2015 Campbell River Reports

A near 50lb spring was taken today in the Stuart island area! By a female guide.
Will provide more details as I get them.

If you plan on fishing the "hump" for the first time. bring a 1/2 dozen extra 15 lb cannon balls and 4 or 5 extra cables for your down riggers. Be prepared to lose lots of gear and being frustrated for many hours. The currents will drive you crazy. Green can is an easier location and you should be okay.

I would suggest trailering to Browns Bay to launch, if you are going to fish north of the narrows. Weather and winds will dictate your fishing location. Lots of Pinks north as well as some Chinook and Coho.

Tides are the key to fishing CR area. Good Luck and be safe.

Agreed to a point. Fish the current more than the tide. Target the end of the ebb early morning, and head north. Fish one rod if you are a newbie. Don't feel shame. I do it all the time, and I am a local. On that tide, run North, pull your gear, head south and set up again. Repeat. Flood on the hump is tricky. The opposing undercurrent close to the lighthouse likes to make cornrows out of your gear and you don't even know till you think you have a fish on, which actually ends up being your other downrigger line. And occasionally there will be a fish for your troubles!

My 11 year old is excited to catch a Pink. When we were out last he caught a small Coho and small Chinook. Do you guys know if the Pinks run in the Oyster River? If so I'm assuming that they will be staging somewhere in that area right? Thank you very much for the info on the Hump...sounds a little to dicey for a newcomer.

Another question, on the fisheries map is shows Mitlenatch Island as a Rockfish Sanctuary does that mean that it is closed to angling completely? The regs can be pretty confusing compared to where I fish (freshwater).

No fishing in RCAs crab or prawn traps only
Not sure why you're being told to fish north of the narrows.
The hump/red can isnt that hard to fish, never lost a ball or broken a cable and I was a newbie last year 15+ ball for sure and when you see the tide rips coming on the flood tide (runs SE through Discovery Passage) move out deeper or over towards the green can as said they will twist your gear up something fierce.
Usually have 200 ft out on the rigger but 220 was non stop the other day kinda in between the red and green can. 2 chinooks and 5 coho in an hour.

Ps tell your son a nice coho is way more fun than a pink.

My 11 year old is excited to catch a Pink. When we were out last he caught a small Coho and small Chinook. Do you guys know if the Pinks run in the Oyster River? If so I'm assuming that they will be staging somewhere in that area right? Thank you very much for the info on the Hump...sounds a little to dicey for a newcomer.

Another question, on the fisheries map is shows Mitlenatch Island as a Rockfish Sanctuary does that mean that it is closed to angling completely? The regs can be pretty confusing compared to where I fish (freshwater).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fished the hump yesterday at 6am at the end of the ebb. 220 feet michael jackson hoochie landed a 10lb spring and had another break off at the boat. Then to green can. Lots of pinks, released a nice wild coho and lost a big spring that was ripping lots of line.

Fished the green can last night. Landed 4 springs and lost another that was peeling line nicely. Michael Jackson and Blue Meanie Hootchies at 120-140 feet. There was a lot of bait and my rods were dancing all night. My depth sounder never read the bottom all night. It worked fine cruising over there and cruising back. I tried resetting it several times but it never read properly. I assume it was because there was so much bait. Did anyone else have that problem ?

Couple hours at the hump yesterday. Caught and released a 8-9lb chinook and drifted into a tide rip that tangled my second line. While handlining it in a pink hit it and and I brought it in without rod or reel. At least I think it was a pink it didnt do much till it got to the boat and I just shook it off.

PS If you see someone fighting a fish by themselves give them a little room if you can. It can be a lot to handle sometimes, reeling,steering,controlling speed,clearing other gear(sometimes),netting,dealing with wind or currents. Thanks in advance!

Fished the green can last night. Landed 4 springs and lost another that was peeling line nicely. Michael Jackson and Blue Meanie Hootchies at 120-140 feet. There was a lot of bait and my rods were dancing all night. My depth sounder never read the bottom all night. It worked fine cruising over there and cruising back. I tried resetting it several times but it never read properly. I assume it was because there was so much bait. Did anyone else have that problem ?

I had the exact same problem 2 days ago at the green can in about 250 feet of water and deeper. Sounder wouldn't work most of the time. I reset it abunch and checked my transducer. Couldnt figure out what the problem was. It worked fine at the hump and everywhere else.

Gearbox Paul:-

I have had that happen where I fish (last time out actually and not Campbell River).

My finder is on "set and forget' basically.....(but still manual not auto).

For some reason it will sometimes change settings by itself now and again. last time it turned out my "sensitivity" was 100% and it had gone into "auto" mode.

I put the sensitivity back to 85% and put it back on "manual" from auto. It was fine after that.

I disconnect my battery entirely between trips ......maybe that does something to it...dunno....

Gearbox Paul:-

I have had that happen where I fish (last time out actually and not Campbell River).

My finder is on "set and forget' basically.....(but still manual not auto).

For some reason it will sometimes change settings by itself now and again. last time it turned out my "sensitivity" was 100% and it had gone into "auto" mode.

I put the sensitivity back to 85% and put it back on "manual" from auto. It was fine after that.

I disconnect my battery entirely between trips ......maybe that does something to it...dunno....

Thanks Seafever. I'll try that next time it happens.

What a day! Absolutely non stop at the hump. Multiple double headers, could barely keep two rods in the water. Army truck hoochie was un stoppable but glo white was pretty good too. Lots of bait on the screen. Wasgoing out for a couple hours ended staying for 6. The bite just didnt end. 200-230ft on the rigger.

What a day! Absolutely non stop at the hump. Multiple double headers, could barely keep two rods in the water. Army truck hoochie was un stoppable but glo white was pretty good too. Lots of bait on the screen. Wasgoing out for a couple hours ended staying for 6. The bite just didnt end. 200-230ft on the rigger.

Where abouts is the "hump"?
My 12 yr old son is really wanting to catch something big, we have going to Port Alberni the last 3 weekends in a row and have limited out every time, but would love to catch a nice size chinook, a fish that he actually has to play and be patient with. Any ideas where and when the bigger fish come through. Thanks for your time.

Back