2016 Port Renfrew Reports

There are still some cod and bass around, but not as many as a few weeks ago. Seemed to be less cod down by Camper than up around Walbran. Might be due to the Carmanah RCA, or it might have just been coincidence. You can buy bait at PRM, and probably other places in Renfrew as well if you do run out. I went thru about a tray per day fishing bait on 1 side.

I went out to renfew for my 2nd time this past weekend. I saw advTHXance out there trolling around! We got a nice 20# at walbran, then an 11 and 6 in the same area! Everyone was saying how slow it was along the beach over the radio. We were on the water by 6 and caught the first at 10, and the others soon after.
A guy fishing solo beside us by the waterfall got a 32.
Went out to the bank on sunday, picked up 5 chinook, the biggest being a 20, and a coho. No luck with hali!
Fun times fishing out there!

Renfrew is on fire, saw a total of 4 caught today, simply amazing, fish everywhere, bent rods all over the place, bait by the acres, best run in ten years come and get them while they are hot. Dont worry about depth, roll, bait size, color, they will hit anything...**** i am starting to sound like Ukee Charters on another thread

LOL I just saw this post HAHAHAHA what a d***head, I post photos of the good days and bad days. Sorry to hear Reny it letting you down LMFAO they will be there soon for you I'm sure, to funny.

What kind of boat were you on, PatyO? Had a few people come say hi at the dock and that they recognized my boat from this site. Hard to miss!

edit: Ill be up there again next weekend, looking for redemption. So feel free to say hi if you see me around!

i was in one of the million 17 double eagles that were out there lol.. actually in a 17 malibu tyee to be exact.

interesting to see the variety of boats out on the bank!

Reactions: JJs
LOL I just saw this post HAHAHAHA what a d***head, I post photos of the good days and bad days. Sorry to hear Reny it letting you down LMFAO they will be there soon for you I'm sure, to funny.
D***head, strong words there Ukee Dreamer. Renfrew as it is called is not letting me down, i am stating that it is the worst I have seen in my 30 years of fishing. Keep pimping your ride and good luck:p

I went out to renfew for my 2nd time this past weekend. I saw advTHXance out there trolling around! We got a nice 20# at walbran, then an 11 and 6 in the same area! Everyone was saying how slow it was along the beach over the radio. We were on the water by 6 and caught the first at 10, and the others soon after.
A guy fishing solo beside us by the waterfall got a 32.
Went out to the bank on sunday, picked up 5 chinook, the biggest being a 20, and a coho. No luck with hali!
Fun times fishing out there!

Hey Patty where were you targeting the hally? The guides have been pounding the NE corner so for your size of boat that is doable for you, always check the forecast as you don't want to get caught with your pants down out there. If you need info go down to the gateway marina and talk to the people on the docks, most will steer you in the right direction.

Hey Patty where were you targeting the hally? The guides have been pounding the NE corner so for your size of boat that is doable for you, always check the forecast as you don't want to get caught with your pants down out there. If you need info go down to the gateway marina and talk to the people on the docks, most will steer you in the right direction.
four boats anchored on the line at ne corner at 2-30 pm on sat when i went by,all within a few hundred yards of each others

I only have an 18 foot aluminum boat and I have fished the NE corner of Swiftsure lots with it. You just need to pick your day to go there. I never anchor and I've found that area pretty consistent for producing Hali on the drift. All the guides seem to anchor up right along the boundary. I've found the fishing to be better off the boundary line than right along it.

Ive had my 16' fiberform out to the NE corner, and even to the SW corner. It all depends on the sea and weather conditions, but with that said its not something to take lightly. Being that far from shore in any size boat has its risks. If you do go out to the banks, make sure you know the forecast, have all the safety gear, and monitor your VHF for weather and traffic info. Things can change quickly out there and youre an hour from shore in even the fastest boats.

Not sure if Gateway has gas but PRM does for sure.

Anybody in Renfrew tonight have a handle on what the weather is doing. We were planning to head to Renfrew in the morning but Environment Canada forecast doesn't look stellar for heading to the bank. I'm tempted to go anyways as the EC forecasts aren't always too accurate.

Thanks for any tips

Is anyone willing to share a little Intel on fishing swiftsure? We went up to the NE corner yesterday and trolled all around from the corner to the 170' bank that extends out of the closure. We couldn't entice a single hit other than cod. We weren't marking much on the sounder either. There wasn't any other boats there which makes me wonder....... we could see some boats on the other side of the bank and there were salmon coming into the dock. A little disappointing for us.

Oh well it was a gorgeous day on the water we all got lots of sun, a limit of lings and the crab traps were full.

Is anyone willing to share a little Intel on fishing swiftsure? We went up to the NE corner yesterday and trolled all around from the corner to the 170' bank that extends out of the closure. We couldn't entice a single hit other than cod. We weren't marking much on the sounder either. There wasn't any other boats there which makes me wonder....... we could see some boats on the other side of the bank and there were salmon coming into the dock. A little disappointing for us.

Oh well it was a gorgeous day on the water we all got lots of sun, a limit of lings and the crab traps were full.

First you will need a day like you had yesterday!!
Not fun in heavy swells and fog!
Then, you need to find the guide boats.
Sit out at Camper until you see one go by...they will be either on their way to Swiftsure or Hole in the Wall just north of Nitinat Lake
Good luck and remember what you saw yesterday is not always the case!

Thanks fogged in. I've fished offshore in Bamfield on snotty days. It can suck for sure. Yesterday was a treat. I'm not a real fan of the "sneaking in behind the guide boats" trick. I don't mind putting my time in and enjoy sniffing out the fish. I was just a little disappointed yesterday and wondered if I was doing something wrong there.

Thanks fogged in. I've fished offshore in Bamfield on snotty days. It can suck for sure. Yesterday was a treat. I'm not a real fan of the "sneaking in behind the guide boats" trick. I don't mind putting my time in and enjoy sniffing out the fish. I was just a little disappointed yesterday and wondered if I was doing something wrong there.

That's very commendable, not that there is anything wrong with following a guide boat.
You are no doubt an experienced fisherman and will find the fish!
The only time we have fished Swiftsure was near the buoy on the open side
we have caught halibut at 48 30.649 124 58.310
If the Beach is still dead Try Hole in the Wall for Springs
It should be coming on soon.
If there are fish there, you will see lots of guide boats.

Back from 2 days of fishing the bank. Hardly any swells or chop all weekend, made for an easy run out there both days. Hooked and released lots of "bank fish" and a few keepers between 10-16, nothing big for us but we did see some bigger fish caught.

Brian, the NE corner is for hali as far as I know. Troll the west edge of the closure for salmon. Just head west for an hour or two from Renfrew and stop when you find the 40 aluminium boats!;) Its right in the shipping lanes though so keep your eyes and ears peeled.

Back