BLACK BOX

totally tyee

This is an arguement that I have been involved in many times. What is everyones oppinion on the use of a Black Box? I personally think that it makes no difference what so ever. I know that Yo Mama has an opinion on this and there are many different factors. Whats yours?
Totally Tyee

Edited by - totally tyee on 01/26/2004 19:19:08

I've got to agree with DHA on this one. It was actually guiding out of Weigh West in 1997 that convinced me. I was more than sceptical about the black boxes I saw on the boats of the more experienced guides and in fact, I put both feet deeply in my mouth mocking them.

About my second week there the bite was totally on for pretty much every guide at Portland Point except me. I kept hearing radio conversations between fellow guides talking about "cranking the box up to 7, they really want it hot!". Of course I had no idea what they were talking about and kept changing gear to no avail, but found out what was going on when I got back to the dock. The fish needed a "hot" `positive charge off the cable to get them interested that day. According to the other guides, all you had to do was crank up the box and the bite came on. There I was skunked, no tip, and pissed off guests. Needless to say, I put in a request for a black box the next day and haven't looked back since.

Now, its not always that simple, but I have had a few days since where it seemed that the charge off the cable made all the difference. In most cases, a black box will make sure your boat isn't repelling fish.

DHA is right - the technology was developed by commercial fishermen. The correct use of a black box is not simple and if you screw it up it can cause more harm than good. Read the manual!!!!

Bob

I've got to agree with DHA on this one. It was actually guiding out of Weigh West in 1997 that convinced me. I was more than sceptical about the black boxes I saw on the boats of the more experienced guides and in fact, I put both feet deeply in my mouth mocking them.

About my second week there the bite was totally on for pretty much every guide at Portland Point except me. I kept hearing radio conversations between fellow guides talking about "cranking the box up to 7, they really want it hot!". Of course I had no idea what they were talking about and kept changing gear to no avail, but found out what was going on when I got back to the dock. The fish needed a "hot" `positive charge off the cable to get them interested that day. According to the other guides, all you had to do was crank up the box and the bite came on. There I was skunked, no tip, and pissed off guests. Needless to say, I put in a request for a black box the next day and haven't looked back since.

Now, its not always that simple, but I have had a few days since where it seemed that the charge off the cable made all the difference. In most cases, a black box will make sure your boat isn't repelling fish.

DHA is right - the technology was developed by commercial fishermen. The correct use of a black box is not simple and if you screw it up it can cause more harm than good. Read the manual!!!!

Bob

Bob

Bob

Ya I think totally knows how I feel on this subject. I can really only attest my knowledge of the black box to the QCI's. I seen two boats have a great season using them while the rest of the boats had average results. All of the other guides were considering purchasing the box when these boats results took a plung this season. I figured out the success was the fisherman not the gear as they were trolling a little fasted than the other boat which was triggering more hook ups.

My personal opinion and let me repeat this is my thought on the subject is that after 20 years of fishing all over the coast I have concluded that fisherman give to much credit to the fish.

It's pretty sad really.

Yes I will admit that some items tend to improve catch rates (ie flashers) but to tell me that a fraction of a volt going down 50 feet of cable through your downrigger clip and dispersed through out the pacific ocean is like some magnet to salmon, I cant belive it.

The one thing I know what works is a obsrvant fisherman who can adapt his or her methods to catch fish in all situations by figuring out the feeding habits of a fish with a brain the size of a pea.

I mentioned this to a west coast lodge owner once who had proved there wasn't much to them by swaping his "hot" boat that was dialed in with the box with another guide who was having difficulties hook fish. The second they swaped boats so did the number of fish and the box came up dry.

Just my thoughts on da matter!

Buhda

Ya I think totally knows how I feel on this subject. I can really only attest my knowledge of the black box to the QCI's. I seen two boats have a great season using them while the rest of the boats had average results. All of the other guides were considering purchasing the box when these boats results took a plung this season. I figured out the success was the fisherman not the gear as they were trolling a little fasted than the other boat which was triggering more hook ups.

My personal opinion and let me repeat this is my thought on the subject is that after 20 years of fishing all over the coast I have concluded that fisherman give to much credit to the fish.

It's pretty sad really.

Yes I will admit that some items tend to improve catch rates (ie flashers) but to tell me that a fraction of a volt going down 50 feet of cable through your downrigger clip and dispersed through out the pacific ocean is like some magnet to salmon, I cant belive it.

The one thing I know what works is a obsrvant fisherman who can adapt his or her methods to catch fish in all situations by figuring out the feeding habits of a fish with a brain the size of a pea.

I mentioned this to a west coast lodge owner once who had proved there wasn't much to them by swaping his "hot" boat that was dialed in with the box with another guide who was having difficulties hook fish. The second they swaped boats so did the number of fish and the box came up dry.

Buhda

It's pretty sad really.

Buhda

It's pretty sad really.

Buhda

Pardon my ignorance on the subject but what are you reffering to when you say black box.

Thanks

Pardon my ignorance on the subject but what are you reffering to when you say black box.

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks

Where can one pick up a "black box"? any websites?

Tall Tails

Tall Tails

Tall Tails

Tall Tails

Back