2016 Bamfield Tuna Shootout

Made it out of Ukee today. Two boats in or group. Set a course for 95miles but found some jumpers around 70. Fished there for the rest of the day going 8 for 12 on the MaxFish boat and 5 on West Edge. Great sea conditions averaged 30mph on the way home. We caught all our fish in a matter of a couple hours. Long ways to go but worth the run. Headed out again thurs and Friday.

Nice to see some good fish coming in! hope the seas cooperated for the rest of the derby. Good luck to all and hope to see some more pics soon.

Slower fishing out there today but one boat claims to be holding a new top aggregate. We will see at the weigh in tomorrow morning. Stay tuned

Nice haul today with calm waters and good action. Ended up with 23 in the boat. Took a couple hours to get going but once they started biting it was all hands on deck. 85 miles off Ukee.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1474005372033.jpg
    FB_IMG_1474005372033.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 146
Jesus it's getting to be a long run. Good on you guys for getting it done. Stay safe out there guys.

Couple days late...but our day on tues:

one for the books! -
off dock at 7pm - drive on plane until dark - set auto pilot for 85 miles out and slow to 10mph...take turns on watch/sleeping. I say up til 230am
Don sez he will wake me at 5am to set sea anchor.
wake up at 630 am - 5miles past waypoint, boat going 3 mph (we both snoring...oops)
Anyway fish 10 min later - single
30 min later double...
hr later... single...but the commy boat half mile away does a crazy ivan 180 turn...we figure he hit a school so beeline his track... double! circle around double! circl around single...circle again ..nada...nada move on...
1hr later triple!
and so on... small schools all over the place - no major spot but steady all day until the end...
5 banger ! double, double, single, double!
we plugged dons floor boxes and put 5 in my kill bag until we ran low on ice..
total tally unknown - we both lost count
430pm and 90 miles from Beale - dons leg is hurtin...my arms are rags..
so he is beat -- im beat...time to go home!
Beauty day - nice water, not a cloud in sky...26-27 mph on auto pilot, im on 3rd whisky 2 hrs later WHEN....
BEEEEEEP
auto shuts off, port engine dies...dash lights up w alarms.
54 miles from beale - Mercury ******* fancy butt computeriized steering /auto pilot/ engine control goes fuknuts.
Reduced power to 3000 rpm...***...sigh...oh well get home inna dark... 10mph again.... 30 min later....BEEEEEEEP
no Auto pilot....*** ***....manual steer in dark...still 45 miles from Beale...oh well....
10 min later BEEEEEp BEEEEEp BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP
no steering At ALL - wheel goes dead, just spins... reset batteries...shut down and restart motors 3x... one motor goes mental and goes hard over to port...now we cant even go straight --- #@#$=÷!!! mercury!!!
finally get both motor parallel but never recover auto or steering control... 45 miles from beale 11pm now.
steer boat by adjust each throttle ever 30 secs...sorta works... gps sez 2 am to beale....sigh....
get to shipping lanes... radar now goes crazy! ships inbound and outbound and we hafta cross w no steering and max speed of 9mph
NO LIKEE - lemme out! whiskey feeling is all gone now...
try calling Coast Guard on sat phone - CND coast guard doesnt stinkin answer! VOICEMAIL??? Steve harper you mutha bleepin budget cutter rat pumper!
call US cOAST gUARD ON CH 16 RADIO...
God Bless USA i guess - they check in w us every 30 mins and relay our status to Prince Rupert CG
Back to dons dock at 520 am and his digital fuel gauge reads...wait for it...
exactly 0.00 Litres ! for last 3 miles

Oh...our fish count was 35...tallyed weds am.
Checking trail on plotter showed prob too.

But when we turned to follow commercial boat, we ended up over the border after that.
So no weigh in...sigh
4 fish woulda been 88 by Dons scales

one for the books! -
off dock at 7pm - drive on plane until dark - set auto pilot for 85 miles out and slow to 10mph...take turns on watch/sleeping. I say up til 230am
wake up at 630 am - 5miles past waypoint, boat going 3 mph (we both snoring...oops)
30 min later double...
hr later... single...but the commy boat half mile away does a crazy ivan 180 turn...we figure he hit a school so beeline his track... double! circle around double! circl around single...circle again ..nada...nada move on...
1hr later triple!
and so on... small schools all over the place - no major spot but steady all day until the end...
Beauty day - nice water, not a cloud in sky...26-27 mph on auto pilot, im on 3rd whisky 2 hrs later WHEN....
BEEEEEEP
54 miles from beale - Mercury ******* fancy butt computeriized steering /auto pilot/ engine control goes fuknuts.
Reduced power to 3000 rpm...***...sigh...oh well get home inna dark... 10mph again.... 30 min later....BEEEEEEEP
no Auto pilot....*** ***....manual steer in dark...still 45 miles from Beale...oh well....
no steering At ALL - wheel goes dead, just spins... reset batteries...shut down and restart motors 3x... one motor goes mental and goes hard over to port...now we cant even go straight --- #@#$=÷!!! mercury!!!
finally get both motor parallel but never recover auto or steering control... 45 miles from beale 11pm now.
steer boat by adjust each throttle ever 30 secs...sorta works... gps sez 2 am to beale....sigh....
get to shipping lanes... radar now goes crazy! ships inbound and outbound and we hafta cross w no steering and max speed of 9mph
try calling Coast Guard on sat phone - CND coast guard doesnt stinkin answer! VOICEMAIL??? Steve harper you mutha bleepin budget cutter rat pumper!
God Bless USA i guess - they check in w us every 30 mins and relay our status to Prince Rupert CG

GREAT report Tykkyt
Life is an adventure and fishing even more so!
Love to hear stories like yours with happy ending!
Ever figure out what was causing all the grief?

one for the books! -
30 min later double...
1hr later triple!
BEEEEEEP
Still trying to figure out if I am disappointed I missed that adventure or happy I left on Sunday........ nah I decided:

I am REALLY disappointed I missed that adventure.

Back