2 stroke oil.

Buying oil in bulk is way cheaper. Always be percise on mixing your oil or go a touch rich. I mix my oil with a plastic graduated cylinder to make it easier. Oils have API/SAE letters on them. If the oil meets your engines specs it will probably do. As a sidenote fuel also has a big part to do with engine life. Have seen a couple of engines burned up from people running ethanol based fuels ie mohawk. The ethanol runs hot in two strokes and breaks the oil down before it has time to do its job.

Good info West coast , I and several of my older friends have also noted the ethanol based fuels will run far too hot and will be detrimental to the 2 strokes , 2 of our sons found that out the hard way.

Regards

AL

I've always used the yamaha bulk 2 stroke oil with premium gas[ouch]when I bought the motor the mechanic said that the oil brought down the octane rating of the fuel which could cause problems.For 5 bucks or so more each trip it made sense .It does run nice.On one occasion I had to mix crappy tire oil with the yamaha oil,I could tell right away the difference it farted and popped and fouled the plugs.So I have a spare jug of oil under the seat.I figure for what a new motor costs,repairs also,that anything that I could do to keep care of it just made sense.DAN

TCW3 compliant oil is TCW3 compliant oil and the Walmart 2 stroke brand is TCW3 compliant oil, end of story.

Comes out of the ground, get's refined, get's tested, goes in the tub. The rest is marketing or additives pure and simple.

Walmart TCW3 oil = $2.96/litre = $11.20/gallon = $33.60/3 gallons

Next topic???

:D

i use specail oil for my e-tec from evinrude about 50 bucks for 4liters last me about 80 hours:D

SIR you do have a valid point BUT what else is in that cheap oil?????
maybe nothing but the old adage you get what you pay for!!!!!! may come into play.Ill stick with the good stuff as it looks good I have seen that oil and it is murky where the stuff I use is a nice bluegreen tinge to it and thats what was recommended to me to use for warrenty issues.

My motor is a $20,000 investment I think a few dollars extra for oil is by far a good piece of mind knowing I am looking after things!!!!!!

Just my opinion Wolf

Hey wolf, being retired from a 20 year career in sales and marketing I have to say you are the ideal target consumer!!!

I actually agree with you in general terms on you get what you pay for with manufactured good. I have for example stopped buying any products made with Chinese steel(especially tools and motors) and have learned over the years that quality made electronics last far longer and with fewer glitches than knock offs.

But... with todays profit driven companies where product price has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with product cost and it's all about what the consumer is willing to pay you have to use some common sense. The manufacturer knows you paid a shwack for your boat and motor, and knows you have cash, so takes that into mind when pricing "marine" products. We've all paid the 2-3 times what a normal part would cost just because it has "marine" in the title. I try to figure out when you actually get extra value for what you spend vs when its all marketing....

I think the whole marine space is a marketeers playground with oil being a prime example. Oil is oil and is a naturally occuring non-manufactured product. Due to consolidation there are not that many refineries in the world and product testing ensures that what goes in the can meets spec. 20kt gold is 20kt gold, pure silver is pure silver and TCW3 oil is TCW3 oil. If we don't apply some consumer back pressure on these "marine" pricing practices they are only going to get worse. Why should a waterproof switch cost three times as much at a marine store than at NAPA? Help stop the insanity by taking your $$$ and spending them elsewhere.

You can tell the tides and weather suck today when I have time to write stuff like this :D

Happy Fish-in!!!

I agree with you but what else is in that oil????? from walmart it is murky ????I get my oil at a pretty good price anyways so i am not to worried about it it just raised questions thats all.

Wolf

Well I can't get this to come up properly,the wife tried too.Go to google and type in tcw3 2 stroke engine oil when it comes up go to page 2 at top saltwater sportsman magazine it has a VERY GOOD write up on 2 stroke oil.It explains a lot of properties etc.Well worth a read,it explains exactly what happened to my buddies evinrudes rings and the $$$$$ repairs it needed.All to do with oil.READ the last paragraph.DAN

Oil ratings are based on the minumum performance of that oil. Yes most oil comes from the same few places as does fuel. The additives in oil are what makes it better than brand x. I remember sitting through school during my apprenticeship thinking when the hell am I going to need to know all this useless information about oil ie additives, sae/api ratings viscosity and lubricty properties after all the company I wrench for buys the oil and if they want cheap oil running in there $30,000 diesel thats their call. Well after a good number of years making my living on the tools I have learned that good oils will save you money. Yes most of the larger fleets spend the money on chervron dello 400 15/40. I have to admit I tend to be a bit of a penny picher in some areas but not in what goes in my boat or my personal vehicle. I am not trying to scare anyone off buying cheaper oil as many midgrade oils are just fine but the bottom of the barrel two stroke oil doesn't even seem to mix well.

Well SIR if the additives are better for your boat wouldnt you want it in there??? then not????
That was a good read thanks SIR but ill stick to the same oil I use now.

Wolf

Okay, some back of napkin rough calculations.

I burn about 150-200 litres of fuel per day during the summer months which corresponds to about 3-4 litres of oil per day. My Walmart cost is about $12 per day, I think a 4 litre jug of quicksilver is about $40(?). So I'm saving $28 per day, $196 per week, $784 per month, or roughly $9K per year ( I don't consume that much in the winter months so my actual annual savings should be around 5K). Three years savings, new engine paid for. I think I can do without the additives.....

Never said additives were bad, just said they weren't worth the $$$ in a heavy use scenario.

Is there a fatal flaw in my logic???

Where are you going burning that much fuel????WOW thats out of control a jug of that sieera oil is about 30 bucks give or take i think if your going through that much oil I think you need to invest in a 55 gallon barrel LOL at I think it was about $1200 bucks for quicksilver and I know it would last you about a year for sure something you may want to think about ????

Wolf

Two 3-4 hour boat tours of Mitlenatch Island, Desolation Sound and the Ragged Islands per day at 20-30 liters per hour depending on how many people in the boat and how successful I'm being at keeping the damn barnacles off the bottom of the boat.

At $1200 it would still be twice the price of my Walmart oil :D

Now on the other hand if I could buy gas at a discount in 55 gallon drums......

PS - I special order my Walmart oil five cases at a time [V]

Don't feel that bad, I'm making a minimum of $700 per day on those tours. Gotta spend money to make money :D

Back