18 pound cannon balls used with snubber

Sliver09

Just looking for some feedback here...

I recently picked up a set of the Scotty cannon ball snubbers for my 1106 DRs
Curious if any of you have experience using the snubbers with 18 pound cannon balls? I'm a bit cautious of the weight difference from the 12 to the 18 pounders, will the snubbers handle it?

Cheers

We use 18's with the blue urethane snubbers no problem. Put two or three wraps of the braid through the eye before tying it off.

It worked fine for me. I would be interested in the load on your 1106's with an 18# ball. I tried this setup earlier this season when trying to get down to 200+ on braid b/c the blowback was extreme with 15# balls. Never timed the retrieval difference but I was actually more worried about the strain wondering if 1106's can handle the pick up of 18# from that depth?

Thanks for the feedback!

I don't extend the booms on my 1106 with the 18 pound balls. I'm too chicken **** to go past 200' for the exact same reason. Gear isn't cheap

I was having trouble with blowback fishing deep as well. I called Scotty and asked about 18 pond balls on the 1106. They didn't recommend it. 15 pounders is as much as they would advise.

I was having trouble with blowback fishing deep as well. I called Scotty and asked about 18 pond balls on the 1106. They didn't recommend it. 15 pounders is as much as they would advise.
Thanks S88 and S09. Actually had not considered the torque on the 1106 boom at all. Considering what S88 heard from Scotty, will continue with 15# + braid + adjust for blowback :)

Short, thin gangen, no snubber, small 8" flasher or no flasher will reduce blowback. Sometimes you need to let out 275+ to fish 200. They'll still bite.

Been using 18#’s with a Scotty snubber and 200# mono stopper with 1106’s, have had no issues.

Scotty rated the 1106’s for up to an 18# ball. This was confirmed by a Scotty sales rep at the boat show. Look at the model comparison chart:

http://scotty.com/product/no-1106-depthpower-downrigger-36-60/

I've ran 18s on 1106s for a few years. Cracked a spool and broke some break tension springs. Parts are cheap and I can fix my riggers on the water most occassions. Booms fully extended running as deep as 240 on the counter. Let my last 1106 riggers go with the old boat when I sold it and bought 3 new ones. They seem better built because I haven't had any problems yet.

Never broke a snubber; been using them since 1990 (Goldstar).

The fix to these problems is having less drag thru the water. I use 20# spectra on my reels & used to use 90# stainless on the DR's; have gone to 150# spectra. I try to fish w/o a flasher.

Back