2012 Halibut trip thread.

Guess the pic wasn't that crappy after all if you guys could pick out that ****!

Good eyes! Better than mine apparently cause it was me that rigged it and forgot to clip it. In my own defense, buddy Ray handed me the set up and I just clipped the one clip to the other clip without a thought that both needed to be closed cause that's not how they are usually rigged.

Guess that's why they sent me a 'little-guy', cause like you said, a biggy would've busted me off. The 'Hali-Gods' were with me.

That clip is open from the mainline:eek: too love it!

Good eye man... If that thing was 15lbs it would have popped that.. :D

Good eats Turry!

Congrats on your 1st hallie Little hawk. Ya, I noticed the upside down and open-clasp spreader bar too. But you landed your fish anyways, good for you!!

It took about 1/2 hour to get it to the boat, the first 20mins it wouldn't budge off the bottom
I can't imagine what a 150-200 lb'er would be like to deal with ???
it was getting pretty rough, so we decided to run for home after we boated it.
It bled out a lot through the gut shot, i'm not sure if that really changes the weight much anyway ?

Sorry for the rookie question guys, But I assume it was fighting at first befor it decided not to budge from the bottom, or else how would someone unexperienced like my self distinguish between a snag and a 100+pounder!?

There's life on the end of the rod ;)
you can feel the head shakes, unlike a snag which is dead until
you start winding into it.

Guess the pic wasn't that crappy after all if you guys could pick out that ****!

Good eyes! Better than mine apparently cause it was me that rigged it and forgot to clip it. In my own defense, buddy Ray handed me the set up and I just clipped the one clip to the other clip without a thought that both needed to be closed cause that's not how they are usually rigged.

Guess that's why they sent me a 'little-guy', cause like you said, a biggy would've busted me off. The 'Hali-Gods' were with me.

you may have had a chance to land a biggy on that setup regardless...pretty sure the wieght clip is the weekest link, the crane swivels used are 350 lb test....the coastlock snap swivels for your wieghts rate in at 125lb test. So chances are you could land it, not to worry!

Terminal tackle is rated just as line strength is....it's just harder to find that specific information...

WEll I wouldnt trust them at all speaking from experience I cut the leader one off IMMEDIATLLY and replace it with a berkely snap the bigger one, many years ago landed a large hali tossed it into the boat looked at the spreader bar and that snap had straightend right out and was hanging on the little tip and lucky there was tension as soon as it was in the boat pop out it slipped NEVER again did i trust them.

BTW way to go terry on your hali !!!!

Wolf

I had one straighten out on me and I lost something big that I never had the chance to see. It acted a lot like a big skate as it was like pulling a 4x8 sheet of ply from the middle and then wen I would get it 50 to 75 feet from bottom down it would go again. After 4 or five times I tightened up too much and wen it was done the clip was opened and bent at the end. I am pos I had it closed properly.

Anyway good job on the first But.!!!!

Out with a group of 7 boats from work yesterday for an informal hali derby in the Victoria area. 4 of the 7 boats got Hali. East produced better than west. Herring seemed to be the favourite bait.

Back