The Local Salmon Superbowl January 25

I had the same thought. After payouts where are the profits going? Hopefully it's not some ones wallet or cash register, but rather to an organization that either represents the interests of anglers and Salmon or directly supports Salmon habitat restoration and enhancement. Our local volunteer supported hatcheries are always a good choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys,
This was a starting point and that would be the guaranteed minimum payout whether there would be 5 boats or 15. This is NOT a derby to line any one's pockets but is an event to break up January and take advantage of some great winter fishing. If there were to be 20 or more entries:

50% Cash Pot 1st 2nd 3rd
25% SPCA
25% Derby Costs, Food & Drink

If anyone has any other questions, please feel free to email thesalmonsuperbowl@gmail.com
Thanks
Jeremy Petzing

Not to take away from the importance of the SPCA...but any fishing derby should direct partial proceeds to further the work desperately required to improve fish and angler related projects. There is only so much money available from anglers to participate in derbies and if someone takes in this one they may have to opt out of another. That may take money away from fish/angler work. Just my opinion.

Not to take away from the importance of the SPCA...but any fishing derby should direct partial proceeds to further the work desperately required to improve fish and angler related projects. There is only so much money available from anglers to participate in derbies and if someone takes in this one they may have to opt out of another. That may take money away from fish/angler work. Just my opinion.

X2 Couldn't agree more.

Very good points chaps but The Local has made the commitment to the SPCA and undoing that would be poor form. Look forward to maybe seeing some of you guys at the scales!

Very good points chaps but The Local has made the commitment to the SPCA and undoing that would be poor form. Look forward to maybe seeing some of you guys at the scales!

Thanks Lap Dance, good to know and the SPCA is a good cause. Perhaps we can get some of their volunteers into some waders and into a stream. You may also want to put a post in the correct Forum for Derby Announcements on this site.

My own preference would be that the funds go directly to supporting Pacific Salmon because they desperately need it with all the governments’ cutbacks in funding over the years, but it is fair that those that do the work to organize a Derby get to make the call.

Thank you for all the work it takes to put on a Derby and provide a wholesome family outdoor activity for the angling community. I know our families all enjoy the fun and social aspects that Derbies provide to both adults and the increasing numbers of children and youth that participate. It is so much better than playing video games all day.

I look at this through a particular political lens. Some in society oppose Derbies; do not think they should be allowed because they increase fishing pressure on what they perceive is a resource that does not need any more pressure from any source. The reality that on South VI and especially this time of year, virtually all of the Salmon that will be caught are hatchery salmon from the US or our local volunteer angler supported hatcheries and do not impact wild stocks. That fact tends not to be acknowledged by those who oppose Derbies.

I attended a public meeting in Victoria with DFO staff back a few years, when they still valued input from anglers at large and were not afraid of open public meetings and a little public negative feedback on occasion, as they apparently are now. The subject of Derbies came up and it was apparent that DFO must take some heat on the subject as it was suggest we drop the term Derby and call them “Fund Raising Events” for salmon. Personally I don’t think that works as no one would know what you are talking about. The term Derby has a proud tradition and The ‘Salmon Fund Raising Event Superbowl’ does not exactly have a ring to it.

I do feel that it is important that funds raised through Derbies goes back to the Salmon and not just for the Public Relations and Political justification for even having Derbies in the first place but because it is the right thing to do. If you take from a resource, if you take from the salmon you have a responsibility to give back to the salmon and that takes money. Given that the Salmon that will be caught in this Derby will be hatchery fish, what message does it send to those Canadian volunteers who are providing some of the fish that will be caught in this Derby.

Baby salmon, like all babies need food very frequently, it is volunteer labour intensive and fish food and hatchery equipment is expensive. It has to be discouraging to those who provide some of the salmon that will be caught in this Derby to then see the funds raised go elsewhere when they so desperately need funds, no matter how worthy the cause the funds are to be provided to is, and there are a great many worthy causes.

What message does it send to the volunteer steam keepers who spend countless hours protecting salmon streams and those who get soaking wet, cold and exhausted pulling the endless supply of old tires and rusty shopping carts from these streams and restoring them as habitat for wild and hatchery salmon. Salmon need gravel not silt and their efforts also need financial support. That is something to think about for the future if we want to have any salmon to catch in Derbies or otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to sign up this week, it's gonna be a fun one!

Jer, thanks for putting this together. SPCA is a great cause

dfrase

Going to sign up this week, it's gonna be a fun one!

Jer, thanks for putting this together. SPCA is a great cause

dfrase

Hi Guys, thanks for moving it to appropriate page. Hidden Weight prizes to follow! So many very generous sponsors!!!!

So the weigh in is in the restaurant downtown?can you Moore your boat at one of the wharfs temporarily?or maybe u could try to find a parking spot on the causeway for the truck and trailer and hope not to get a ticket.

Parking, Weigh In, Moorage

So the weigh in is in the restaurant downtown?can you Moore your boat at one of the wharfs temporarily?or maybe u could try to find a parking spot on the causeway for the truck and trailer and hope not to get a ticket.

Parking can be easily accommodated in parking lots at Harbour Air as well as down below The Local where Hyack dock is. I believe around $8 for 2-3 hours.

I know presently there are many slips available right in front of The Local and believe that is governed by Victoria Harbour Authority. I know last year, some guys just dropped the fish there and ran them up to the scale and then dealt with the boat.

Yes the weigh in is on The Local Patio followed by a great feast inside or if weather permits, a tented BBQ on the patio.

Hope this helps some of your questions.

Jeremy

Here are some of the already donated prizes for hidden weight draw
Philips Brewery 2 x 20l kegs each with their own bronco pump $300

Lighthouse Brewery 2 x 20l kegs each with their own bronco $300

Slater’s Finest First Class Meats Prime Rib Roast $100

2 tickets St Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks March 10th $250

Trotac Halibut Penn Rod & Reel value $250

The Keg Steakhouse Gift Certificate

Budweiser Fill the Fridge (surprise)

Corby Distilleries 4 bottles of their finest Liquor

4 tickets Victoria Royals

Kirbys Source for Sports Authentic Black Team Canada Jersey $140

2 tickets Los Angeles Kings at Vancouver Canucks April 5th

Artisan Wines Basket of Mission Hill’s Finest

Il Terrazzo Gift Certificate

Geez, some pretty decent prizes LD. If my boat was not winterized I'd be there. Luv the poster btw

Back