2013 Summer Port Renfrew & Swiftsure Reports

It was also flat calm and a huge low tide.We were with the all the boats about 40 of them.We did NOT cross the line.It was a great day:)

I'm flying out for a week on Tuesday so my prediction is that is will heat up on Wednesday........I hope! lol

I heard that a few fish were caught in the Logan/Walbran area on the weekend from a few regulars out there. It might be a week or two before it gets more steady along the regular beach spots if its at all like last year......just my thoughts though? I'm going to out for most of July and August so I hope to have LOTS of first hand reports! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got back from week in Renfrew. Fished 4 mornings.
Bank was good the one time we went for Hali and small springs and coho.
Slow mornings on the beach but still a fish here and there if you put the time in.
Afternoon bite was good on tide change. East point was good early morning.
Crabbing was weak for keepers but tons of undersized and females.

Sand bar is bad at low tide but avoid dead low tide and stay close to rocks and no issues.

Weather was good.

Tips

Can someone please take the big seal at East Point home with them. Lost a nice one today, I know that I am not the only one... :-(

Tips, Thanks for the report. I'm heading there on Tuesday for a week for my first time. What size boat were you running? What was the reason for only the one day on the bank? Too rough or far?

Thanks!

Just got back from week in Renfrew. Fished 4 mornings.
Bank was good the one time we went for Hali and small springs and coho.
Slow mornings on the beach but still a fish here and there if you put the time in.
Afternoon bite was good on tide change. East point was good early morning.
Crabbing was weak for keepers but tons of undersized and females.

Sand bar is bad at low tide but avoid dead low tide and stay close to rocks and no issues.

Weather was good.

Tips

Can someone please take the big seal at East Point home with them. Lost a nice one today, I know that I am not the only one... :-(

Maybe the same ******* stole mine just before camper never even saw him coming until it was too late

Was out today and saw a couple following my boat. Looked like a mom teaching her Lil one the tricks. Fooled them, I didn't catch any fish...lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
No other reports from the weekend??? Flying out in the AM.......hopefully it is picking up a bit? lol

Fishtank......I probably won't be there until the next day. But I'll definitely be around a lot after that. See ya out there!

Yes things are picking up. More fish on beach, Camper etc. lots of coho and the pinks are moving in. Tough to keep bait on for springs. But yes it is picking up.

Yes things are picking up. More fish on beach, Camper etc. lots of coho and the pinks are moving in. Tough to keep bait on for springs. But yes it is picking up.

great to hear that,,thanks,,hows the crabbing in the bay,,are the commies still out there screwing things up?

When I was up last week it was 20 crabs per trap. 19 undersize/ female and 1 keeper. We gave up as it was too much work and too much bait. Tons of traps out.

First time for my family and I today fishing Port Renfrew. Dropped a crab trap on the way out. Fished from about 8:30 am to 2 pm from the point through Camper Bay and north then back. Kept catching rockfish and ling cod on both the anchovy and flasher/hootchie lines even up to 20' on the downrigger and even picked up the speed and were still getting them. No salmon for us today but saw some other boats getting a few. The crab trap had two keepers. First time for us on the open waters so quite the experience with the swells and daughter was sick most the trip.

Back