Trophy underwater this morning

Peahead

Bit of a shock this morning when I walked down the west ramp at Thunderbird before heading out fishing. Not my boat but you don't like to see that happen to anyone. Apparently scuppers clogging with barnacles caused the issue but that doesn't make sense to me as how would sea water reverse through the scuppers if the drain level is above water line?
IMG_5316trophysunk.jpg

IMG_5318trophysunk.jpg

No way. I have those ping pong ball style of scuppers and they are meant to be above the waterline. Nothing works below without a valve to comopletely close it off.

Also, i'm with Sushihunter on what he posted

Doh! That's going to leave a mark....... on his wallet! :)

There is to much weight in gear on the back of the boat and I bet the fish tanks filled up with water to add to it. That year of trophy probably had rubber flaps that don't close off the scuppers rather than the ping pong ball type stoppers.

That is exactly why I want to remove my scuppers and fill the holes, they are right at the waterline and if one of the rubber flappers should stick or get something caught in it.........
I'd rather the deck drain into the bilge and let the pumps deal with it.

That is exactly why I want to remove my scuppers and fill the holes, they are right at the waterline and if one of the rubber flappers should stick or get something caught in it.........
I'd rather the deck drain into the bilge and let the pumps deal with it.

Depending on your bilge pumps only is also very dangerous. Scuppers, when placed properly backed up with bilge pumps is the most safe way to go

Depending on your bilge pumps only is also very dangerous. Scuppers, when placed properly backed up with bilge pumps is the most safe way to go
I would agree with that but the campion design puts the deck at or near water level so there's not much drop in the lines to the scuppers, thats another issue for some too, keep an eye on those deck drain hoses that they dont start to break down and leak.

I personally would try to keep any saltwater out of the bilge! Exposing everything in the bilge to saltwater is not good. It is a corrosive, which is hard on any wiring connection and it will flat-out turn all those clamps (yes, even stainless steel) to white powder!

It is not just Bayliner and Campion – it can happen with any boat. Scuppers are designed to be above the waterline. The problem starts when putting all that extra weight in the stern. (e.g. extra battery, downriggers, and those kickers) that were not designed to be there. The actual correct answer is move the weight forward (not putting all that weight on the stern), or counter by adding weight in the bow. Keeping those scuppers well above the waterline.

I had the same problem with my Proline with all the extra weight added. At rest the scuppers were right at the waterline – not good. It didn’t take much for water to start coming in and I do mean a LOT of water. I won't recommend to remove or permanently seal those scuppers; however, I would be plugging them. You will also be amazed the amount of rainwater that accumulates when those scuppers are plugged.

What I did was get two “Turn Tite Bailer Plugs.” Plugged the scuppers from the inside to keep water from entering back in. While trolling, anchored, or at rest – plugs went in. While running, especially in rough water, plugs came out! Not the best answer, but works and is better than the alternative indicated in those pictures!

Also, IMHO I would heed this advice:
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/sinking.htm

Im very interested in this thread as I had a similar problem happen with my whaler this week(with only a fraction of that much water in my stern,bilge,fish wells etc).. I was thinking it being due to missing the stainless nut on the fish well plugs therefore not being able to tighten them and water seeping in. My starboard side fish well was constantly filling. I'm now thinking it's due to the new kicker installed, a 4stroke 9.9 suzy weighing at 136 lbs. In addition to having a 200 main and down riggers I think she may be overloaded in the stern(18' Whaler Outrage). After reading this thread Im concerned it may be my scuppers being under the waterline. They are the rubber flap type. How can I even come close to adding enough weight in the bow to even out this problem, apart from keeping the heaviest passengers up front? Maybe fully seal the fish wells(use for storage and keep fish in cooler) and scuppers and just let her ride stern heavy? Ideas? Charlie how do you ever reach the scuppers in rough weather? I would need to reach way back over the stern and way down to use those turn tite bailer plugs.... ideas boys?

**To add to the problem I was getting no power to my bilge pump for a week, which is being fixed as we speak.. got a little hairy the last day I was out trolling off Point grey. While changing gear before I knew it had saltwater up to my ankles.. Had to bring in all the sockeye gear like lightning and had to charge along with the main for a couple minutes until she finally bled out all the saltwater and stepped up on plane. Thinking I should give the whole bilge compartment a freshwater bath as well as some salt-away once the bilge is fixed

Last edited by a moderator:
Demco, you should check to see if your foam core is not water logged. Foam cores are great but the proper proceedure must be followed when mounting gear on the sides or the water can penetrate and presto problems.

at rest on the dock with the riggers tucked away in the bow and such the scuppers are about 1 inch above the water line,
but with everything back there and we have 2 guys in the rear the water line is half way up the rubber flapper if a couple guys stand in 1 corner water will trickle in as soon as 1 guy moves away it drains out but slowly, I have a 9.9 4 stroke mounted on the right rear as well so like Charlile says the added weight isnt helping either I thought about sticking a cooler up front in the WA or pulpit area with my extra cannon balls and such but then was worried if the seas started to blow up (not that that ever happens) I may take water over the bow which could be just as bad if not worse, I dont like salt in the bilge either but not sure what other options I have, maybe I'm just over thinking it I know there have been many discussions on other forums on scuppers at or below water line and some just seem to accept the wet feet.
Tim

Hey gunsmith are you referring to here I mounted the Downriggers on the gunnel? Because I'm almost positive there is just glass cOming in that they are mounted on. Are the gunnels usually foam filled on whalers? How can I check if my foamcore is waterlogged?

I really don't know how your Outrage scuppers are plumbed? My deck drains are located under my fish box hatches. They then have lines running to my scuppers. If I ever have water coming back in (which I have never had) that water would dump directly in my fish boxes, which is what sounds like you have happening? FYI, I can pull both plugs in the fish boxes allowing them to fill compelely with water and it changes the attitude of the boat very little.

The first thing I would do to find out if water is backing in the fish box, all you would have to do is launch your boat, have someone standing on the stern, open the fish box hatches and look for water coming in from the deck drain? I would also check those drain lines for leaks?

Get yourself a $249 2" water pump, tie the starboard corner to something tight, and ler 'er rip. She'll float back up. For the sunken Trophy that is, not the the leakikng scuppers. That 20 footer will be just fine, drop the screws out of the float bowls in the carbs, pul the plugs, crank the engine a couple of times to clear the cylinders, and run some 20:1 through it for half an hour to flash the rest of the moisture off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will snap some pics for you Charlie so you can see what going on with my drainage, I'm worried about my girl!

I have always hated having scuppers on a small boat such as this.

When I worked for Eagle Pointe Lodge back in '95, we had some nice little Reinells that were similar in design to the Trophy at the top of this post, except that they had an I/O and were a little bigger - 22' I think. Just a nice size for a guide and two guests. We also had Honda 9.9hp kickers mounted on the stern. I always had to wear boots becuase anytime I got into one of the back corners it put the scupper under water and I would end up with a couple of inches of water on the back deck. It always drained out quickly, but I am of the opinion that you should never have to wear boots on a boat to keep dry.

If you can't put the scupper outlet a minimum of 12" above the waterline while the boat is loaded and at rest, they shouldn't be there at all.

Boats of this size just do not have enough bouyancy to allow for scuppers.

Back