppose to be blowing and increasing
yet its pancake flat?

The Orcas sure were working the strait hard today! Had a hook up with a nice one at Grande on a blood and bones hooch but came unbuttoned. Spent the rest of the day taking a friend to see the sights and he got to see his first Orcas nice and close up. Don't know why some fools have to drive their boats clearly in the middle of the whale pack spooking them off and ruining it for the whale sighting boats and others who patiently keep their distance from them with ethics in mind.

If you are on this forum and read this (guy in the 16' tin boat with a partner, with small bimini center console at Thrasher) please take this advise and keep from doing that in the future. The whale sight boat was pissed as so was I and the other boat. Continuing to follow them in the middle of the pack forcing them to dive and disappear is so obviously not the thing to do.

Last edited:
Went out for a few hours this afternoon and trolled the bell and into the harbour. No fish for me but did catch a crab trap. Was bouncing the ball in 60ft of water when my right rigger line started extending occasionally pulling out. Thought a stick had lodged on line as their were no bouys or anything in area. Slowed boat and brought rigger up and there was rope around ball. Hooked rope to cleat andCleared all my lines and pulled up rope. At the end was trap that didn't look like it had been down long. Obviously the float wasn't tied on correctly and the trap was resting on the sea floor. If anyone on here has lost a trap or had 1 'stolen' send me pm with description and I'll get it back to you.
Did get to have a wicked dinner with my pops at Milltown tho
The other day I caught a trap out there in 150' of water and dumped it in 80'. Did it belong to Albert?

Fished Cowan to RC yesterday 11-5pm. Landed a 12lb white at Cowan and lost another larger fish - both at 65 ft. Then lost 3 more decent size around RC later in the afternoon, all at 130 ft on anchovies. Lots of hits, just one of those days .....

The Orcas sure were working the strait hard today! Had a hook up with a nice one at Grande on a blood and bones hooch but came unbuttoned. Spent the rest of the day taking a friend to see the sights and he got to see his first Orcas nice and close up. Don't know why some fools have to drive their boats clearly in the middle of the whale pack spooking them off and ruining it for the whale sighting boats and others who patiently keep their distance from them with ethics in mind.

If you are on this forum and read this (guy in the 16' tin boat with a partner, with small bimini center console at Thrasher) please take this advise and keep from doing that in the future. The whale sight boat was pissed as so was I and the other boat. Continuing to follow them in the middle of the pack forcing them to dive and disappear is so obviously not the thing to do.

Not too mention it is clearly illegal. If you find yourself too close to whales you are supposed to turn off your engine and wait for them to leave. Ideally you shouldn't allow the whales to come closer than 100m to you

Been off the water for a couple weeks and off the forum for a month (Thanks Brian/Admin), but looking to tub a couple chromers this weekend.

Next to no skunks this year apart from a couple weeks ago and it has seemed quiet since. Here's hopin they are moving back into the local spots.

Edit: seems the light hearted humour about my ban wasn't taken well. I'm sorry if I offended you Brian. I deserved a month off before and my future postings will be all above board.
Please don't ban me again. I just got back and I feel at home again.

Last edited:
Been off the water for a couple weeks and off the forum for a month (Thanks Brian/Admin), but looking to tub a couple chromers this weekend.

Next to no skunks this year apart from a couple weeks ago and it has seemed quiet since. Here's hopin they are moving back into the local spots.

Edit: seems the light hearted humour about my ban wasn't taken well. I'm sorry if I offended you Brian. I deserved a month off before and my future postings will be all above board.
Please don't ban me again. I just got back and I feel at home again.

Welcome back and LOCK IT UP! Haha. Reports were slow Saturday. Seems like a wave moved in on Sunday. It shouldn't be too bad out there.

The other day I caught a trap out there in 150' of water and dumped it in 80'. Did it belong to Albert?
There was no float on it at all. I caught the hoop at the end of the rope where the float should of been

There was no float on it at all. I caught the hoop at the end of the rope where the float should of been
so someone in 80' is going to snag it top banana

no name/ no float ....finders keepers so why chuck it back in for it to cause grief to someone else ....?????

Yesterday we were enjoying watching the whales for awhile and then they were spooked off. We drove up the strait a ways in the direction they were heading. Stopped the boat, had some lunch and bobbed around waiting to see if they would appear again. My buddy has never seen whales out in nature. About a half hour later we were very fortunate as they decided to pop up right by us and almost went under my boat, veering off at the last second.

Here's one of the reasons why fishing has been a bit slower lately...the Orca's are hunting!

Last edited:
Back