Status
Not open for further replies.
Did an over nighter at Silva Thrasher Grande are with my gooderer half yesterday today.
Tons on crap in the water, from full on trees to Christmas garland like weeds ...... Tons of endless salad both days.
Picked up some crab before heading over yesterday AM.
Started at the Grande...... Finally found the fish ..... 180 ish feet. Green Glo white 4 inch Coyote, Skinny G look alike same colours homemade by pops along with Blue Silver Coyote were our hot spoons. All behind green theme flashers 4-5 foot leaders trolled fast.Lots of unders, small springs and coho mixed. Kept pluggin away and boxed our fish to 12 pounds...... A few long line releases on what felt like bigger fish.
Started late today..... Same deal, fish were 175 to 190 deep...... Lots of marked or clipped fish. All reds, 80% clipped. Thanks to the USA again as our government certainly isn't helping in any way. If it were not for the USA..... Would we be catching anything? IMO ...... Not nearly the success were presently having.
Shout out to the Boys from Berrys Baits, Trevor a family member scored us on a downriver repair which helped us out emmensly on the water. Thanks guys. Much appreciate your help!
On return to the North Arm..... Held up a bit and waited for more delicious Dunggies.....yummy.

I know of a BIGGY caught tonight near Nanaimo off the fingers neck pt area...... Not sure it's weight yet but likely high twenties to maybe in the 30s. Congrats to the angler.....

Couple of great days on the water with my better half..... She's getting good this ....lol

Last edited:
Keep the reports Rollin in. Looks like I finally get my turn tomorrow. Thrasher or s Bowen? ??

Lots of marked or clipped fish. All reds, 80% clipped. Thanks to the USA again as our government certainly isn't helping in any way. If it were not for the USA..... Would we be catching anything? IMO ...... Not nearly the success were presently having.

No we would probably be closed to protect the Fraser fish for the square lures on the river and to feed the Orcas.

Canada's wild salmon policy, while well intended has been a total disaster.

No we would probably be closed to protect the Fraser fish for the square lures on the river and to feed the Orcas.

Canada's wild salmon policy, while well intended has been a total disaster.

While well intended nothing ........ Officials continue to see spawning habitat destroyed doing dick about it. They call for Zero accountability from logging practices in the mountains that destroy our creeks rivers and streams ........and a real kicker.....turn a blind eye on the FN fishery with NO ACCOUNTABILITY ., it's all take take take by certain groups that go unpunished ...... Just like wildlife. Since when does one band member need 330 Sockeye or 5 moose each. PATHETIC !

Then there's the Subject of FISH FARMS.
Even the government own scientists KNOW FULL WELL the HARM these farms are doing not only to the environment they inhibit ........ BUT THE HARM TO WILD SALMON.
SPINELESS officials turning a blind eye for nothing but mor GDP.
Our PAST GOVERNMENTS and PRESENT ........ Continue to NOT CARE for our Wild Stocks

Last edited:
Any tips on speed and leader length for spoon fishing? I’ve always been an anchovy guy myself but it sounds like I could use some fine tuning with spoons as I haven’t had any luck on a spoon so far.

Anybody out today? Whats the water like? Thinking of attempting to cross to thrasher, although wind forecast is not great...
It’s a little lumpy on this side. Some white caps, so i didn’t go more than a mile north silva bay. Two keepers, five released, three long line releases, all before 9:30. 120-130’.

Any tips on speed and leader length for spoon fishing? I’ve always been an anchovy guy myself but it sounds like I could use some fine tuning with spoons as I haven’t had any luck on a spoon so far.
Speed it up and use longer leader lengths 6' isn't too long if you're using a flasher.

2.8-3kts for speed, or about a 45' angle on your downrigger line. Try turning a lot. If you're getting fish on the outside rod of a turn, speed up. If you're getting a fish on the inside rod on a turn, then slow down. chances are you're going too slow.

Leader length is not that big a deal, but you want the lure about 5-8' away from the flasher. I find the green coloured flashers work better, but that's not to say others don't.

Use tried and true colours for spoons. Don't worry about the razzle dazzle spoons with secret code names. Black and white (cop car), Green with Glow (Kermit/Irish Cream/Bon Chovy), Black-green-white (kitchen sink/trap shack). Chartreuse-orange-white (outfitter/homeland security.) Make sure your hooks are sticky sharp.

Watch for others hitting fish, and without horning in, get in to the same area and maybe you'll hit a school.

2.8-3kts for speed, or about a 45' angle on your downrigger line. Try turning a lot. If you're getting fish on the outside rod of a turn, speed up. If you're getting a fish on the inside rod on a turn, then slow down. chances are you're going too slow.

Leader length is not that big a deal, but you want the lure about 5-8' away from the flasher. I find the green coloured flashers work better, but that's not to say others don't.

Use tried and true colours for spoons. Don't worry about the razzle dazzle spoons with secret code names. Black and white (cop car), Green with Glow (Kermit/Irish Cream/Bon Chovy), Black-green-white (kitchen sink/trap shack). Chartreuse-orange-white (outfitter/homeland security.) Make sure your hooks are sticky sharp.

Watch for others hitting fish, and without horning in, get in to the same area and maybe you'll hit a school.

I agree 100% with the above. My only observation to add is that even though I troll on the fast side I still get proportionately a lot of hits in the middle of a turn. The sharper turns seem to be more productive. Always on the outside rod. Never once on the inside rod.

I think the fish just follow the lure for some time and then hit it when it speeds up and changes directions. The fish must think the lure is trying to get away so it triggers an attack instinct. Just like running away from a barking dog - it will chase you and be more aggressive.

Our lures get inspected and followed a lot more than they get attacked. Sometimes that turn which changes the lure action is the key to getting the fish to commit. But of course it only works if a fish is following it.

Just my thoughts.

Hello Fishers

Fished the last two days at thrasher limited out both days,doing the same thing fishing deep 180-255ft on the riggers out in about 500-800 ft of water.uv hootchie was on fire so I ran it on both sides,also did good on the herring aid spoon 3.5.I use aprox 6ft leader with a flasher.Yes the water was ruff yesterday so best way to fish in really ruff conditions put the stern to the wind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back