17.5ft Malibu Tyee Kicker Size

Nugget

Hi folks,

Looking for some advice. I am upgrading my 1994 merc 9.9 kicker with a new Merc 8hp. When I measure my 1994 merc kicker the leg length is 22.5in. An extra long leg seems too long on this boat but seems my old 1994 is right in the middle between a long and extra long leg…

Does anyone have the same or similar boat (17.5DE) ? If so what length of kicker do you have? Do you have a kicker bracket or mount right on the transom?

Thx

Nug

Hi folks,

Looking for some advice. I am upgrading my 1994 merc 9.9 kicker with a new Merc 8hp. When I measure my 1994 merc kicker the leg length is 22.5in. An extra long leg seems too long on this boat but seems my old 1994 is right in the middle between a long and extra long leg…

Does anyone have the same or similar boat (17.5DE) ? If so what length of kicker do you have? Do you have a kicker bracket or mount right on the transom?

Thx

Nug
We had a Tyee until last year - great boat!
It had a long shaft which is needed in any slop. We had a bracket, which I hated! A solid transom mount with an electric trim outboard would be awesome!

Hi folks,

Thx

Nug
I have that hull with a 115 yam. I stuck a 20 inch kicker on there which is the right length. I put a 5h Merc sail drive as I don't Troll with this boat so it was only for redundancy and I wanted to keep the weight down. Works good.

If I were going to the 8hp I might see if there's a new old stock 9.9 prop kicker around. That's the lowest hp injected motor and worth the extra couple bucks. The new 9.9 pro kicker shares the same block as the 15 so it is heavy in comparison. Believe its 22' and earlier they had the smaller displacement block (same as the 8) which saves some weight.

Great info thanks. Curious if your kicker sits right on the transom or do you have a bracket or straight transom mount?

Great info thanks. Curious if your kicker sits right on the transom or do you have a bracket or straight transom mount?
Right on the transom. Standard for the DE. See lots of 90 yams and 9.9 kickers side by side. There enough room.

Interesting. I agree there is more than enough room. My current kicker is mounted right on the transom however, I feel it sits too low and when there is two people in the back corner it goes low in the water and bogs down. I think I want a small straight transom mount so the kicker sits a few inches higher off of the transom.

a 9.9 fits on the transom juuuust barely! The kicker doesn’t touch the side when it’s cranked like this but it’s only like 1/2” off. 6E24F53B-BE1C-4E9A-A4DF-EFCD80CEB2B1.jpeg

Interesting. I agree there is more than enough room. My current kicker is mounted right on the transom however, I feel it sits too low and when there is two people in the back corner it goes low in the water and bogs down. I think I want a small straight transom mount so the kicker sits a few inches higher off of the transom.
Mount it a bolt up. You could also move some weight around. I shifted some weight into the bow to level mine out a bit. Some guys put a tank in the bow if you want to get fancy. I just shifted 100lbs of lead and other heavy items up there and it helped.

Back