OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good bite at the Cap on pm tide. I only picked up a hatch coho so far, but I've stayed away from the zoo at the mouth. Ridin solo so I don't want to pick up a fish in the middle of flotilla. Coho was on strip near bottom.

We fished sand heads Monday 10-3 pm. Lost a mid 20s spring right at the net, and lost a small coho at the boat. Only 2 bites. That's fishing! Whales came through around noon. Anchovies at 30-70 ft near the green can. Didn't see much other action, 20 boats around, maybe saw 3 fish hooked. Is it done?! I might give it a go on the weekend if the NW wind stays down.....

Fished the Sandhead today, one coho and lost beside the boat a really nice Chinook (or HUGH coho ) , fished from noon to 6pm , it was slow and a bit rough !!!

Threw on an army truck hoochie 20 mins ago. Got a spring around 15lbs right away, way outside the pack.
I was out there and stayed away from the pack as much as I could all I managed was a nice 10# hatch doe, did you happen to see the big yacht out there earlier? I just had to get close to see what they were trying to do, rods on the upper deck and downriggers on the lower deck, the guy up top had a headset with a mike to talk to the minions on the lower deck.I really wanted to see them hook up just to watch the mayhem

Its the new RCMP boat
Yeah and theyre going to need it to catch up with that whaler with the quad Etecs hanging off the back.
thats a serious fishing machine, anyone else seen it out

I was out there and stayed away from the pack as much as I could all I managed was a nice 10# hatch doe, did you happen to see the big yacht out there earlier? I just had to get close to see what they were trying to do, rods on the upper deck and downriggers on the lower deck, the guy up top had a headset with a mike to talk to the minions on the lower deck.I really wanted to see them hook up just to watch the mayhem

No I guess I missed that boat. Sounds pretty humorous. I don't know why those monster boats insist on fishing the cap mouth, they really should troll Ambleside instead.

I didn't go out till the late afternoon, so I missed that sideshow at least.

No I guess I missed that boat. Sounds pretty humorous. I don't know why those monster boats insist on fishing the cap mouth, they really should troll Ambleside instead.

I didn't go out till the late afternoon, so I missed that sideshow at least.
that big boat did stay well clear of the cap fleet, at least while i was there, I left about 1pm unfortunately partner wanted to head in, original plan was to fish to the high, oh well. but I was impressed how the big boat did stay off on his own, more up towards the pink apt. we lost 1 nice spring and had 2 other decent hits all at 75' on chovies

good friend of mine works for CBS, he rides in a new black zodiac, checks out freighters and fishn chips at rocky point.

Just picked up a spring on strip off bottom. Not very big, but it was the first spring I got on strip at the cap since Ive tried there the last couple days. So, a spring and a chum on strip today. Not anywhere near as good a bite there today compared to yesterday. Getting dark time to go in.

Spent a few hours along west van. Shook off a wild jack on bon chovy g force at 40, quickly lost what I believe was a chinook on chovy at 60 and then nailed a double header of hatch cohos on chovies at 40 and 60. Decent sized at 10 and 11 lbs. Sts and twisted sister flashers.

I know it's not for everybody but if you're looking for chum the only thing I've found to catch them semi consistently here is using herring strip. I tape up the heads using purple reflective tape and a purple haze flasher. It won't slay them, but they seem to like that rig. So did a Coho, and a spring in the last couple days. So that rig pretty much covers all the bases. Bounce her on bottom and something will like it. I've also found a purple haze dummy flasher has been helping as well. I use the triangular Flashers for dummies. I haven't picked up anything big at the cap on the strip, but I've had to use short leaders because I've been out by myself the last 2 days. If you use a long 8 foot leader the size generally improves. My biggest fish at the cap were always using almost a 10 foot leader in the past. Way too long a leader for my shorter rods on my smaller boat these days.

a fitting end to my shortened season at the Cap tonight, only had the boat in the water 10 days and got out 5 times. Got out there at 5:15 tonight and within half an hour had a pretty 5# chrome coho in the box, fished for about 45 mins and was about to call it a season when the top rod hits I could tell it was a spring but didn't think it had a lot of size to it, steered out to the middle to play it out, I usually fish alone and never reel up both lines I just keep fishing the second rod while landing the fish. I got this one close and got a look at the tail and thought Holy **** I've got a tyee here!! still kept fishing the second rod, when the fish ran between the boat and the other rigger and the flasher snap swivel fouled in the second line I was starting to doubt my reasoning for keeping that one down! managed to get the rod under the boom and then just cut the other line I only had a naked herring on it anyway. I finally netted the fish and saw it was definitely over 25# but not 30# Built like a Columbia River fish short and fat like a tank, a nice white male huge, wrist and tail. I could have fished another half hour but decided to end on a high note. Both fish hit the chovie at Frank Mahovilich, or was it Darryl Sittler? Doubt I will ever stop fishing the second rod while playing a fish still looking for the double header with 2 tyees LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back