2013 Summer Port Renfrew & Swiftsure Reports

Isn't a lot to rent that i know of with moorage. Could try Trailhead lodge, they have cabins and I believe moorage.. That is all I can think of with moorage. They might have other ideas. Sorry that I can't help you more, good luck.

Thanks for that. I looked them up. The place looks very nice, but a little out of our price range though for a group of 14. It looks more like the sort of place the wife and I would go without the kids.

Gallaughers Fish Camp is a friendly, comfortable stay...lot's of information and support...group fire site with firewood...crab cook out equipment...great place.

I have noticed, lol. Been fishing it hard. Am not going to try the banks on my own. A few hits today, and saw a few fish caught, but yes slow.

Heading to renfrew tomorrow morning any been fishing there in the last two days?as for checking the weather forecast I've been told to check bigwave Dave and compare Gordon's beach and tofino, Iam I wrong?anyways I will report tomorrow night.

Is there a launch ramp at Gaullaughers? Where do u get fuel? What is it like heading out through the river at low tide?
Thanks
Stosh

Gallaughers is a good spot and Bob is a great guy and is involved in many conservation efforts. There is no launch there however but you can tie your boat up there which is nice too. However if you keep your boat there you also have to contend with making the turn out of the channel at Gallaughers which usually is even shallower than the main channel in the river.......which can be enough of a pain depending on the tides. You can launch at get fuel at the Port Renfrew Marina which is in the river again or at Pacific Gateway Marina which is in the bay and no tides to worry about. There is also a gravel launch on the Reserve in the river below the shallow part of the river but there is no dock there so you have to be willing to beach your boat to use it? As far as getting out at low tide it changes slightly from year to year but the Marina or Bob would tell you the lowest possible tide to get down the river. Best to probably follow someone out the first time to know where the main channel is as there are a few spots to watch for at lower water. If you do use the Pacific Gateway Marina there are lots of other places to rent on that side of the bay and camping on the beach is good as well.....cheers! How about a current report boys?

Last edited by a moderator:
Saturday was a waist of time on the beach. fished 0430-6pm and tons of bait but no fish anywhere, we heard of 9 fish caught all day. Today the beach sounded a bit better with fish to 32lbs coming in.
Saturday was great on the bank for hali and springs with some coho showing up now. Sunday was even better. new waves of fish look like their JUST starting to arrive daily and moving into the summer spots.

I fished camper on Friday with no success saw 2 or 3 get caught no keeper craps in both pots,then my throttle cables broke when I was docking so I had to bring the boat back to Vic instead of leaving it up there for the season

Went thru the other day at high tide, did not see anything, but have heard that there have been a few problems at the mouth. I tend to stay close to the bluff side, not sure where the problem is. The only thing I heard though was that last week when the swells and winds were going it was heck to get out of the river.

Hi, new to the site, I have had my Boat in the river for a few years. The sand bar has shifted and is extends beyond the mouth of river, stay close to the bluff and make sure you time the waves correctly on anything lower than about 4 feet, if you have any sort of draft you will hit bottom. We fished Monday and Tuesday this week, on shore was very slow, the Bank was much better than it has been, lots of Springs in the teens and low twenties. Depth was pretty much any where, we were catching them in as little as 30 feet. Lots of smaller Coho around now Halibut limits were no problem drifting.

Hi,guys,i will be going to swiftsure bank some time next week,i need the know where i can get all the info,i don't want to fish were i am not supposte to fish,can somebody help me out?

Canadian Swiftsure closure Put these into your chart plotter and stay out

NW corner
48 34.000' N
125 06.000' W
SW Corner
48 29.550' N
124 56.200' W
SE Corner
48 29.620' N
124 43.400' W
NE Corner
48 34.000' N
124 54.200' W

:rolleyes: NICE TO SEE SOMEONE CATCHING SOME NICE FISH.....WAY TO GO straightup !!!!!

Back