2002 Trophy Accessories

D

Downey

I'm getting a new 2002 Trophy with a 150 Optimax this week, and was wondering if anybody had any do's or don'ts with regards to the kicker bracket I had planned on a Garlick with a 9.9 Merc High Thrust Big Foot, elec trim and tilt. Also where to mount the scotty 1106 down riggers? Any special spot, pics would be great. Thanks in advance.

I would go with a T8 Yamaha for trolling. By the way how can a 2002 be new in 2007 EH? That is pretty amazing if someone actually sat on a brand spankin' new 2002 boat for 5 years without selling it. Who knows I'm just sayin' sounds a little fishy. Either way congrats on the new boat are in order. Have fun and be safe.

I agree with CS and Kone Zone. Go with the solid bracket and the Yamaha 8 high thrust. I have a 2002 Trophy and have that set up. It's great. Plenty of kicker power. You don't need a 9.9 in my opinion. If you stay with the 9.9 Merc, go with the solid bracket and just use your tilt to raise it.

Probably a 2007 model 2002 (20 footer)
quote:Originally posted by KoneZone

I would go with a T8 Yamaha for trolling. By the way how can a 2002 be new in 2007 EH? That is pretty amazing if someone actually sat on a brand spankin' new 2002 boat for 5 years without selling it. Who knows I'm just sayin' sounds a little fishy. Either way congrats on the new boat are in order. Have fun and be safe.

Had a 1802WA and you can see the Scottys bases in the two corners.
Worked out ok for me
April2007011.jpg
[/img]

I have a 21' Campion Explorer with the 71091 Garelick Bracket.
I bought a Merc Big Foot and could not stand it. Poor design. The start button is under the cowl and I literally had to have someone hold my feet so I could push it. Plus the tiller arm is either full up or full down. No in between. Full down would hit the boat when I turned and when it was full up could barely reach the throttle or shift. My opinion and the dealer too was that the Big foot was meant to have a remote throttle.
Anyway I took it back for a full refund ( great dealer!) and got the Yamaha T8 with power tilt, start and charger. Absolutely love it. Lots of power for my size boat. Runs great and starts instantly. Look around the marina, 80% Yamaha T9's and T9.9's. 19% Honda and 1 or 2 Merc Bigfoots. Must mean something. Get the dealer to put a prop guard on for you too.
Good Luck! Sir Reel
a040Small.jpg

I have a Trophy 2052, the same boat with the I/O and have mounted two scotty electrics with two rod holders each,on the back corner - works very well, the strongest point, and eliminates any lines in the motor or kicker. They swing forward for storage and to the rear, when you are running.
Seems to be the easiest to work with, especially with newby guests. You can set them in the corner, and hopefully they will stay out of the way when the action is on.
I mounted a 9.9 Merc Bigfoot on the port side rear, and used a Garlick bracket with an eze steer. I do not have a power tilt, but never need to tilt the kicker anyway. The springs in the bracket make it easy to raise and lower.
I did have some cavitation problems at first, but the dealer installed some plasic shims to tilt the bracket up - away from the hull at the bottom. No more problems.
Enjoy the boat!

Pescaru, what are the two welded brackets (attached near the motor) for?

Well thanks for all the info. The boat is a year 2006 model #2002 (20 foot)walkaround. As for the Merc vs Yamaha, I think I will stay with the 9.9 merc but I will look into the controls. For the bracket I would like solid and that seems to be a little more popular.
Thanks for the mounting instructions for the downriggers, sounds like the best spot. Will be seeing you on the water next week sometime.

Here's a photo link of my solid bracket set up. The solid bracket in my opinion is the way to go since you have power tilt. Makes it very solid back there.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t273/slabby20/DSCN4099.jpg

Couldn't figure out how to just paste in the entire photo. Can someone tell me how I find those instructions on the forum? I seem to recall seeing a post or topic on how to attach photos but I can't find it.

Slabby

I just figured out to do it too.

In your post click on the yellow box with an arrow. Is 4 boxes from the right on mine. When you click on the button it puts the following in your message:
(img)(/img) except I had to use a () bracket instead of a [] otherwise it won't show up in my message. Go to your photobucket page and select the photo you want.
Copy the URL link and paste it between (img) and (/img)
Like this (img)http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/image.jpg(/img)
Hit preview below and you should see your picture if it works.
Hope that helps.

Sir Reel

Mark,

Now that Sir Reel has educated me on how to attach photos, here are my other two photos of the bracket set up

DSCN4098.jpg

DSCN4097.jpg

That solid bracket looks perfect. Approximately what should I be paying for it.
Thanks again

I'll have to call the place I bought it tomorrow and get you a price. I bought the motor and bracket (installed)as a package a few years back and don't remember the cost of the bracket alone.

Wouldn't the bracket be better if it was a little shorter,that way it would be closer to the boat.Just a thought.I think it would still miss the trim tabs.Still think that the power tilt and electric start is the way to go.Good luck and hope you get it all together so you can get out there soon.you might want to try liquid metals in Sidney the did a nice job on my transom bracket.

CS/ it all depends on how much stuff you got to store. Space is never enough:)

Red Monster/ that used to be a fish cleaning table bracket

vic

Mark,

Called the dealer where I bought the bracket. Their part price on the bracket is $325.00. They have three colors, plain aluminum, black and white.

Casper,

I've never had any issues with the length of the bracket. It's worked out great for me but I understand your thinking.

Back