2016 Sooke Reports

Fished pedder 6-9pm 2 hatch around 7 or 8 lb
Wife made me take them as our freezer is empty.

Football shaped fish....

First day back on the water in our boat in months due to mechanical issues. Going to hit the night bite again tomorrow

A little late report but was out Monday am and Tue pm. Monday took a 15 and a 30 around secretary and was off the water by 10. Fog was so thick I'm not sure how the other boats there made out. Had to try again Tue after that so hit the night bite. Had one on that peeled a bunch of line and lost before I could see it and kept a small one for dinner. Both were around 8-830 on that last pass until we pull lines so stayed out much later than expected. There are some hogs out there right now but nothing consistent yet.

Fished yesterday morning at Muir.
Lost one around 10lb early then nothing for a long time in close.
Decided to try a deep tack. Dropped gear to 140ft and had one on right away. Spit the hook by the boat. Was high twenties plus.
Few big ones around.

Tips

Went out this afternoon after a bunch of days off. It was nice to be fishing a nice hard flood and calm water. The sounder didn't look very good and the first hour was quiet so had kinds made up my mind it was going to be another long wait for maybe one hit. Then it turned on with one just over 20 pounds then a double picking up a 17 and loosing the other then finished off with a couple more around 15 pounds. Even tossed a pink. The fish were deeper around the 90 ft depth. Hopefully this continues fro awhile now.

Went out for the night bite with the wife.
She kept a #8 or so pounder

Lost a good pin popper..

I lost a real screamer. Will have to call it a long line release. Went for a solid dive and Took my prize teaser head with it !

Not bad for a couple hours on the water.

Launched out of Cheanuh at first light - Seemed extremely windy so the idea was to fish to Aldridge and turn around. Few shakers in the first couple hours. Missed a nice hit. Wind died down and headed out to the Trap. Seagulls taking chovies off the surface:mad:. Seen some bait and made some close passes near the trap in 100' of water. BAM - pin popper - NICE! 15 mins later 25lb hatch in the boat. Other boats noticed and we saw one real nice one get long released. seen some other nets out as well. Bought one pack of chovies and learned a lesson that 2 packs are better than one. We trolled spoons back to beecher and didn't see much action. We were happy with our efforts.

Fished muir from 0600 - 1030am. Got into 3 shakers and saw a a bunch of shakers caught around us. Was trolling bait all morning and decided to change it up and throw a hootchie down and it worked out. Got my dad into a nice 20lber. The meat was a marble white/red. There's some fish around but just have ro work for them.

Attachments

• 20160723_083017_resized_1.jpg
    20160723_083017_resized_1.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 63
Lime Ricky was back on the water today, headed back to the Trap Shack. Fishing by 6:45 ish. Parking Lot at Prestige had 10 cars taking up boat/trailer spaces.........

We got into a bite around 8:15, first one was a sockeye, second was a small coho, released it in the water. Decided to go with three rods after that. The third rod I went with no bananas spoon without a flasher 35 feet down, with about 15 feet of leed line, right behind the engine. 15 minutes later, Boom, fish on that third rod. 15 minutes later, fish on board. Another happy guest on Lime Ricky

3 hits, 1 on each rod, Joanne, chrome silver, all above 68 feet. Bite stopped for us at 9:30, off the water at 1:45.

Until Sunday

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    685 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Little late but tried to fish on Friday from Cheanuh but the winds were too strong, again, so we stuck it out in the bay around Aldridge. Set free a couple of wild coho, that was it.

7:30-noon around Otter and Muir this morning. Saw a few small ones caught, but nothing for us. Tons of boats in a long procession between Otter to Sherringham. Nice weather, calm water, so still a good day. We even tried the Hawkins Cheezie trick from the Tofino thread, but still no go...

Fished the Trap from 6:30-12:30, 1 small one, long release, and then a small coho, decided to troll to secretary at 12:30, dropped 1 line down to 127', picked up about a 5lb spring 1/2 way from trap to secretary. Didn't see much going on out there today. All three hits were on Joanne today. 55'- 77'-127'

Fished out front and Possession today. Slow for us and most people I think although a few big Chinook were caught farther west by the Radio reports. We did get an 11 lb Coho at Possession down 40 on anchovy which was not clipped and released in great shape. Unusual to see one that size this early. Have also heard of a nine lber and a mid teen Ho being caught in the recent past which again seems unusual this early. Ocean conditions must be good somewhere and one wonders where these early big Ho's are going to.
At least the crabbing was good. Checked our two traps on the way out and no keepers in one but the other had nine keepers so kept our limit of 8.

There is fish there to be had sometimes think outside the box ..... people can find out how ive been doing ... just like fishing look around................................

Fished out front and Possession today. Slow for us and most people I think although a few big Chinook were caught farther west by the Radio reports. We did get an 11 lb Coho at Possession down 40 on anchovy which was not clipped and released in great shape. Unusual to see one that size this early. Have also heard of a nine lber and a mid teen Ho being caught in the recent past which again seems unusual this early. Ocean conditions must be good somewhere and one wonders where these early big Ho's are going to.
At least the crabbing was good. Checked our two traps on the way out and no keepers in one but the other had nine keepers so kept our limit of 8.

Hey Rick. I was near you today it was slow in that area ....but there was large snap at around 1 out east off head when we headed in. About 6 or 8 fish did came in the 20's. Possibly there were more. There also was also one over 30. We were just in wrong place and honestly couldn't stay for other hour.

One thing just an observation lot of larger fish appear to be east this last week.

Caught this morning at the end of the flood, off Secretary/Possession on the good 'ol Coho killer. This fish and most of the others I saw today had teeth marks (probably seal) on them.

Attachments

• 16lb_July 24 2016.jpg
    16lb_July 24 2016.jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 100
Went out in the stiff breeze sat night and was rewarded with a 10# at the meat hole and released a couple in a short run wasn't too bad and maybe 3 boats from sec to head.

Out first light Sunday and had a hit an hour 6 7 8. Pretty good action 15# biggest and had a wild ho running well took it outta clip and went straight up from 50 feet to about 2 foot airborne. Little missile for sure. Good couple days hope it keeps improving.

Where is my 25 cents??!!!!!!! do you think there is a correlation of better tides and MORE people out fishing that the fishing would have stayed the same??? NOOOOOOOO
Everyone on here was ready to give up and surrender to the fish gods. 3 weeks ago when it was BAD tides and LOTS of wind.

Ill say it again fishing is HUGE to our community and for some to even suggest it should be closed needs their head examined especially when YOU dont even live here!!!!!

Back