2013 Summer Port Renfrew & Swiftsure Reports

Best with mid to high tide, and the road down to the marina is a little steep and gravel surface. I had to use 4x4 to get back up. I did see a aluminum launch when it was pretty low.

Great marina for moorage but not much room for error at the launch. I did it once and that was enough for me.

Swells can come right in there it's wild to watch the docks move. They were in when we launched which might be why it seemed so sketchy.

What has been in the guts of the chinooks coming in from the beach?

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished the banks today. Wild getting out. Big swells. Slower than I expected. I small king, a bunch of wild coho, and even a big pink. Tomorrow, I'll try more locally.

Sometimes king salmon pass through Canadian waters, but it's not a problem. ;)

Fished the shoreline north from the outlet with very little success. Cop car coyote spoons were the hottest lure. In our group of three boats only one chinook (22#) was caught. Still lots of wild coho. Nice day on the water.

Swiftsure success

A bit bumpy making it out today in 20' trophy but once their we were rewarded handsomely. Limit on chinook (8 total for the four of us) in under 2 hours. Not big with the largest weighing in at 14. Coming back was easier with a full fish box!

Once back we were joined by my son who chose to miss the morning action. Caught 18 and 9 pound chinook at east point. All were caught on cop car spoons with the best action on the one with a small black squid attached just on the hook.

Home tomorrow.

Just back from 4 days at Renfrew. Tuesday and Wednesday we were at Swiftsure:not too much different in terms of fishing--teener spring limits were quickly caught on spoons and then halibut limits as well. Wednesday was lumpy and we had 1 crew member who was green so we only stayed to get the springs before heading back to the barn. Thursday we went west to catch some ground fish by Carmanah and Friday morning we went out after coho in the deep to round out our possession limit. The beach was generally spotty for springs although there was a couple of American guys who came in from East Point at about 11 AM on Friday with 4 teener springs caught in tight. The radar got a workout every day but it was a great trip all in all.
T2

I was the "American guy" Tsquared. :)

We were at east point fishing 70 to 120 foot deep water with dr at 52 and 62. Cop car with mini squid again (no flasher), but the best action was on a green ace-hi fly 26" behind an 8" chartreuse flasher. Four chinook in the teens and 6 clipped coho. Would have loved to stay but had ferry reservations!

Thanks to handsome Dan and his nice cottages. Had a great trip.

Just came back to the cabin after the prizes after the Davey Derby. Another great weekend and a GREAT event all around! Lots of great prizes and donations and a big thanks to all the organizers. We fished just the mornings the last three days and it was a bit spotty. I fished with my wife the first day till about ten and we got 3 Springs between 16 and 21lbs. The next morning I took my dad out and we caught 2 Springs.......one about 18 and the other was 29lbs and was good enough for 7th place. I now have a new GoPro for the boat......thanks dad! lol We gave it another go this morning till about 9:30 but no Springs just lots of Coho. Fishing looks like its good at the bank right now and plan on a few days out there starting on Tuesday with some good tides coming. Crabbing was slow for us but still managed more than enough for some around the fire each night. Cheers!

I was also in the Davey Derby.

Fishing was spotty at best for our boat but dead slow most of the weekend really. Renfrew is a cool place to fish but the chinooks there elude me. Lots of boats did well we caught an 18 and a 25 so not terrible but we fished 3 long days.

Hooked into one of them right here... The picture doesn't do justice to how close to the rocks we came. View attachment 8275

Careful of the sandbar guys its been talked about on here and it's still out there keeping the prop shops busy. Only took a few minutes at the marina to talk to a guy who has hit it and there were more casualties over the weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
that sand bar ate my prop on sunday ,racing in to catch the Davey Derby final weigh-in on sunday at noon!luckly I was going slow,so no leg damage,I think there is less water there than in the river!!!

Back