2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Started at the Cap mouth yeaterday at 9:30. It was quite busy early on with a few guide boats and others trolling that area so we decided to stay aeay from the pack and trolled down to PA. We saw one boat landed a small coho by the fisheries building. tried chovies, spoons and hoochies at different depths. 3 doggies, 2 undersize chinooks (one was barely under) both on spoons and a couple of baby chinooks was all that we got for 6 hours of trolling. Got checked by the DFO around noon. All good. 2nd time checked this season by two different crews.

How else to allow farm fishing, when the runs are decimated then all those fish farms can't hurt them.

The Columbia river runs were saved by the first nations agreeing to NOT fish commercially, I mean, so much for food. AND the government actually hiring real scientists to make recommendations and listening to share holders. The come back took only 4 years.

Up here they are just a bunch of corrupt politicians taking kicks backs in the form of "political donations" or paid to talk at dinners. They don't listen to even their own scientists unless they give the correct answers.

If they can shut down the cod fishery and pay all those people not to fish, why not here?

I saw no less than 7 seiners on the river yesterday just driving across a bridge, didn't even have to look hard.
Make sure you ignore the fact that there have been hundreds of millions of dollars on rising huge numbers of hatchery salmon.

Just dogs for us yesterday at Sandheads, on Chinook gear at Chinook Depths

index.php

Was out at Sandheads later yesterday managed a 15 lbs and a 38 lbs

Nicely done!

Hit Sandheads from 7 am to 3 pm yesterday. Quite a bit of activity on the tail end of the morning flood - one pink, one solid hit that was gone before we could get to the rod, and saw a few nets out but looked like most were pinks (0r pinked size). Then slow and lots of shakers until 2 pm when we were about to pack it in and got two reds back to back. Both really bright, so they are still showing up. 12 and 13 lbs.

I am sure the highly educated folks at the DFO know a heck of a lot more about run predictions than I do......but after downgrading the pink run size again to below 4 million, which was partially due to the low numbers at the whonnock test fishery. The last 3 days have yielded 129, 147 and 159 pinks.

Just an observation.....anyways as for a report. Hit Sandheads today and brought home 2 whites. 55 and 63 ft on choices.

What exactly don't we all understand new member Mr. Brian McDermott? This is a reports thread! DFO has invoked management measures to reduce the impact of fishing on Pink stocks. That's what we need to know. Fish and retain according to regulations.

However, entertain us with a brief paragraph as to what we don't understand.... Some of us on this thread have more than 600 hours fishing time off the Fraser in July, August and September and have not caught 10 pinks all year. Think about that for 1 nanosecond! I have not seen a year this poor for Fraser Pinks EVER. Understand that report.

If you're going to be one of those freshwater whiners I recommend you stay on that thread or spend a few thousand and get out in the ocean on a boat and play hide and go seek with them and fish them down.....instead of standing On Rock waiting for one to swim by....and then then tell us what we don't understand.

By the way, don't be a troll and give us some bull we don't already know or say you have some magic bullet or clandestine fisheries management enlightenment about selective fishing and FN this and FN that and nets this and nets that. We don't need to hear it because we know ALL about it.

I have done better this year on the ebb tide this year ,last year I had more luck just before high slack and a bit after.

I have done better this year on the ebb tide this year ,last year I had more luck just before high slack and a bit after.

Interesting info, do you find that starts to shifts later in the year as the fish start to smell fresh river water and are closer to the surface?

M
Curious what everyone's opinion on fishing sandheads at low slack or on the ebb is?? Anyone have any luck. I've caught a lot of fish last month all on flood or flood slack but sometimes the timing just doesn't work. Might have to fish the ebb this weekend

Makes no fricking difference at all in my opinion. And they are not picky with bait type either.

Back