2013 Summer Port Renfrew & Swiftsure Reports

Fished the Davey Derby Friday and Saturday with limited success no biggies picked up 6 springs they ranged from 14 to 21 lbs. Trolled Camper and Logan between 50 and 55 ft with anchovy and a new prototype flasher from Delta tackle called the Maddie which I hope is on the market soon. Coming in Saturday early with our limit at 1130 am and a very low tide was to far out from the rocks at the entrance to the river and found the sandbar that we were all warned about, bending the prop finishing our derby early. Great turnout and great prizes to be had, hats off to Audie and all the volunteers pulling this derby together to make it such a great event and fundraiser.

Fished the Ranch area today with friends from out of town. Good water on the way out and even better on the way in....awesome actually. We had our limit of Springs early using hootchies and then managed a few clipped coho. Had a few snags while trying for Hali so we gave up and ran in by noon. Crabbing seems to have picked up again with a lot less traps out there right now....or so it seems? Heading back to the bank in the AM and hoping for a similar day only with our halibut this time! Lol. Cheers!

Awesome day on the bank for us. Limits of springs, halibut, and coho by 11am. Kept hitting low teen springs while coho fishing @40ft.
Lots of coho off carmanah now too

X2 nedarb2........better average size for the Springs and the water was even flatter than the day before!

Fished East Point this morning for a couple of hours in the rain and fog. Released two teener Springs and lost a big fish that broke me off. Crab Pots were full and I caught the largest crab I have ever seen! It was huge! Lol

Fishing was great out in Port Renfrew, the big swells kept us off the hotspots at Swiftsure bank lately, but we did manage a boatload of fish closer to shore.

Way to go RJ on your first Salmon and Halibut fishing adventure, we hooked up with Chinook Salmon up to 28 lbs and halibut up to 38 out of Port Renfrew B.C.

Spoons, and hootchies were the ticket for salmon, and the halibut could not resist fresh salmon bellies. The time is now to head out for some of the finest fishing on Vancouver Island, here in Port Renfrew B.C.

Attachments

• 1003030_348271148637244_283559027_n.jpg
    1003030_348271148637244_283559027_n.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 727
Last edited by a moderator:
I fished the American side of swiftsure today. We landed 4 medium/small springs of around 10 lbs each. Fished pearlescent Tomic plugs at about 230' deep. Yesterday I fished Bluedot. There we did better and landed two springs that both weighed in at 22lbs and another thar weighed around 10.

The beach was really good this morning. I got sealed first thing and lost the fish.....flasher and teaser to it about two feet from the net! Lol picked up two more 20ish fish within half an hour of the first one. I even picked up a small Hali to boot after the first fish. Great morning trip all in all.

I fished the American side of swiftsure today. We landed 4 medium/small springs of around 10 lbs each. Fished pearlescent Tomic plugs at about 230' deep. Yesterday I fished Bluedot. There we did better and landed two springs that both weighed in at 22lbs and another thar weighed around 10.

The Blue Dot? Wow, that's a heck of a run, how was the swell out there?

The Blue Dot? Wow, that's a heck of a run, how was the swell out there?

On Saturday it was great (American Blue dot - about 40 miles out of Neah Bay). Maybe 2-3' at about 9s with hardly any wind. It was like a lake. I was thinking about making a run out another 15-20 miles to check the water temps since we haven't gotten any good images for a week or so but after I threw back a 10-12 lb fish in the hopes of getting another 20+, I was cursed and couldn't get that last decent salmon. So at 5PM we called it quits and took a 5-6lb coho to fill out our limit. I hadn't been to Blue Dot for several years so I needed to make a visit. I had one magical day out there about 6-7 years ago when the fishing was completely insane for large coho and every now I get an itch to see if I can get another day like that. That day, I caught 15 fish (mostly wild and released) before I could ever get the first line clipped to the down rigger. Just a flasher/hootchie on the surface for 5-10s and it was fish on. I haven't had a day like that since.

Gotta take the fly rods out there when its like that! I could spend days out there with just fly rods!

-KK

Yep - the fly rod is in the boat for just such a day. I've caught a few on the troll on a fly rod but never have had a day like that one at Blue Dot where it would have been possible to catch as many as I want by drifting and casting to them.

Sounds like I'm going to need patience next year and hold off by a couple weeks for when they're along the beach and closer in.

Making our way up to renny. Missed the 5:15 am sail. Last year there was us and two other fish rigs and about four cars. Next time we ll be making a reso. Any recent reports.....camping in the marina with bud and Rex , always a good time. Foggy in tsawassen, pretty thick

its bad this year, you need to really hug the rocks on the way out, like uncomfortably close and you'll be ok. 3ish' tide min. Just follow other boats out, dont be the leader!

Back