16’ Hourston Vs 16’ Double Eagle ?

16 foot double eagle is much narrower than the 17 foot and you can not mount a kicker on the transom like the 17 foot don't know about the Hourston didn't like the 16 foot double eagle too narrow very rocky.

Looking to see what the consensus is between the two in the same size range with pros and cons for each.
Full disclosure... i have a16' Double Eagle which after modifications now meet my needs for a fishing machine. That said prior to purchase about 3 years ago I spent a far bit of time looking at and researching 16' fiberglass boats. IMO you really can't go wrong with either.
Both are proven hull designs for handling inshore waters of the pacific northwest. Dependent on your use of the boat it might be worth looking at available floor space (dance floor) based on width between gunnels and distance from the rear seat(s) to the back of boat wash well. Also many of the earlier model years of both boats were built in a time when lighter two stroke engines were the standard. Four stroke engines with a greater weight can really drop the back end of the boat as it sits in the water and consequently have some impact on handling.

If you can go the extra foot, the 17’ of either boat is a big upgrade. I prefer the eagle.

16 foot double eagle is much narrower than the 17 foot and you can not mount a kicker on the transom like the 17 foot don't know about the Hourston didn't like the 16 foot double eagle too narrow very rocky.
I was able to mount a 9.9 kicker on my 16' DE but it required me to custom design/build a kicker bracket that would work with the very tight available space. Totally agree the 17' DE are a big step up size wise from the 16" model.

One big difference between the Double Eagle and the Hurston is the Hurston has an annoying upslope on the floor each side which effects how you stand when are releasing or netting a fish. I would go for the Double Eagle built after 1980, The early ones are too narrow.
As others have stated an upgrade to 17' if preferable.

Well now. I bought a 1989 Double Eagle 16.6 last December 2021, that was rebuilt from the ribs up, including a new transom. I asked Double Eagle about putting my new Tohatsu 9.9 as a kicker along with the 2004 60Hp Mercury already on the boat. They had no qualms about it as both motors are under the original transom weight by 50#. I have the kicker mounted on a new Panther 4 stroke bracket. Now I'll find out if that is all a bit much. If so, I'll sell the 9.9 and get a 4-6Hp Tohatsu.

If you can go the extra foot, the 17’ of either boat is a big upgrade. I prefer the eagle.
I totally agree with this comment. If you can go the extra 1.5 feet to a 17.5 you will be happy with the Eagle. Years ago I had 16'...its just not enough boat for fishing and the west coast weather.

The only con about any the 16 or 17 is DE rotten floors/transoms unless it is newer. In this market really be very careful what you pay. Don't get conned about name, and spend big bucks for rotten boat.

My only add is a ran a 16ft double eagle. I wouldn't get one that size it is very small. I would look for 17ft. Huge difference in space/handling.

Full disclosure... i have a16' Double Eagle which after modifications now meet my needs for a fishing machine. That said prior to purchase about 3 years ago I spent a far bit of time looking at and researching 16' fiberglass boats. IMO you really can't go wrong with either.
Both are proven hull designs for handling inshore waters of the pacific northwest. Dependent on your use of the boat it might be worth looking at available floor space (dance floor) based on width between gunnels and distance from the rear seat(s) to the back of boat wash well. Also many of the earlier model years of both boats were built in a time when lighter two stroke engines were the standard. Four stroke engines with a greater weight can really drop the back end of the boat as it sits in the water and consequently have some impact on handling.
I(@noluck )dropped a 2016 Merc 90 on back of a DE 15’7”. Didn’t ride too bad or sit too low imo with 2 passengers sitting upfront.

Attachments

• CC83D18D-E26A-4D81-B8B3-3D21849AEF4A.png
    CC83D18D-E26A-4D81-B8B3-3D21849AEF4A.png
    450.9 KB · Views: 61
Thanks for all the input fellas ! Finding the right unit in the right condition for the right price is gonna be the struggle I can already feel. In a perfect world id get one with a 50-90hp four stroke, outfit it to fish comfortably for me and my 1st mate with potential to take another couple friends - although I don't forecast it happening all that often. My brother has a 16' DE from 1982, which I don't mind but it is far from the way I would set it up and I dont think he will ever let that one go.

Both super great boats, I’ve owned a 16’ double eagle and 17’ hourston currently, definitely agree with what the others have said, rot is your biggest concern assuming your going with an older used model my double eagle ended up being completely rotten and water logged that was when I was new to boats and didn’t know what to look for i definitely got taken advantage of like others have with their first boat,. I’ve seen more rotten boats out there than solid boats lately lots of people taking advantage of the market. Be patient and really go over the boat or have a survey done. I personally love my hourston I’ve fished everywhere on Vancouver island and never felt unsafe. The 16’ hourston is actually 15’6” I believe the double eagle is a true 16’ (don’t quote me on that) if you can get the 17’ of either it’s a lot more comfortable and still very efficient with a 70-115hp O.B I find the double eagle has a little more freeboard in the stern over the hourston, your welcome to check out My hourston if you want or message me with any questions.

These are the seller's photos that helped me decide to buy the DE.

Attachments

• REPAIRED Ribs #2 of Petit Fromage.jpg
    REPAIRED Ribs #2 of Petit Fromage.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 130
  • REPAIRED Ribs #3 of Petit Fromage.jpg
    REPAIRED Ribs #3 of Petit Fromage.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 121
  • REPAIRED Ribs of Petit Fromage.jpg
    REPAIRED Ribs of Petit Fromage.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 120
  • REPAIRED transum #2  of Petit Fromage.jpg
    REPAIRED transum #2 of Petit Fromage.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 116
  • REPAIRED TRANSUM of PETIT FROMAGE.jpg
    REPAIRED TRANSUM of PETIT FROMAGE.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 125
Both super great boats, I’ve owned a 16’ double eagle and 17’ hourston currently, definitely agree with what the others have said, rot is your biggest concern assuming your going with an older used model my double eagle ended up being completely rotten and water logged that was when I was new to boats and didn’t know what to look for i definitely got taken advantage of like others have with their first boat,. I’ve seen more rotten boats out there than solid boats lately lots of people taking advantage of the market. Be patient and really go over the boat or have a survey done. I personally love my hourston I’ve fished everywhere on Vancouver island and never felt unsafe. The 16’ hourston is actually 15’6” I believe the double eagle is a true 16’ (don’t quote me on that) if you can get the 17’ of either it’s a lot more comfortable and still very efficient with a 70-115hp O.B I find the double eagle has a little more freeboard in the stern over the hourston, your welcome to check out My hourston if you want or message me with any questions.
Your right on the Hourston being 15.6 ft.

I bought my 1980 16' Double Eagle brand new. Recently had the transom rebuilt by Jenkins in Sooke.
Had it built 3" higher.
They inspected the stringers and said they were in good shape.
I have always had 115 hp on it with a 9.9 kicker and replace a few motors over the years.
Both motors are currently 4 stroke. Always kept on a trailer under shelter when not in use.
Built in a gas tank up front to help with balance.
I have fished this boat EVERYWHERE up and down both the east and west coast of Vancouver Island and is the perfect two fisherman boat.
Trails well, easy to launch, great on gas and good in choppy water!!
I figure it is good to another 40 years
transom 1 - Copy.jpgtransom - Copy.jpg20200916_115501 - Copy.jpg

Back