150 etec on a 17 ft hourston

willydw

May have a option of a 150 etec to go on my boat. What do you think. Two much motor !!! What do you think. Thanks Willydw.

Puurfect.. I had a 200 on my 17.5 sea-ray laguna.. It was just a lil too much but full of fuel and four guys headin out in the swells it worked grrreat!! Plus yer motor will last longer as you dont hafta work it so hard..

Should run like a Raped Ape. Had a 130 on a 17.5 Malibu and would haul butt 4 guys and gear would do 40mph. Those Etec's are nice motors, I would go for it. The one thing I would watch for is where your cables go though the transom. With the extra weight on the back(that Etec is 418lbs my 130HP was 358lbs) when a couple guys and gear some times water would go into the hole that the cables are routed though. I covered the old hole over and cut a new hole higher up. Other then that you should be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
MY buddy has a 115 on his and it goes like a raped ape... 150 e-tec would be a lot of motor for that boat?

150 is no problem. My bud just a bought a 18 tyee lund fiberglass with a 175 verado it's supercharged I got it to 55 mph on shuwap. I also rigged it with riggers so he can fish in close at hardy and it's not too much weight and a massive motor. The boat runs sweet with it. The more the horse power the better when it comes to fishing boats but like always don't go over. Most manufactures under power all boast to cut costs down.

My buddy had a 150 black max on his 17 double eagle, was a screamer but its only as fast as you make it.

I have a 150 merc on my 18' Hourston, the boat just rips. In my opinion i have found the 150 a little overkill especially when i am just going 3-10 minuets away on the ECVI fishing. My boats cruising speed is about 23.1MPH 4100RPMS any slower it will not plane any faster it will just guzzle the fuel like crazy. I think if i were to ever re power i would go with a 115 or a 135.

On the other hand if i was fishing West Coast Vancouver Island i would have the 150 in a heart beat. Especially if you get into some bad weather over there you want something that will pick up and go.

The choice will really depend on what you are doing and where you are going.

every boat has a Transport Canada capacity plate on the transom. The max horsepower is not a figure somebody grabbed out of the air. It is the tested weight and strength of the transom.If you get swamped offshore without power it is the difference between floating and not floating.

beemer

Got a 115 Johnson on the back of my 16.5 D.E. and even though that's the max HP rating, it's more than enough. Does
42 mph at WOT. Next motor will be a 90 hp. Yammerjammer 2 stroke. Usually fish by myself,or one other person once
in a while,so I really don't need the extra power. I guess it depends on how big a group you will be taking out on a
regular basis to justify that much power on a boat that size.

every boat has a Transport Canada capacity plate on the transom. The max horsepower is not a figure somebody grabbed out of the air. It is the tested weight and strength of the transom.If you get swamped offshore without power it is the difference between floating and not floating.

beemer

like-button-vector-552699.jpg

Horsepower following the plate recommendations is more than sufficient. :)

beemer

This is incorrect. Transport Canada max power rating is derived from a formula based on hull geometry. Boats with similar length, beam and deadrise will receive the same max power rating regardless of how their manufacturers construct the transom. Formula here if you are interested, you need to scroll down a fair bit.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/tp-tp1332-section4-1346.htm

Same as using regular automotive parts ie. starters, alternators, removing flame arrestors can and will void coverage in the case of an accident investigation so why risk?

I guess the thing that scares me lets say you put that on there your cruising almost top speed, and motor suddenly quits ....Would it swamp your boat....? In that size I would bet you would have an episode...And if it does what recourse would you have to go after the manufacturer of the boat? Would your insurer not cover you if that happened?

If it say a max HP rating on a transom I would follow it.... Your insurer would possibly disqualify you. Why take the chance?

I am not saying its wrong I know many guys with huge engines on there boat, so it is done. You just ahve to think about all options. Just a thought.... Good luck whatever motor you get.

I've got a 17 hourston with a 60 horse and on all but the calmest days it's all the motor that boat needs.

I'd drop down to a 115 if your hull/transom is in great shape or to a 90 if its a 20+ year old model like mine.

I have a 17 hourston with a 115 yamaha 2 stroke and it goes 40mph. Way more then you need and the max for that boat is a 115hp!!! Your bow would be up in the air with a 150 on the back. I put a bow tank in the front of mine to level out the weight. Works great!!! I get on plane at 3000 rpm and cruise up to 4100 which is 25-27 mph trimmed up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say it's more about the weight difference between motors of your choice than horsepower. Like somebody else said it's up to you how fast you want to go. The larger horsepower motor is nice when you need it for those heavy loads and big seas. But at some point the boat does become ridicuously overpowered.

This is incorrect. Transport Canada max power rating is derived from a formula based on hull geometry. Boats with similar length, beam and deadrise will receive the same max power rating regardless of how their manufacturers construct the transom. Formula here if you are interested, you need to scroll down a fair bit.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/tp-tp1332-section4-1346.htm

Thanks for the link sly karma , I was trying to put across that adding weight and horsepower grossly above the TC plate to any boat will compromise safety. The deadrise calculation does actually play into the transom height therefore the horsepower calculation. The "guide" that is posted cannot be fully understood without reading TC construction standards.

beemer

I agree Beemer, too much weight out off the stern is going to mess with things for sure. Balance and trim are very important safety items.

I agree Beemer, too much weight out off the stern is going to mess with things for sure. Balance and trim are very important safety items.

I agree, i have a friend with a 225 blackmax on an 18 sangster.. sure your first to the fishing hole but loaded up with fuel only about 2-3 inches of freeboard on the transom. a little bit of an uneasy feeling when waves are splashing over the transom when another boat goes by too close..

Back