2013 French Creek Salmon Derby Aug 23-25

French Creek Salmon Derby Aug/23-25, 2013...
Hey everyone, just a little reminder that we'll be having another local salmon derby at the end of the month. Derby headquarters will be at the French Creek Marine Pub. Tickets are $10.00/Rod, tickets available at French Creek Marina Store-(250) 248-8912, or French Creek Marine Pub-(250) 248-3713. There will be a daily largest salmon prize, as well as daily hidden weight prizes. An overall largest salmon prize, as well as a great prize table that all entrants are eligible for. All proceeds go to the Marion Baker Salmon Hatchery on French Creek. The salmon fishing should be fairly good, with some salmon hopefully moving in on the Qualicum Rivers. The recent rains may make things interesting. Hope you can make it!

Western Star

Last edited by a moderator:
2013 French Creek Salmon Derby Information

Hey Everyone, just so you are aware, you can weigh your fish in after 9pm on Friday and Saturday night if you call Russ at the pub 250-248-7934.

Western Star

derby poster 2013.jpg

2013 French Creek Salmon Derby Boundaries Map

Hey everyone, here is a map of the French Creek Salmon Derby Boundaries.

Western Star

boundaries.jpg

Cant wait! I have my tickets :) Hope the prizes are as good as last year! good luck everyone :)

I heard there are some great live bands coming to the pub on Friday and Saturday night. perfect for that after fish cocktail!

SS

Have you got your tickets yet?!

Hey everyone,Ticket sales are going well. Hoping to get lots of people out for the event. There are lots of great prizes up for grabs. All proceeds are going to local salmon enhancement. I will be posting updates of the leaderboard as the weekend progresses. Good luck to all!

Western Star

I'll come up from Ladysmith if someone can give me a hint or two where to fish and what t fish with. I've never fished the Qualicum rivers before. I think I'm free on Friday & Saturday but booked for Sunday. Cheers; twogone

I'll come up from Ladysmith if someone can give me a hint or two where to fish and what t fish with. I've never fished the Qualicum rivers before. I think I'm free on Friday & Saturday but booked for Sunday. Cheers; twogone

Hey Twogone, would be nice to see you come down for our derby. Typically the Little Qualicum and Big Qualicum river mouths are a good bet this time of year, and generally people fish in pretty shallow water using brightly colored gear and shorter leaders. A lot of people have success jigging for salmon in these areas too. You will see the boats! I have had some success this week in the evenings at the Little "Q". Hope to see you out there.

Western Star

24 pounder.JPG
24 Lb. Chinook

W.T. many thanks for the 'tips'. I will pick my Parksville fishing partner up at 7:00 on Friday AM and put my little boat in at French Creek. Hopefully the wind won't be a factor. Saturday is 'iffy' as the 'honey do' list is starting to bulge. I may do some begging and groveling for the Saturday. Thanks again; see you out there! Tight lines! twogone

leaderboard as of 1pm friday

27lb 10oz
24lb 7oz

lots of fish coming in. great fun! winds supposed to settle down for an after supper fish.

SS

New leader!

A beauty 29lb 7oz chinook has taken the lead!

Don't forget to buy your ticket! Some poor fool caught an awesome 35 and didn't have a ticket! Don't let that be you. The French creek store or the weigh in table by the pub has them. Pick it up BEFORE YOU GO!

SS

Where they getting 'em?

Had a look this afternoon...... about 6 boats out front of F.C........and maybe 10 out front of Little Q.....

Sooo! What was the outcome of the Derby?
How many tickets sold?
How many fish weighwed in?
Who was the winner with what size?
Where were most of the fish caught?
How much money to the cause?
Lure-washer

Back