2015 Campbell River Reports

Still need a fishing buddy- I am at powell river but moving back toCR shortly - Regards from Waterboy. This is supposed to be a message for Capt. Crunch

You click on their username....

It will show an envelope icon that says p.m. messages beside it.....

click that on and then type up your message and send it......

Doesn't anybody use this anymore? Not much in the way of reports?? I unexpectedly got today off. Heading out after some bacon and coffee.

Goodluck , hopefully less windy up there then yesterday... Make sure to post a report [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 coho in 15 minutes and not a nibble the other 4 hrs. Didnt see any other fish played or any nets out. Sorry no pictures. Catch and release day, my freezers full.

Went out jigging last night at Francisco most boats were at the green can. Hooked 3 lost 2 at the boat landed one 20 lbs and released a few undersized springs. Lots of birds and bait.

Hey guys,

I'm heading to the area this weekend and will be staying at Pacific Playgrounds. I've only been out there one other time fishing and fished Sentry Shoals and Kitty Coleman. I see on my Navionics Maps that there is a Green Icon on the southeast side of Quadra Island kind of on the tip of Wilby Shoals. Is that the green can that everyone is referring too? I also see a lot of guys refer to 'The Hump' but don't see anything really on the maps to go by...any help with where to fish would be awesome. Is it even worth trying for Halibut anywhere in the Strait? I've heard that the only people catching Hally's are on the west coast. I hear that around Mitlenatch there is good fishing...

I may have room in my boat next Thursday or Friday if someone wants to join me that knows the area. (All depends if my buddy can stay the whole week or not). I have a 19' Tracker with electric downriggers and good electronics.

Oh and on another matter, do any of you use the sidescan feature to find bait? I have had minimal success for it in freshwater lakes but am hoping that it could pick up schools of herring. I'm super excited to dip my boat in the salt water for the first time :)

Thanks,

Curtis

Hey guys,

I'm heading to the area this weekend and will be staying at Pacific Playgrounds. I've only been out there one other time fishing and fished Sentry Shoals and Kitty Coleman. I see on my Navionics Maps that there is a Green Icon on the southeast side of Quadra Island kind of on the tip of Wilby Shoals. Is that the green can that everyone is referring too? I also see a lot of guys refer to 'The Hump' but don't see anything really on the maps to go by...any help with where to fish would be awesome. Is it even worth trying for Halibut anywhere in the Strait? I've heard that the only people catching Hally's are on the west coast. I hear that around Mitlenatch there is good fishing...

I may have room in my boat next Thursday or Friday if someone wants to join me that knows the area. (All depends if my buddy can stay the whole week or not). I have a 19' Tracker with electric downriggers and good electronics.

Oh and on another matter, do any of you use the sidescan feature to find bait? I have had minimal success for it in freshwater lakes but am hoping that it could pick up schools of herring. I'm super excited to dip my boat in the salt water for the first time :)

Thanks,

Curtis

If you don't mind making the trip and don't know the area at all I would make the trip through Seymour narrows. You can fish right there to your right once you cross the narrows in plumper and deep water bay. The hump is off the south point of quadra.

Hey guys,

Thanks,

Curtis

Yup you are looking at the right "green Can" the hump is basically west of that. You will see a lot of boats fishing these areas.
I would recommend using at least 15lb cannon balls, as the tide rips through the hump.
Deepwater and plumber bay are also good options but are a fair distance from pacific playgrounds, and best to go through the narrows during slack tide
Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you plan on fishing the "hump" for the first time. bring a 1/2 dozen extra 15 lb cannon balls and 4 or 5 extra cables for your down riggers. Be prepared to lose lots of gear and being frustrated for many hours. The currents will drive you crazy. Green can is an easier location and you should be okay.

I would suggest trailering to Browns Bay to launch, if you are going to fish north of the narrows. Weather and winds will dictate your fishing location. Lots of Pinks north as well as some Chinook and Coho.

Tides are the key to fishing CR area. Good Luck and be safe.

Back