2017 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Wasn't sure what we would get in the inlet with all the commercial guys going at it so we decided to go down to Pill Saturday morning. Lots ( and I mean Lots) of shakers. Seemed like the biggest spoons were getting the smallest and the smaller spoons were getting the biggest. Nothing on any color of hoochie. Switched out all the gear to the smallest sand lance spoons and we ended getting our 8. 3 in the 8-10lb range and the rest smaller. Nice for the BBQ. The fish were all full of small bait. One had 3 fish in its mouth and their stomach stretched to the limit when we brought it in. 67 feet was the magic number.

Tubbed out near shore.
6 springs biggest went 32 bled out, avg was just over the 20lb. mark.
Small spoons. Almost all the boats are driving past awesome fishing. Bites arent as quick as Big bank, but the grade is alot better. Seems last couple nights rains has brought some Stamp fish in

What leader length are running your small spoons on?
Also, how small.....3 inch?

The Gong Show crew are heading to Bamtown for the upcoming long weekend.
I have not ever fished the area recreationally and last time as a gillnetter was in the 80's!
We waited too long for our usual place up in Kyoquot so now we are heading to new pastures.

Current plan is to launch at China Creek and head down the canal in the early morning on Friday.
We have moorage at Ostrom's and staying at a B&B close by.
Am I being overly optimistic that China Creek will have space to park the truck and trailer for the long weekend?

I know it has been covered, but I can't dig up the information on sea ice.
Is it best to get it in PA, China Creek or is there something/one reliable in Bam?

Looking to be fishing for 5 or 6 days, blue 24' Eaglecraft.
Hoping to see a few of the regular posters in this thread and put some boats and faces to the posts.
The next week at work is not going to be very productive!

Hey Gong...get your salt ice from Mills...Jerry has some of the best around and reasonably priced. He also processes fish, flash frozen in 2o minutes, great deal, awesome thick bags, fish will last two years.
I will be there as well from next Monday staying on the west side...Gray 2601 Striper...

How's the road into bamfield? Thinking of trailering my 16' aluminum in next week.
Just came back today from Poett Nook... Road is in pretty rough shape... But since you're going next week, "they" have time to fix it... In fact, it's too early to tell !!!

Heading into the Barkley sound/ broken group for the weekend, planning on fishing swale, Howard point, cree, and out front, don't want to make the trip offshore this trip. Does anybody have any recent reports ??

Thanks in advance
Bentley

I fished all these places last 3 days, came back yesterday... Fishing is very slow to say the least, not counting "shakers"... The fall run has not come into the Sound yet.... Some guys are catching nice ones, in the 20's, here and there, but they're mostly "lone wolf" ... I've heard of guys driving all the way to South Banks, coming back skunked... I'd say that most of the boats coming back are either skunked, or with one or two 10 pounders ... The cleaning stations are pretty much deserted... You can have a good time, if you have low expectation.. Sorry about the bad news, but it is what it is....

I fished all these places last 3 days, came back yesterday... Fishing is very slow to say the least, not counting "shakers"... The fall run has not come into the Sound yet.... Some guys are catching nice ones, in the 20's, here and there, but they're mostly "lone wolf" ... I've heard of guys driving all the way to South Banks, coming back skunked... I'd say that most of the boats coming back are either skunked, or with one or two 10 pounders ... The cleaning stations are pretty much deserted... You can have a good time, if you have low expectation.. Sorry about the bad news, but it is what it is....
Times like this call for hitting the ground fish , lots of Hali, Lings and Blackies around ...... I usually don't even count on the Salmon anymore, can ruin a trip if your pumped on catching just them ......... Good Luck and Go Get'em (good to get honest reports , thanks SZ)

Thanks for the reports and Pm's guys, looks like will be dragging my buddy's boat up, which is bigger and will get us off shore, thinking of launching at china creek, then running up the canal, into the sound, were will be staying for the wkend.

What would be the advantage of launching at China creek vs the public launch in the river with the free parking at the Ford dealership? Do they charge for parking? How is the launch there? Never had a problem launching in the river down town and using the free parking lot

What would be the advantage of launching at China creek vs the public launch in the river with the free parking at the Ford dealership? Do they charge for parking? How is the launch there? Never had a problem launching in the river down town and using the free parking lot

Think Clutesi on a minus tide can be a bit of a bear for bigger boats..hoping to see you up there this year!

Just came back from 3 days in Bamfield. Fishing was slow, but we did manage to pick up some decent fish inshore from #8-#17, all inshore. All from the well known spots. First light and on the tide change.

Cheers

Not many reports on here...

I'm heading out Monday-Thurs and will post some reports.

Staying on the west side and see you out there in our 17' campion. Will be on the dial and known as the "bangbus"

Back