2012 Halibut trip thread.

Out with a group of 7 boats from work yesterday for an informal hali derby in the Victoria area. 4 of the 7 boats got Hali. East produced better than west. Herring seemed to be the favourite bait.
Hope yours was one of those boats Brock... Im throwing the new motor in the boat tomorrow, can't wait to get back out there!

Hope yours was one of those boats Brock... Im throwing the new motor in the boat tomorrow, can't wait to get back out there!

No, went to where we were last time --- dogfish city yesterday. Lots of fun when fishing in 240' of water. Beauty day though...

The DO will be tight with the new motor...

had a great day yesterday. Quick limit of hali's up to 61 pounds . Herring with a skirt.

I use Butt juice for a scent trail. last bottle was $29 with tax. Anyone have any other suggestions for scent?

had a great day yesterday. Quick limit of hali's up to 61 pounds . Herring with a skirt.

I use Butt juice for a scent trail. last bottle was $29 with tax. Anyone have any other suggestions for scent?

Ram a Radiant Gun Barrell into the skirt (forgive the innuendo) and fill it with herring oil; the sponge will help it slow release. Otherwise, blend up fish guts!

P.S. I bought a bottle of Butt Juice anyways just so I can tell my friends who don't fish what my secret is. The looks never get old!

Had a decent day today. Got 3. Nothing big, 2 around 30 and one @ 15. Found an awesome chicken ranch. Loads of action. Had 5 other light hits. All 3 fish we got hit on the small hooks. Never thought they were hook shy but
didnt get any avtion on anthing bigger than 8/0. Beauty Day!!

I've been using that Pro-cure Butt Juice for a couple of seasons now. I find injecting it into the bait works better than
using it in a scent chamber.

Me and my buddy hit constance early sunday morning, rough ride out there as expected but it settled down nicely. Dropped anchor in 250 flat area all on our own, lots of doggies, even a double header, then a nice 25 lb'r and we let a ping pong racket go back. 12:00 noon rolls by so we decided to bring out the salmon gear and try some bottom fishing 100 feet along the south east side of constance. Within 1/2 hour i snagged bottom and lost a canon ball, damn ! 5 minutes later the other rod is hung up on bottom .... or so we thought. After 20 minutes of slow pulling this beast of a halibut looms into view, well the excitement level increases and we coax it to the boat and i gaff it solidly with my stainless halibut gaff ( big mistake) and i can't pull the beast over the gunnel, then it comes to life and starts thrashing and twisting and breaks free of the gaff straight to the bottom. (buddies eyes as big as saucers at this point) Another 20 minutes later we gingerly coax it back up and this time a clean shot with the harpoon , all the while thinking to let go of the rope when its through thanks to a previous post here :). Solid hit and it takes both of us to get in the boat and hog tie it. phew, two happy fisherman, weighed out at 113.9 at island outfitters. :)

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 234
  • 15 april 2012 halibut trip.jpg
    15 april 2012 halibut trip.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 236
Me and my buddy hit constance early sunday morning, rough ride out there as expected but it settled down nicely. Dropped anchor in 250 flat area all on our own, lots of doggies, even a double header, then a nice 25 lb'r and we let a ping pong racket go back. 12:00 noon rolls by so we decided to bring out the salmon gear and try some bottom fishing 100 feet along the south east side of constance. Within 1/2 hour i snagged bottom and lost a canon ball, damn ! 5 minutes later the other rod is hung up on bottom .... or so we thought. After 20 minutes of slow pulling this beast of a halibut looms into view, well the excitement level increases and we coax it to the boat and i gaff it solidly with my stainless halibut gaff ( big mistake) and i can't pull the beast over the gunnel, then it comes to life and starts thrashing and twisting and breaks free of the gaff straight to the bottom. (buddies eyes as big as saucers at this point) Another 20 minutes later we gingerly coax it back up and this time a clean shot with the harpoon , all the while thinking to let go of the rope when its through thanks to a previous post here :). Solid hit and it takes both of us to get in the boat and hog tie it. phew, two happy fisherman, weighed out at 113.9 at island outfitters. :)

Great report and congats on that slab. Good read and photos. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Way to go Gerry , saw it on island outfitter's reports yesterday.
must have been quite a fight on salmon gear ?
good job ! :)

Scale said 122lbs at Cheanuh? Taped length was 69-70" at fork in tail. Puts it somewhere around 170 depending wich chart is used. Either way it would not have gone well if I put it in my wifes car and drove to fitters.:p The cheeks were great.

Back