New to me boat, what should we rig it with?

ReelDreams

So this is my first boat, and my first thread. The boat is an 18' Center console. 60 horse motor. It comes with a vhf radio and antenna and a depth finder. Mounting plates for riggers. Not really a heck of a lot more.

What are the must haves for my boat. Would yah mount a radar dome on top and a great big chart plotter, GPS, fish finder combo.

And what brands, so many to choose. Which is the most user friendly? As for budget I haven't set a limit. A lot of this stuff can move to the next boat or be sold with.

I know there is a bunch of safety must haves. That's first and far most really.

Just looking to you guys on here that had more experience with this stuff.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to the comments.

RD

Attachments

• IMG_2622.JPG
    IMG_2622.JPG
    830 KB · Views: 360
ask yourself what you are doing with the boat? travelling in fog across channels? (radar) for sure if this is the case.. i am putting a small gps unit or may even just use a tablet with navionics app. keeping it single battery, mounting a home made kicker plate and a used 4hp for emegencies only.. most likely mine will never go offshore... and all the usual safety stuff, flares, airhorn, bailer, anchor , etc...

Safety first for sure.....Required safety equipment. Inflatable vest (wear it, after two outings you'll forget its on and drive home with it on). Vhf license for that radio, so you know how to use it properly. Extra tow ropes, battery booster cables (better yet dual batteries too), few tools, etc.
Now to fishing.....scotty downriggers (high speed nice but not a must),
10'6 mooching rods, reels (your choice... price range), couple 15 lb cannon balls and a spare. Flashers (go with some like green onion glow and purple onion glow). Few Spoons, stay with the green/chanteuse/white theme, smaller 3.5 and 4. Few hoochies, again keep with green theme, white is good, mauve/blue.
Good luck!

I would get a fish finder/GPS combo that can add RADAR later if needed. I have a Garmin CHIRP sounder/GPS with the optional map cartridge. The depth contour detail is amazing. CHIRP is quite good at detecting Salmon. This will help you decide how deep to run your lures. You will want a transducer with a low "Q" factor. The Airmar transducer site explains this. A large screen shows more "history" of what was seen on the F/F.
I'd get the powerful Scotty's as they can handle a 20# ball.
IMHO the biggest challenge in Salmon fishing is what to do if you aren't catching Salmon; (1) change lures, (2) change depth, (3) move. With CHIRP, if you are not seeing any fish on the F/F you can be fairly confident there are no fish and you should move. A guide that fishes the area every day may be inclined to "wait for the bite" based on what happened yesterday. Paying attention to other boats (especially the guides) is always good.

I had a center console and I really liked it but weather in BC forced me to buy a wac. I found it helpful to install canvas screen wings on the side of the center console that you unroll in bad weather to keep you dry.

Last edited:
All safety gear as mentioned above.
GPS/Chartplotter/DS is a must.
Dual batteries (one dedicated to engine start and one for "House" - Depth sounders, electronics etc. ),
A GOOD VHF - DSC c/w quality 8' fibreglass 6 dB antennae preferably also AIS. Network it into your chartplotter and it will show you all boats over 300 tons and and all ferries and other passenger vessels
Fenders if you ever plan on rafting up to a fibreglass boat,
A decent stereo
as mentioned, Wings on side of console and extend hard top cover.
Split loom covering for all that exposed wiring along the hull

Gimme a chance , I am sure I can find really good ways to spend your money................

All safety gear as mentioned above.
GPS/Chartplotter/DS is a must.
Dual batteries (one dedicated to engine start and one for "House" - Depth sounders, electronics etc. ),
A GOOD VHF - DSC c/w quality 8' fibreglass 6 dB antennae preferably also AIS. Network it into your chartplotter and it will show you all boats over 300 tons and and all ferries and other passenger vessels
Fenders if you ever plan on rafting up to a fibreglass boat,
A decent stereo
as mentioned, Wings on side of console and extend hard top cover.
Split loom covering for all that exposed wiring along the hull

Gimme a chance , I am sure I can find really good ways to spend your money................

It's all good, I've never had a hard time spending money lol. Want to make sure that there is a thought process behind it. All this information is great!

I would look at getting a nice high thrust Kicker in the 8 - 9.9hp range! (Yamaha or Merc) Yammy seems to be the way to go nowadays and make sure to get a set of throttle controls for the kicker, nothing worse then having to run back and forth to speed up or slow down your troll depending on the tide. Also have it plumbed inline with your main fuel tank.

Its a nice safety feature to have incase of a issue with your main power, you can always putter on back on a kicker hell of alot better then paddling!

Mmmm not so sure about kicker plumbed to main tank unless there's a small day tank it can also be connected to. If you view the kicker as a safety chute then you should guard against possible contaminated gas or the main running the big tank dry.

Mmmm not so sure about kicker plumbed to main tank unless there's a small day tank it can also be connected to. If you view the kicker as a safety chute then you should guard against possible contaminated gas or the main running the big tank dry.

Yes I agree, it always nice to have a small day tank that is always filled on land. That way there is way less chance of "bad"gas. I also agree with getting a good size kicker motor 8 or 9.9. I know I enjoy trolling way more on the kicker than the main unless the weather dictates differently.

When you decide what kind, model of fish finder/ GPS unit your buying, consider purchasing the best transducer you can afford. Some say it's more important than the unit it self.

Oly

Finally picked my boat up on Saturday!!!!!

Couldn't be happier considering I never went to see it in person.

Got these two gems to throw on it, a couple 2106b. Should be a good start.

Kinda surprised that Bridgeview never strapped the boat down for shipping. Lucky I had some straps to strap it down to the trailer with.

Anyways will keep yah posted on the upgrades.

RD

Attachments

• IMG_2956.JPG
    IMG_2956.JPG
    389.9 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_2957.JPG
    IMG_2957.JPG
    315.4 KB · Views: 115
Back