Gibbs spoons

michael_reiber

What is everyone elses experience with Gibbs? I saw a ton of rave about how well there spoons were working, so I went out and bought an irish cream cop car, trap shack and a no bananas skinny G spoon, and I am rather disappointed with them, sure they do catch fish but they don't last. My skinny G spoon by the second fish it was missing paint on the bottom quarter of the spoon, the hook broke on the third fish, and I just don't think that is accecptable quality for something you pay nearly $8 for. And my other spoons have been used twice and the paint is starting to chip as well and the hooks are some what rusted and I rinse all my gear in the sink after every outting. I have spoons that have been passed down from my dad from when he was a kid to me and they are in the same kind of condition if not better and they have a lot more miles then my new gibbs spoons. Maybe I expect to much? Maybe I just had a bad first experience? What does everyone else think.

Seems it's like that with several brands nowadays.
I like the Skinny G's for fish-catching ability but I change the hooks out on them, as I do with just about every spoon I buy.

Soon as a maker starts getting them produced in China, things go downhill.

Definitely poor quality materials used. The funny thing is they seem to brag about it on their social media, showing pictures of chipped paint and rusty hooks to somehow prove how great they are.

I stay away from anything that brand. Much better options out there imo
By reading these replies I think I will be staying clear of Gibbs as well from now on. Id rather pay a few dollars more and get something that will last I think its crazy to go spend $8 and still have to put a new hook on the lure.

Some Coyotes are fine...just change the hook out. The Glow finished ones and ones Made in Indonesia are still good bets.

Go to PNT and they have all kinds of spoons available which will work very well... :)

TKO work quite well...

Beware the Parksville Store is awesome!

The one thing is that sport spoons are designed around sport fishing techniques and sport fishing speeds... and commercial gear may require certain changes in your fishing techniques.

I personally use Gear I have hoarded and collected over years....if you go to PNT there is no reason to ever fish gear you have fallen out with.

Old Coyotes all the way and Silver Horde Kingslayers are holding up very well. Can't get a spring on a AP spoon to save my life ? Not going to give up on it yet.

Old Coyotes are rare finds.

There are some old Made in USA Coyotes on EBay....they are the freshwater colours...but 3 of the many of them look interesting. The Watermelon ones...

Flimsy , **** paint and hooks, not to mention how annoying all their gimmicky names and tag lines are, eg " Killy Macgee" , "twisted sista " . Been running Pesca spoons for awhile now and have 0 complains whatsoever. Best glow on the market.

Pesca is a high quality spoon. I still change the hooks. Heck I even swapped hooks out on some kingslsyers. Silver horde are my favourite. Not all that durable either though imo.

Flimsy , **** paint and hooks, not to mention how annoying all their gimmicky names and tag lines are, eg " Killy Macgee" , "twisted sista " . Been running Pesca spoons for awhile now and have 0 complains whatsoever. Best glow on the market.

Yes, some great colours in there and they work...certain sizes in particular.

Back